Weird BUSA issue

Jsthom3

Registered
Hello everyone I have a 2000 BUSA and I'm getting hard starts and stalls. The weird thing is that when I prop my tank up it starts right up and revs like a BUSA should but when I put it back down it's hard to start and when it does start it stalls. I took my fairings off and noticed the fan does not come on and the bike was getting hot. I already took apart the fuel pump and change the filters and it ran great but then it stalled giving me a oil pressure light. I do have a leak in the stator cover gasket and plan on fixing when the gasket comes by Fedex. Can anyone tell me why this happens and or what I can do to fix it. I have a half of tank of gas in it but of course when I raise the tank it reads like I have more.
Thanks in advance.

Hello everyone I have a 2000 BUSA and I'm getting hard starts and stalls. The weird thing is that when I prop my tank up it starts right up and revs like a BUSA should but when I put it back down it's hard to start and when it does start it stalls. I took my fairings off and noticed the fan does not come on and the bike was getting hot. I already took apart the fuel pump and change the filters and it ran great but then it stalled giving me a oil pressure light. I do have a leak in the stator cover gasket and plan on fixing when the gasket comes by Fedex. Can anyone tell me why this happens and or what I can do to fix it. I have a half of tank of gas in it but of course when I raise the tank it reads like I have more.
Thanks in advance.

Tank down,runs like crap.Right. Lift tank motor runs fine.Right. You are kinking the fuel line as you lower the tank.
Oil light comes on when it stalls,but no other time? You flash it back up and the warning light goes out?
Rubb.

Damn I feel stupid that's exactly what is was. I wonder the dealer that sold it to me so cheap did not figure this out. Because they would not look at it until I paid them. I decided to try fixing it my self. The rubber hose is getting flimsy and is bending when I put the tank down. I see pics of owners using a different fuel hose it almost looks metal. I need to try that. Yes oil light comes on when it stalls that's it. Thanks for the help my newbie brain would have wasted $100 of dollars trying to figure this out.

Damn I feel stupid that's exactly what is was. I wonder the dealer that sold it to me so cheap did not figure this out. Because they would not look at it until I paid them. I decided to try fixing it my self. The rubber hose is getting flimsy and is bending when I put the tank down. I see pics of owners using a different fuel hose it almost looks metal. I need to try that. Yes oil light comes on when it stalls that's it. Thanks for the help my newbie brain would have wasted $100 of dollars trying to figure this out.
No worries. Change out that line sooner than later. It is old and kinking easily.It is flimsy. What you may have seen as far as lines go is the type that have a coiling of wire surrounding it. Stops kinks,keeps the line from touching hot motor parts. yer bike is 20 years old. Time to look at lots of things before they fail on the road. You want a check list?
Rubb.

Cool. Fix it before its broke. :laugh: Fuel lines on a 2000 were krap right outa the gate. My 2000 main fuel line split length wise while riding in 2003.
Change all yer fuel lines. 99/2000 had crummy fuel systems. Consider an' external pump.The stock fuel filter disintegrates causing bits to lodge on top of the injector screens.I would guess you have gunk there. Yer coolant hoses will be weak.Yer brake lines,same.If yer brakes are stock,its a gr8 time for better lines and some HH pads.Cheap fix for better brakes.The list would be about 50 things but just doing some easy things will keep u from being stranded.
Yer 2000 may develope cam chain issues.
I believe there was a recall on the alluminum sub frames,they crack.(a drag strip guy will possibly give u his steel one and cash for your ally better if u do 2 up riding and have changed the exhaust from stock.Stock system carries some weight)
They can have starter gear issues.
The clutch nut can come loose.
I'm sure there's more...
Rubb.

I've been interested in an aluminum tail for some time. I might buy it off you if it's a direct swap between gens.

fuel lines?

see pic and you should have a good idea what to do next.

6-03%20geht%20noch%20schlimmer%20-%20zwei%20knicke.jpg

the early ´00 may have the hoses of the ´99

order and replace both by
Art.-Nr. (hose 1) : 15801 - 24 F 10
Art.-Nr. (hose 2) : 44433 - 24 F 00

I don't know if you seen my post in your other thread but that "dealer"is a bit of a joke. Not much fir a repair shop, don't stock tires or many parts they seem to pretty much just deal with buying and selling used bikes. Not that it's a bad thing but after my dealings with them isn't no way is let them touch any bike of mine or someone I know. Glad rubb was able to point u in the right direction and get that issue sorted.

I've been interested in an aluminum tail for some time. I might buy it off you if it's a direct swap between gens.
Not a direct swap. Different part #'s too. See pics.
I don't think it is a direct swap from Gen 1 to Gen 2 . . . some mods needed . .
there are others here that have more info on that than me, just my 2 cents worth :cool:
Kiwi is correct.It has been done thou.
fuel lines?

see pic and you should have a good idea what to do next.

View attachment 1623273

the early ´00 may have the hoses of the ´99

order and replace both by
Art.-Nr. (hose 1) : 15801 - 24 F 10
Art.-Nr. (hose 2) : 44433 - 24 F 00
Mr.Berlin is always qwik with the genuine part #'s. I just use heavy duty line with bullet proof clamps.
I don't know if you seen my post in your other thread but that "dealer"is a bit of a joke. Not much fir a repair shop, don't stock tires or many parts they seem to pretty much just deal with buying and selling used bikes. Not that it's a bad thing but after my dealings with them isn't no way is let them touch any bike of mine or someone I know. Glad rubb was able to point u in the right direction and get that issue sorted.
If there's one thing Dopey isn't, its dopey. If he says don't go there....
Find somewhere else.
Mythos...Gen 1's ally or steel,same thing.

Gen 1

Rubb.

Thanks buddy I'm starting to realize that. It's best if I learn how to maintain my bike for peace of mine and to keep some money in my pocket.

Cool. Fix it before its broke. :laugh: Fuel lines on a 2000 were krap right outa the gate. My 2000 main fuel line split length wise while riding in 2003.
Change all yer fuel lines. 99/2000 had crummy fuel systems. Consider an' external pump.The stock fuel filter disintegrates causing bits to lodge on top of the injector screens.I would guess you have gunk there. Yer coolant hoses will be weak.Yer brake lines,same.If yer brakes are stock,its a gr8 time for better lines and some HH pads.Cheap fix for better brakes.The list would be about 50 things but just doing some easy things will keep u from being stranded.
Yer 2000 may develope cam chain issues.
I believe there was a recall on the alluminum sub frames,they crack.(a drag strip guy will possibly give u his steel one and cash for your ally better if u do 2 up riding and have changed the exhaust from stock.Stock system carries some weight)
They can have starter gear issues.
The clutch nut can come loose.
I'm sure there's more...
Rubb.
When you say replace external pump you mean bypass the whole fuel filter mechanism attached on the right side of the bike? Or just put a aftermarket pump in the casing?

When you say replace external pump you mean bypass the whole fuel filter mechanism attached on the right side of the bike? Or just put a aftermarket pump in the casing?
You have a 2000 right? Is the fuel pump not in the tank?
Rubb.

No it bolted on the side, inside the gray casing. I already took it apart and changed the filter screens and it had a blue quantum pump in it. I look on there site and those pumps are guaranteed for life or they will replace it.

No it bolted on the side, inside the gray casing. I already took it apart and changed the filter screens and it had a blue quantum pump in it. I look on there site and those pumps are guaranteed for life or they will replace it.
PERFECT. A previous owner has cured a known early Busa issue.
You are good to go my friend. :thumbsup:
Ride it,like you stole it.
Rubb.

Back