weight savings? what have you removed for this? any ideas anyone?

i want to remove anything i don't need on the bike, i just received my micron and my undertail from FSMD is on its way, plus i'm doing the signals in the tail light with a kit i already have. what else can i remove? what have some of you done or taken off for weight savings? (i don't want to get any carbon or rims etc) just stuff i can do myself.

thanks maniac

oger, were do you live? east coast,west coast? i no of a great powder coater on the east coast around phila.

Oger,

Are you sure you want you frame TiN coated?

It is a physical vapor deposition process. Do you realize what kind of temperatures are required to vaporize titanium? You also realize that aluminum is VERY sensitive to heat. IF you heat it up too much, you frame will function like a wet spagetti noodle (even after colling).

-Dana

I had not realized what the exact process was for titanium coating. I just liked the look and know that it will last forever. What other coatings would you suggest. Thanks for setting me straight

MANIAC MARSHALL....for weight savings, remove the PAIR system completely, and just thread the holes with a 6mm tap, and put in four little bolts. The stock footpegs are also heavy compared to Aluminum ones. You could also ditch the stock rear sprocket for an aluminum one.Thats about 10 lbs lighter, better looking, and better running!What exhaust system have you installed on your bike?

I am sorry I kind of got off the subject I will start a new thread. If you do not carry a rider then I would take off the entire passanger footpeg assembly, it weighs a lot. Have a bracket made-up for the exhaust. ALso you can do the 520 chain conversion as listed by jeffw.

Well, theres one area that we have all forgot to check on when looking where to loose weight. The rider.

I know that when I was 140lbs it probably helped my GSXR a little bit. The guys over 200lbs had a disadvantage.

-Dana

13 pounds saved with magnesium dymags, 17 pounds saved with magnesium carbon combo, 20 saved with full carbons. How much ya wanna lose? How much ya wanna spend?

The 2 biggest and easiest (not necessarily cheapest) weight reduction mods will be a ti exhaust system and a set of 5 spoke Dymags. These changes will get you around 40 pounds. I plan on doing both.

Tom, what is the wieght difference between the Dymags & stock wheels?

Chucky(cyclestuff) changed the frontend on his Busa for a Big wieght loss! (not sure how much)

I think I'm ready to play this wieght game also?

Does anyone know where to get steel braided radiator hoses. ALso who does good powder coating/plating. I was thinking about either having my frame polished, powder coated, or titanium nitride coated.

My best price for mag Dymags was $1800.

How about reflectors. They total a pound.

Brake disks could be lighter. I looked at a PFM kit of rotors, calipers, pads and hoses. that saved a bit of rotating weight.

Titanium fasteners

Carbon fiber fairings. Ask Kawabuser for the weights and prices.

The question is not how much weight you can save, it's how many freedom chips ($$$) do you have to spend.

Man that is pricey for the wheels. That is what I was quoted for Marchesinis as well. For 1800 bones you could increase the power output to make up for the weight.

Are you sure you don't want carbon fiber body work? Saw beautiful stuff at the Sharkskins booth in the paddock during BikeWeek.

Really, you could do it yourself, just bolt on body panels.

So far I have removed the following

Stock wheels replaced with Dymags 12lbs
Stock exhaust replaced with Yoshi 22 lbs
Removed both rear pegs 3 lbs
Removed pair valves and pump 2 lbs
Chopped rear fender and blinkers 1 lbs
Removed all reflectors 1 lbs
Removed lead weight from pegs 1 lbs
--------------------------------------------
Total 42 lbs

Started jogging and lost 23 lbs myself for a total of 65 lbs off last years total weight.

Don
RoadDog

Richard has a point about carbon -vs- sharkskinz. When you talk weight, carbon is the best, however should you ever drop your bike get ready to replace those nice carbon parts parts (they are quite brittle).

Sharkskinz are way better when it comes to flex. They also do not crack/spider, the price is also fair.

If you are looking at weight reduction here are some ideas:

1) full ti exhaust.
2) mag or carbon wheels. ($$$)
3) body (replace head light assy, mirrors).
4) 520 chain/sprocket conversion.
5) remove misc stuff (weights, grab rail, foot pegs, etc).
6) calipers & rotors. ($$)
7) ti bolt kit & axles ($$).
8) trip. clamp & clipons.
9) carbon or al fuel tank. ($$$)
10) Ohlins forks/shock. ($$$$)

You can get into spending serious cash on some of these things. My bike on the scales was 464 lbs. back sometime last year. Rad Greaves racing busa tips the scales around 409 lbs.

Back