Weight lifting .

Its ugly but a new best 280 lb today ;)

Congrats on a new PR c10 :beerchug:

I’m not Mr. Olympia so take my 2cents with a grain of salt........ I’ve watched your form during the lift a few times now and here’s the advice I would give you if you were a client or we were working out together.

1st off I feel your grip on the bar is too narrow. Again I don’t know if you have shoulder issues etc and that is as wide as you can go? I feel if you moved you grip placement slightly wider it would allow you to activate your chest more and displace less of the weight to your triceps

2nd I don’t feel your feet are placed correctly. When you “lock in” to do a press you should have your feet planted firmly on the ground wide enough to maintain a solid base. Back, glutes & core should already be under tension at this point. Kinda like a spring under tension before you wind it up. This will allow you to brace your body and drive the weight back up and complete the rep. You can see in the video how your feet move and your body kinda follows suit. When you start hurking and jerking like that bad things can happen. Most importantly it interferes with the rep and takes away from power pressing the weight. It makes the weight harder for you to lift than it really is.....

The strength is there no question and honestly I feel if you made a few tweaks to your form and technique you could do a lot more. :thumbsup:

@1busa My form on that one went out the window . So no shoulder issues , but part of my more narrow grip is the bar cross hatching is not right or centered . Hence the yellow tape . The outside tape is where my hands are placed on incline bench , and some sets of flat at 65 to 75 % of my weight capabilities. When I one rep max I move in some for a few reasons . My short arms have more trouble getting the heavier weight in , and out of rack cleanly . The other reason is no one can say its a short stroke , or short arm movement . I guess the narrow bench explains why the triceps have really popped out in the last few months .

I want to thank you for the time to respond with your helpful tips , and tricks . Love this place even with @sixpack577 's ball busting ;) Six my joints hated me when motorcycles came into the picture 30 plus years ago my friend . In so many ways today I feel better . My results at home for last 4 months have been better than the gym was . I think my issue at the box chain store gym was to many machines to get sidetracked .
At home the focus is strength , and conditioning . Dad lift , squat , incline / flat bench are the big 4 . They there is Pull ups , and ab work outs followed my many dumb bell , and curl bar exercises .

No problem @c10 :beerchug:

Like I said everything with a grain of salt. If it was me I’d move your hand placement @ least an inch out from where you got it now. Yes your triceps should definitely be a lot bigger and stronger cause your practically doing a close grip style bench. That’s one of the best exercises for tricep strength & size

Another tip I can recommend is hand strength. Get you a couple sets of hand grippers. Can find em on eBay or amazon etc. They very in resistance but you work em a couple times a week and it will allow you to really clamp down on the bar. This will provide more stability and focus on your lift. Proper form on the ascension of the barbell press you want it to feel like your bending the bar in half while pressing it off your chest. This will fully activate your pectoral muscles.
wholesale-hand-grip-100-350-lbs-heavy-duty.jpg

@1busa My form on that one went out the window . So no shoulder issues , but part of my more narrow grip is the bar cross hatching is not right or centered . Hence the yellow tape . The outside tape is where my hands are placed on incline bench , and some sets of flat at 65 to 75 % of my weight capabilities. When I one rep max I move in some for a few reasons . My short arms have more trouble getting the heavier weight in , and out of rack cleanly . The other reason is no one can say its a short stroke , or short arm movement . I guess the narrow bench explains why the triceps have really popped out in the last few months .

I want to thank you for the time to respond with your helpful tips , and tricks . Love this place even with @sixpack577 's ball busting ;) Six my joints hated me when motorcycles came into the picture 30 plus years ago my friend . In so many ways today I feel better . My results at home for last 4 months have been better than the gym was . I think my issue at the box chain store gym was to many machines to get sidetracked .
At home the focus is strength , and conditioning . Dad lift , squat , incline / flat bench are the big 4 . They there is Pull ups , and ab work outs followed my many dumb bell , and curl bar exercises .
Well I will say this. Think about a rubber mat for the dead lift; you had a hitch/hesitation when you start to put it down. This way you won't care about dropping it on the concrete floor. More importantly less likely to have an injury & a little thing is all it takes. The bench just wonder about the safety catch bars right under regular ones; are they adjustable? If so lower them to be above chest when on bench. The are for safety if a lift is missed a fail safe. Not concerned with where your hands are placed can change if uncomfortable. Lift off is mostly mental I prefer doing without as you don't have to readjust to the weight when transferred to you. If/when you hit a max weight don't waste time maxing over and over drop to workout weight for 10 reps increase weight use during workouts until you can do more than 10 reps then up to a new goal repeat. Dumbells to increase strength greater range of motion but mostly control as each has to be stabilized whole rep range. Bryan you did not get this far by accident so take everyones advice with a few grains. Handgrips are good but will not help you bench anymore. Grips shown by Busa1 are the best and should be used as a workout. People make the mistake of doing hundreds even thousands of reps. Same as bench you may not be able to hit max weight every day. Rest, fueling, fatigue, order of exercises (pre exhaustion). You do sets same as weights I worked up to being able to close the 300lb grip with right hand but could not do it every day or attempt. the 350 only half way but only a few people in the world have done that one. Anyway the power lifters train for grip mostly concentrate on the turkey leg what the call the meat at bottom of thumb by gripping plates between 4 fingers & thumb then raising. Happy lifting.

Reactions: c10
Handgrips are good but will not help you bench anymore. Grips shown by Busa1 are the best and should be used as a workout.

I’m sorry but I’ve got to chime in on this 1..... Not trying to get into a pissing match or hijack a thread but that statement couldn’t be any farther from the truth.

All you have to do is google Hand Strength and weightlifting and you will see countless articles and scientific studies/ results that prove a distinct correlation between Hand strength and the ability to lift more weight and complete more reps with a wide range if not all exercises. These are facts not speculation or opinions

I have a real nice hand grip in my van I use a few times a week . Adjustable from 45 to 1xx pounds . My forearms get pretty heavily worked at my regular job . Hence they are nearly as large as my upper arms .
The dumb bells I have are a mere 30 lb max . They are on my list to get a few larger ones soon .
The catches are not adjustable , but I can either build something or now get the wife to spot me .

You know I enjoy harassing you and everyone else here. But, you are freak strong.
My joints don't like heavy weights anymore either, and I also prefer to work out at home.
Keep it up! :beerchug:

Ive spent more than my fair share of time in the gym. Between football and power lifting in days past my back is a total wreck :) I understand the narrow grip to assist with the derack, but you should adjust the bench of possible to get yourself into a more comfortable position and safe. Your grip is at least 2 inches to narrow for bench. Should be working chest more. SHort stroke is for the birds to, anyone who whines about that has never spent some real time under real weight. If you widen your grip i garrantee you can put closer to 30o up in bench. Lastly your fail safe is too high. It should be just high enough to get weight off you. Yours is up far enough you have to utilize a great deal of effort to get it there. If your blown out you are going to get hurt or have to send the plates off either end which is dangerous too.

Just my 2 cents. I have not lifted in a long time though so take it with a grain of salt.

I’m sorry but I’ve got to chime in on this 1..... Not trying to get into a pissing match or hijack a thread but that statement couldn’t be any farther from the truth.

All you have to do is google Hand Strength and weightlifting and you will see countless articles and scientific studies/ results that prove a distinct correlation between Hand strength and the ability to lift more weight and complete more reps with a wide range if not all exercises. These are facts not speculation or opinions

View attachment 1598698
Just feel that by this stage /age in the game of lifting that grip should be a given. If have done forearms & all the curls, back work along with everything else training wise. Did not mean to offend this is just my point of view. Yes i have trained, been trained, competed & worked as a trainer.

We're here for a good time, not a long time. I did the 1000 lb club back in ALC around a year ago due to boredom and having a training partner that liked lifting heavy and not running. Also gained a boat load of body weight, which I'm trying to burn off now. a few weeks ago, I was nearly double your body weight, so your strength/size ratio is massive. Good for you man.

Not @ all . Ill burn all those calories by 3 pm
I like the nurses at the heart attack grill :thumbsup:
I use a. 45 cal bore brush once a month. Works great!

Reactions: c10
Back