Weekends flying Super Cub "Cherry Pie"

@ CZBA Burlington Airpark
This thread is for the general discussion of the item Weekends flying Super Cub "Cherry Pie". Please add to the discussion here.
I learned to fish off the pontoon of my dads old Super Cub when I was a kid. He had all the goodies; tundra tires, ski's, floats etc. He used to take my brothers and sister and I out (how we all fit in a 2 seater I have no idea) to the lakes around Anchorage and let us fish. As we all got older and bigger he begrudgingly sold the Super Cub for a Cessna 205 (just wheels). Much later on he bought a 172 but I don't think he ever dug it near as much as that old SC.

I learned to fish off the pontoon of my dads old Super Cub when I was a kid. He had all the goodies; tundra tires, ski's, floats etc. He used to take my brothers and sister and I out (how we all fit in a 2 seater I have no idea) to the lakes around Anchorage and let us fish. As we all got older and bigger he begrudgingly sold the Super Cub for a Cessna 205 (just wheels). Much later on he bought a 172 but I don't think he ever dug it near as much as that old SC.
We restored this one, it is a 1957 - was a school airplane for teaching tail dragging skills until one fateful day a kid ran it into the gas pumps! After he avoided the lynch mob, it sat around about a year as the school tried to justify fixing it OR not. They offered the wreck for sale, our buddy in our flying club bought it and paid for the parts needed and we did the restore in another buddy's shop. New engine mount, engine, prop, interior, upholstery, all the wiring, instruments, big tires and brakes etc. It didn't need covering so we left it, patched some nasty bits and painted and sign vinyl stripes etc. He then put it into the club so we all got to fly it... then we had a Warrior 160hp an Aeronca Champ 65hp (hand prop glove of love) and the Super Cub. All went well for over a year and then a Jet fighter pilot came along and said he wanted to buy it. So the $90k invested (plus our work) turned into $110K. Then the fighter jock joined our club so we still get to fly it! He has spent another $15k-$20k or so putting Alaskan Bush main gear struts and a really cool tailwheel, we removed the tow hook same time. They just put landing lights and a bunch of electrical charge points and prop was redone... the suspension stuff is like having OHLINs on the Busa, taxi super smooth, don't feel the bumps, landing no bounce, it squats and sticks, like a frog - nice and easy peasey. I like flying to my friend's houses and aerodromes in the country and landing on grass - I stay away from airports like I stay away from cities. We are talking about floats - it is coming up in a meeting soon. The last frontier IMHO - no Police no Radar no Tickets - Take care don't die!

We restored this one, it is a 1957 - was a school airplane for teaching tail dragging skills until one fateful day a kid ran it into the gas pumps! After he avoided the lynch mob, it sat around about a year as the school tried to justify fixing it OR not. They offered the wreck for sale, our buddy in our flying club bought it and paid for the parts needed and we did the restore in another buddy's shop. New engine mount, engine, prop, interior, upholstery, all the wiring, instruments, big tires and brakes etc. It didn't need covering so we left it, patched some nasty bits and painted and sign vinyl stripes etc. He then put it into the club so we all got to fly it... then we had a Warrior 160hp an Aeronca Champ 65hp (hand prop glove of love) and the Super Cub. All went well for over a year and then a Jet fighter pilot came along and said he wanted to buy it. So the $90k invested (plus our work) turned into $110K. Then the fighter jock joined our club so we still get to fly it! He has spent another $15k-$20k or so putting Alaskan Bush main gear struts and a really cool tailwheel, we removed the tow hook same time. They just put landing lights and a bunch of electrical charge points and prop was redone... the suspension stuff is like having OHLINs on the Busa, taxi super smooth, don't feel the bumps, landing no bounce, it squats and sticks, like a frog - nice and easy peasey. I like flying to my friend's houses and aerodromes in the country and landing on grass - I stay away from airports like I stay away from cities. We are talking about floats - it is coming up in a meeting soon. The last frontier IMHO - no Police no Radar no Tickets - Take care don't die!
Our buddy Ken, got too old to fly and he sold his 3-seat Super Cub on straight floats. It had long doors and windows on both sides and could be flown with everything open... that was a really cool floatplane. I started flying in an Aeronca Champ, my Dad used to pull out the back seat stick and jam my sister and I in the back... it worked OK. Here is a PIC from 1965 just recovered and painted new, prop, spinner and wheel pants! The next is me in our Lemon Tart Champ

ChampBill.jpg

ChampClive.jpg

Our buddy Ken, got too old to fly and he sold his 3-seat Super Cub on straight floats. It had long doors and windows on both sides and could be flown with everything open... that was a really cool floatplane. I started flying in an Aeronca Champ, my Dad used to pull out the back seat stick and jam my sister and I in the back... it worked OK. Here is a PIC from 1965 just recovered and painted new, prop, spinner and wheel pants! The next is me in our Lemon Tart Champ

View attachment 1617143

View attachment 1617144
I have never seen a 3 seat Super Cub before. Not the sexiest thing on earth but functional! If I was ever to win the lottery a Cessna Caravan on EDO floats would be right up there! A long time ago the former owner of the Company I then worked for had one. I asked him what the point was. He told me that he could load up 10 of his friends and all their gear and go fishing just about anywhere you care to name, I was sold!

I have never seen a 3 seat Super Cub before. Not the sexiest thing on earth but functional! If I was ever to win the lottery a Cessna Caravan on EDO floats would be right up there! A long time ago the former owner of the Company I then worked for had one. I asked him what the point was. He told me that he could load up 10 of his friends and all their gear and go fishing just about anywhere you care to name, I was sold!
My aviator friends have had an ongoing conversation about that Caravan idea... pool the funds, buy one, fly all over with it and sell it after a year or two of nothing but travel. We have not won a lottery yet and so far, have not become retired in unison and ready to sell homes in order to buy in... nice idea but hard to execute