weekend project - ? for IT gurus

zukracer

I'm somewhere but dont know where
Donating Member
Registered
So I'm trying to consolodate a few external HDs down this new 1.5TB drive. This drive is going to be the primary home for all the MP3 files :whistle:

I managed to figure this out once but cant recall how I did it last time, though I do recall it being major PITA. The question is does anyone know how to get a directory listing output in a way that it easily imports into a spreadsheet? I'd like to include genre, artist, bit rate, folder name, tracks, etc in the output.

I figured out how to get it to do some of that, though its not the best for importing using the dir command and passing some variables.

dir /ON /S >allmp3s.txt but this does not give me what I need. Anyone know how to get the list in a comma/tab seperated format with all the attributes for the file?

To give you an idea of what we are talkin about here, I'm consolodating 5 external drives into the one... the folder structure for the most part is matching up but I'm still working to marry them. This snapshot is only about 5/8s of the way done combining them, so finding an automated way to catalog them would be um... huge :please:

I should mention that this is all physical CD RIPS with a very limited number of "mixes" done by my DJ friends. Its the digital, offsite backup for these professional DJ friends, ya know, just in case they were to loose those bohemouth heavy anus metal cd cases that BigD hates carrying into clubs :laugh:

music2.JPG

Well I am assuming by the ATTRIBUTES you are in fact meaning the information such as title, artist, genre. ID3 tag information is what that information is called. The closest you can get in Dos is dir /O:N /X /S > filename.txt

That is something I don't believe you can get through dos... I would get an ID3 tag reader ID3 Tag 1 <--- example...

Since I have never used a tag reader besides what is defaulted in windows I don't know how it outputs the info or the file type it will drop it in.

You could simply pull the list information then merge it with the ID3 tag information to build your completed list.

If you arent wanting the ID3 information slap me and let me know ill see what I can do to help ya that way.

Last edited:
Thanks! :beerchug:

Those are the exact types of attributes I'm looking for but that tool goes one at a time and with something approaching 200k files, could be a bit time consuming.

Any ideas on how to get a batch load? The thing is that windows knows the attributes already, just trying to find a way to dump it all from the OS file system and into excel or even better into some type of relational DB :beerchug:

i use bpm studio...it has a print and search function that also uses the id3 tags and you can export that into excel or a few other save as file types...you can choose what search terms, artist title album bpm,year genre length bit rate whatever you want and it will categorize them...and the cool thing is you can mix and play your mp3's from there too just like its a dual deck cd player...

Last edited:
cool deal I will check it out. Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

so yeah looks like that app would do it... though, um.. yeah its not cheap :whistle:

ok, so BPM is pretty bad asz :beerchug:

Its been running the search for the past 15mins so far :whistle:

Back