Web hosting - got recommendations?

zukracer

I'm somewhere but dont know where
Donating Member
Registered
I'm looking to setup some sites, 2 maybe 3 different domains and looking to basically fire and forget on the monthly, so unlimited bandwidth is key. I am not going to be running anything close to the .Org, rather just a family site, which will be a big footprint on the webserver but probably not a huge bandwidth user and a few others similar in nature.

I found several:

IXwebhosting.com
hostgator.com
inmotionhosting.com

And a few others rated by CNet. I'm leaning towards the IX hosting for features/price, anyone got any good recommendations?

Thanks in advance :thumbsup: :beerchug:

Zuk - no one is answering your thread. :poke: I have used iPower.com for a couple years and also GoDaddy.com for hosting in the past. For something small, it's cheap $100 a year even for simple site. My homework on hosting companies was relatively inconclusive the frew times I tried to research them. Once you pick one, as many people that like them, as many hate them.

For a site like the pashnit site or this one, think more like thousands and thousands in hosting fees to handle the bandwidth and memory. Had to go big-time private hosting in that instance.

you don't want go daddy then. I had them when I first began....I was on the phone complaining about the site being down more than it was up, limited access to tech support...they are crap in my book.

Try dreamhost.

You'll find a lot of differing opinions on them if you search for it (some people HATE them), but I've been with them for 3 years now and haven't experienced any more problems with them than I did with any other hosting company (and I've gone through a few...) They've always gotten back to me quickly with any problem, and they're very upfront about system status, etc.

Right now, they're unlimited bandwidth and unlimited storage for $5.95/mo. - that sounds too good to be true (and it is - you can't really run a high bandwidth site like the .org or pashnit for 5.95 a month), but for the vast majority of folks it works just fine.

thanks guys. I found a few of them, talked to some coworkers and friends that are still actively (getting paid for it) in web development.

Think I'm going with the IX site, they are about 100/yr and should be enough to cover my 2 sites.

Thanks again for the suggestions :beerchug:

how much bandwidth do you need? (I own a hosting company since 2000)

how much bandwidth do you need? (I own a hosting company since 2000)

dunno, really just more of a disk space issue I think. I want to put all my pix online from my travels and my mother has a ton of family geneology stuff she wants to put up. My grandmother was a professional geneologist so the data is extensive, lots of images, text. bandwidth would be pretty light, though I'd likely link the domain in my sig file and include write ups on things so folks might actually visit it :whistle:

whatcha got in mind? btw, I'd have 2 domains working

thanks!

oh ok... I am more geared towards the smaller sites that require secure servers and open bandwidth.. I have a couple clients that pull 200G plus a month but only have a few hundred megs of files.. Bootdisk.com can easily run 300G a month..

Try a few of the guys on trial periods and see how access times/speeds go.. If disk space is the primary concern, you can do pretty well.. I limit my servers to 80G of usable space (and 3 times that for backup space)

Back