Web Cams

OB_GSXRboy

Registered
Looking to get a set of Web 536/577 Cams.

What kind of price and turn around time am I looking at for those of you who are dealers out there????

Just got a set of cams from Web. Took a little over 3 weeks total.

Is there any possible way to get the cams then return the cores back to you??? Possibly charge extra then credit it once you get the stock ones back???

Just want the cams but don't want the downtime!

Yep...since WEB grinds on your cams as cores, your bike sits till they are finished. My bike is still in many pieces, so a quick turn was not important to me.

...Jay, when is my A.P.E. cam chain tensioner going to arrive? Any news? I sent a monoy order quite a while back...you didn't forget me, did you? I have a turbo kit arriving and really want the manual cam chain adjuster to be installed by then....Regards...

Wow!! $550 bucks for regrinds. Thats insane.

On my GSXR I bought billet cams (Cam Motion G21X) for about $350 and didn't have to send in old cores.

Web Cams from what I have seen are very proud of their products. Are they really that much better than the rest?

Is ayone making new cas for the bike?

-Dana

Harpo;

Call John here at APE on Monday about your tensioner. What name is the order under? We have the tensioners in stock.

Dana;

The Webs are not regrinds, they are welded. If they could do regrinds on a 'busa, they would be half that amount.

Being welded cams, they have to hand weld 16 lobes which is very labor intensive. That is what you are paying for.

Jay

I don't know if I like the sound of welded up cams. Welding is not very good from a metallurgical standpoint. It does not have the optimum combination of properties and most welds that I have examined are very poor compared to the base metal (microvoids, ect).

Someone just needs to make new cams from billet.

-Dana

Dana, Web offers a grind that helps your Busa perform the way that it should.
I run the Web cams in My Busa and I'm very happy with them.
It's really a matter of what engine package & setup you have as to how well any cam will perform.

If you have voids caused by gases thats really bad. Those type of voids are generally up to 2mm in diameter. Very, very bad. The other types of voids you see are much smaller but also cause problems.

There is no easy way to explain the microvoids except that they are generally a by-product of the welding operation based upon the fact that the molten metal is cooled rapidly (through the frezzing point). In general, if it can be avoided, you dont want to weld. It even gets worse when welding dissimlar metals (a whole another story). Sometimes, no matter what you try when welding dissimilar metals it is impossible due to the natue of alloying between the metals. OK enough rambling.

I like single phase, homogenous material. Generally much more predictable (and therefor more robust designs).

-Dana

PS if you want to have fun try welding platinum to titanium. :)

Welded cams are the toughest ones you can buy. They have a much higher surface hardness than regrinds or billets. The lobes are welded with hardfacing rod.

All of the pro stock bikes use welded cams as that is the only thing that will live with the kind of spring pressure they run.

All shim adjuster motors must use welded cams if no blank billet is available. With screw type adjuster motors, they can do a re-grind, where they gring the base circle undersize and reshape the lobe. You can still adjust the valves in this kind of motor using the long adjuster screws we and others sell.

But on shim motors, they can not make the base circle undersize or that would necitate londer valves or thicker than factory available shims.

Jay

Wish this program had a preview mode like they have on DBDC so I could see all of those spelling mistakes better before I hit the post button.

Jay

Back