Weather

dezel1

Donating Member
Registered
I'm sitting here watching heavy rain and tons oh lightning. Was wondering what's the worst weather you ever rode through?

I got caught at work by a "suprise" storm. Had to cross 8 inch deep water for about a half mile. Then when I thought I had the worst behind me I found 1 inch hail waiting for me. Have you every heard hail hitting your helmet? Very loud and obtrousive! My 36 mile ride home took almost 55 mins ( usually 20 ish.) Oh ya had only had the busa for about 2 weeks... not even 500 miles on it yet. I have to say through it all the busa was a very stable and reassuring ride. Couldn't ask for better performance in horrible conditions. It took my gear days to dry out:) Note to self: pack rain gear incase weather man has crack relapse.

<!--EDIT|dezel1
Reason for Edit: None given...|1146868579 -->

Wow man, that beats mine! Coming back to Iowa from a trip to Arizona, I found heavy rain, and 30-40 MPH gust winds - I was leaned over quite a bit while going strait... when the front tire blew 4 inches to the left, I decided to stop and sit it out. I had full rain gear, not knowing what to expect on such a long trip. This was right after all the storms tore up New Orleans and I was west a few states. Ugly. Hope I never HAVE TO ride thru stuff like that again.

Left my home town one day on my 2000 Honda Shadow 1100, lookin at a gorgeous sky! Called some friends of mine back at school and asked them how the weather was (just to make sure). They reassure me that all is well, and its bright sunshine out! (they were all on the volleyball courts)

So, all i have is a pair of jeans, tee shirt and my lid. So i set off, thinkin the next hour and a half was gonna be smoothe sailing....yeah right!

Made it 20 miles south of my destination and the BOTTOM FELL OUT! Weather man reported later wind gusts of up to 30mph, and the rain was horrible! Didnt experience any hail, but its one of those horrific rainstorms that even make cagers pull on the side of the road and turn on their flashers! Needless to say, i continued only to get back to school feeling 20lbs heavier (wet clothes) and sick as a dog! My combat boots took HOURS to dry....wont ever leave out again without my frog togs!

I've ridden in ALOT of storms but the worst had to be at stugis in 02. It started to sprinkle alittle so I said to my buddy lets head back . We were only a couple miles from camp. Anyway It came down in buckets so fast I was soaked in seconds , the campground was covered and my tent was so wet I had to hang it out to dry the next morning. Thankgod my dads tent was on higher ground.

Mine was last summer on the Blue Ridge Parkway, it was so foggy you couldn't see 3 feet,rain in a downpoor,then hail/rain mix. Between the fog,rain,and hail,and my glasses,and shield fogging up, it was the most miserable I have ever been. Were talking for hours,not minutes.

Snow. sitting in my 8am psyco class. Glanced out the window and saw about 2" of fresh snow and coming down hard. Left class immediately.
Or
Full down pour. Rain, leaving about 6-8" deep water at the entrance/exit of toll booth. Only about 2" at the booth. And the rest of I-294 just alot of runoff. 55 mile ride. Sat up and took it. No staying dry that day. Took days for my Jacket to dry.

I think it would have to be this ride. Mid June, 2002. Rained buckets from Orofino, Idaho to Syringa Idaho...then it was clear for ahwile...

Then, snow. From about a mile short of Lolo pass all the way over the other side for 15-20 miles it snowed. Then it turned back to rain.....downpour is more like it.

Here is a pic of us at the summit of Lolo pass (between Idaho and Montana) just after it started...

It's not likely I'll ever forget that ride..

lolo_02.JPG

Hummm...I would say, it was back in 1986, it was new years eve, near mid nite, I was in Kansas City, Mo. I decide to go to Houston, I stick my head out, and there is about 2 feet of snow out there, but on the HWY was cleared...so, I got geared up, and start riding, down south...was about 800 mi, it was bad...all I can remember...but I will never forget that ride of my life...(won't do it again thou...)
sad.gif

so far this season glad for sun now. but heavy rain fog that i could only see maybe 20ft at best and rode on some snow when i went to some Nor cal hills about 2 months ago, i have been told i'am crazy so what. i can't believe some of the crap i rode in this winter

First part of this year. 29 degrees and snowing.

Got caught in a rain storm last fall. Wind was blowing so hard, it blew me and the Busa across three lanes and into the grass median. Couldn't control the bike because of the wind. Had to stop under a viaduct

No I got lucky no hail damage to my bike, but my ears were ringing for a few days lol. I won't do a repeat if at all possible. It was actually confidence building in a wierd way though. I guess the old saying what doesn't kill ya..... applies:)

Worst ever for me was in back before the busa days in college on my old Ninja, coming home on break over the mountain pass. Checked the weather before I left, no rain, broken clouds temp was to be in the mid 40’s. Well the weatherman must have been on drugs, got about half way over the pass and it begun to snow, on the way down it begun to stick. Bikes and snow do not go together at all, then after I got down below the snow level it is now raining for the next 50 miles, that’s the worst for me, one frozen wet motorcycle rider.

Last summer after the meet and greet in Copper Mountain it started pouring freezing cold rain on the way home. I usually have a rain jacket in my tank bag but I went to get it and it wasn't there. That morning I decided against my Joe Rocket Balistic pants and went with my vented pants with shorts underneath instead. Needless to say, I was soaked within a couple minutes. The cold rain ran off the tank and pooled in my crotch area. Luckily I was headed to a party at a friends house which was 50 miles closer than my house. Between uncontrollable shivering and my visor fogging up it was a very interesting ride!

Did a rally once in Colorado that had thunderstorms (heavy rain), lighting, hail and into snow. Then down into Utah and into a sandstorm with high ( don't know speed, but they were high) winds and 100 F temps
sad.gif
. Only rally I haven't finish within the time limit
blush.gif
. But
idea.gif
I sure learned alot about making plans well inadvance and not sticking to a set route
laugh.gif

Riding back from Portland, OR to Seattle last Spring. It started to rain lightly so I stopped and put on the rain gear. I hit the freeway. About 40 miles into my ride the rain got really bad. I could barely see 100ft in it. It had just started to hail when I heard the lightning stike a hill nearby. I decided it would be a good idea to find an overpass to stop under for a while. A second strike of lightning hit really close before I found cover. It was so close I could feel the concussion from the strike. My ChatterBox went static, and my bike shutoff. I had to pop the clutch before I stopped to get it started again. My adrenaline level was so high, I couldn't stop shaking for several minutes. My wife thinks I may have gotten struck, but I don't remember.
tounge.gif

Back