Wearing full leathers is like

Do you guys feel textile, mesh etc is equal in protection to leather?
Not equal to a quality one piece Leather maybe. But plenty equal to an inexpensive leather suit and 100% good enough and tough enough for the streets. They have been making them for years and Aerostitch makes a quality product that holds up.

The Joe Rocket, Icon etc mesh crap, is just that. BUT it's cheap, popular and head-N-shoulders above a t-shirt and jeans so more power to em'.

Aerostitch uses much better materials in their suits than ANY other mesh or textile I have come across. They can take a hit, they last forever and they are made in the good ole' US. Combined with their ease of use it's hard to argue with an Aerostitch for commuting and touring around. Track Days they would work just fine but I'd rather be in leather.

My .02

Nice write-up WWJD, but you missed the most painful part:

When they ride up your crotch when you're walking, and your cluster is suddenly RESTRICTED.

Not good, but it is nice being protected.

Honestly if it's too hot for my gear I simply wouldn't ride. Did that a lot in Tampa.

Dont get me wrong. I wear a lid 99.9% of the time, but full leathers would be unbearable in hot weather.

When I first started riding I thought I would wear leather all the time.
But the first day out riding in 95 degree weather changed my mind. Now for city driving its boots, lid and gloves. If I plan on twisties or Highway.. same but also a leather jacket. I just bought a mesh/textile jacket for city driving with armor for arms,sholders and back. I just haven't been able to buy a pair of leather pants just yet. It looks so 80's
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif

How many honestly wear full leathers in 90 degree heat?
I do. Hot is hot and it sucks. 85 and humid sucks. 110 sucks. it's all the same to me once past the "comfort zone"... adding leather just makes it hotter. when I go out riding, I wear full leathers. When I go to work I dont and will except those concequences. If it was somehow possible to wear leathers to work and then change I would, but I can't see that working.

Leather when I can, mesh gear if it becomes to unbearable in the heat. But my trusty Teknic / Knox back protector is always under both. It's a sense of security for me I guess. Like a security blanket. I also did that ranting and raving write up about summer being here.

I SWEAR THEY'RE OUT TO TARGET ME
wow.gif

By the way, leather or mesh, I have to keep moving to get the air flow... All the more reason to split / share lanes in traffic.

How many honestly wear full leathers in 90 degree heat?
I do.  Hot is hot and it sucks.  85 and humid sucks.  110 sucks.  it's all the same to me once past the "comfort zone"... adding leather just makes it hotter.  when I go out riding, I wear full leathers.  When I go to work I dont and will except those concequences.  If it was somehow possible to wear leathers to work and then change I would, but I can't see that working.
I wear 100% of the time. Going to Alaska 100-110F, 80-85% hum., same @ Sturgis. I tried a few miles w/o the jacket I swear I was cooler with it on. Even @ 110-120mph the heat felt like you your in a blast furnance, Your sweat never got a chance to cool you because it evaperated too quickly. The vents allowed air movement and the jacket retains a sm. layer of sweat to cool the skin. I believe this may also reduce de-hydration slightly.

When it is WAY HOT, the leathers can provide a Good deal of protection from the hot wind. Look at the Bedouins out in the desert all wrapped up, it creates a survivable layer of 100deg air around you preventing the wind and heat from removing all moisture from your body before the sweat gets a chance to cool you down.

Also, Water is your friend, pour it on you, fill your helmet, Saturate the legs of your gear. In the Dryer desert heat this works fuggin great! Once you're moving it's like the A/C is on. In Humid areas??? Play tourist Trophy and mod your bike till the weather improves...
wink.gif

it got HOT here in michigan last week or so and I didnt ride until 8pm. with leather jacket. but earler I rode without jacket... man it was just to hot.. I will be getting a textile jacket just to ease my mind.

Back