Wearing full leathers is like

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
Few people REALLY enjoy wearing FULL LEATHERS when riding. At first. It's really just like learning to walk from crawling.

First you are able to move around on all fours. Seems to work fine. [This is like not wearing leathers.] You get the job done, real basic does what it needs to do - you get there but slowly and not too many options available to you - you can't reach stuff up high, and speed is restricted to how hard you bang your knees on the ground. [Without leathers, the wind beats you up and bugs plaster you and it hurts so you don't go too fast and it gets the job done.]

The you start to walk. YUCK! Why is THIS so hard? ? Do we REALLY NEED to walk? Crawling was just fine, it got the job done... but oh hey... walking looks pretty cool, and it seems to impress bigger people. AND I can reach the cookies.... almost. You hike up on your legs and waddle around and fall down and slowly get used to it [in leathers, at first they are annoyingly restrictive and expensive, but then you see how cool they look, and they add some comfort in knowing you are protected, so you start to wear them a little more and kinda get used to it.]

NOW you are walking with the best of them. You control your speed, regulate your balance and can strut, stride, run, jog, dance, all these cool things you could never do while you were JUST crawling. Other people are walking too, and all cool people walk... people in the know... people who have "arrived". [after a while in leathers, you are so used to them that you never look back or want to go back to crawling without them, that would feel so backwards, so unsafe, actually uncomfortable. Now you can go fast, do trackdays, look like Rossi, and feel protected incase of an accident.]

Who would ever decide to go back to crawling? You can still do it, but it seems and feels so silly, so yesterday, so immature. Why bother?

Who would ever decide to go back to riding leatherless? You can still do it, but it seems and feels so silly, so yesterday, so immature. Why bother?

Stop crawling - learn to walk.
Leather. It does a body good.

ridegear.com

<!--EDIT|WWJD
Reason for Edit: "it's TYPOrific!"|1149175253 -->

Nice. Too bad it won't convert a single squid.
biggrin.gif

Nice PSA Bro,
thumbs-up.gif

You wear full leathers into work today?

full leathers are nice i just wish it was easier to find them for us full sized guys.
(in a more reasonable price range)

full leathers are nice i just wish it was easier to find them for us full sized guys.
(in a more reasonable price range)
Have you tried to Joe Rocket GPX 2 piece? I'm not the most proportionate like Rossi, Mladin, et.al. But the GPX does a fine job and at $500 it's not a bad deal.

Nice PSA Bro,
thumbs-up.gif

naw, just jacket, gloves, helmet, and nice shreddable slacks
smile.gif

but, you know what I'm saying. the moral is: even though people hate the expensive and pain of leathers, after you learn to WALK there, you never go back.

I wear full leathers almost everywhere else. Now I HATE riding without [crawling]

Nice PSA Bro,
thumbs-up.gif

smile.gif

but, you know what I'm saying. the moral is: even though people hate the expensive and pain of leathers, after you learn to WALK there, you never go back.

I wear full leathers almost everywhere else. Now I HATE riding without [crawling]
yeah I know what your Saying Bro and for years I ahve been telling myself I need to get some proper pants. I ride in jeans with some armor underneath but still, the knee down isn't an option and there have been many times where I wished I had the knee down as an option.

I am currently getting a price on a Technic 1 piece that just happened to turn up so if I can figure out how to get it dyed i might pick it up.

I can honeslty say though that right now I would commute in jeans and a t-shirt if I could get away with it. Work is all of 1.4 miles away and it would simplify things.

Good Write up though Bro, good reading makes me want to go ride.

Even in 100 degree Texas heat - full leathers.
Now going to the bathroom really sucks

I wear an Aerostich when I comute, and leathers at the track. The stich is just so much easier to get in and out of.

Nice PSA Bro,  
thumbs-up.gif

smile.gif

but, you know what I'm saying.  the moral is:  even though people hate the expensive and pain of leathers, after you learn to WALK there, you never go back.

I wear full leathers almost everywhere else.  Now I HATE riding without [crawling]
even to work, if I took my bike I would/will wear full gear. My job used to be only 3 miles from the house.

One crash can ruin the entire day.

--Nanwags

Check out the Cortech line. Good quality and fit for a reasonable price.

I'm thinking an Aerostitch Roadcrafter myself. I see the State Troopers wearing them out here and damn if it works for them it's gotta work pretty well.

Good protection, lack of Power ranger appeal, proven safe, and easier and more conveniant to use than leathers.

Do you guys feel textile, mesh etc is equal in protection to leather?

I don't know about mesh, but I know my Roadcrafter is a pretty sturdy bit. Hey if amateur racing leagues allow it's use, it has to be good. Hopefully I won't have to find out first hand how well it protects, though.
biggrin.gif

Back