weapons ban question

pbghost

Registered
was just wondering, with all the talk going on about various bans on firearms, what happens if you own one that gets put on the list? for example, I have been looking at a bushmaster .223 because it suits what I'm looking for...a target / varmit (coyote, wild hog, etc) rifle and is listed as such on the tag- tactical sport / varmit. I don't game hunt. the prices on these keep going up, but am worried that it'll be a waste of money if I can't take it out of the house. anyone in the know, please chime in.

Can't predict the future. Looks like you would have to license it and meet certain criteria. Not sure if it will be retroactive.

What I've read so far. Any weapon with a detachable means of ammo storage would come under this law and the rifle you're speaking of will probably be banned for sale to all but a few as in the past.

Even the original law had loop holes. Say for example : you may not be able to buy the weapon, but you could buy the parts and assemble it :whistle:

Ban is against current manufacture of that specific weapon. If you already own the weapon, it would be a pre-ban and not affected by the ban. Lets say Obama bans certain AR-15's, yours would still be legal since it was manufactured before the ban. Generally, AR15's are on the list and go up in price during ban. People are buying them up left and right because they can double their money during the ban. You can still buy and sell during the ban...just not manufacture the weapon. Most AR15's can still be made but will have certain features banned. Magazines are the same way. Buy the 30rd clips now! Obama will ban manufacture and they will double or triple in price during the ban. He cant ban a weapon that has already been made, only ban new manufacture or new importation of that weapon.

Most likely as others have mentioned there wont be any attempt to TAKE you weapons. You just wont be able to buy new ones.

However some states have enacted rather draconian laws making "ASSAULT WEAPONS" illegal and I believe there is no grandfather on some of those.

Otherwise, yeah, like the Diver says above, your weapons will go up in value, assuming that they don't BAN private sales it could be a pretty good time to invest and then resell in 5 years.

Most likely as others have mentioned there wont be any attempt to TAKE you weapons. You just wont be able to buy new ones.

However some states have enacted rather draconian laws making "ASSAULT WEAPONS" illegal and I believe there is no grandfather on some of those.

Otherwise, yeah, like the Diver says above, your weapons will go up in value, assuming that they don't BAN private sales it could be a pretty good time to invest and then resell in 5 years.
:rofl:

I knew you'd come in here :whistle:

That's how you end up with more and more toys in the meantime. "honey, they are investments..."

Added the SIG 556 Pistol and an XDm .40

IMG_4881.jpg

IMG_4889.jpg

IMG_4971.jpg

my friend had SKSs back in the mid 80s... we could pick them up in pawnshops for $80...now... good god, I wish I'd bought a few

Ban is against current manufacture of that specific weapon. If you already own the weapon, it would be a pre-ban and not affected by the ban. Lets say Obama bans certain AR-15's, yours would still be legal since it was manufactured before the ban. Generally, AR15's are on the list and go up in price during ban. People are buying them up left and right because they can double their money during the ban. You can still buy and sell during the ban...just not manufacture the weapon. Most AR15's can still be made but will have certain features banned. Magazines are the same way. Buy the 30rd clips now! Obama will ban manufacture and they will double or triple in price during the ban. He cant ban a weapon that has already been made, only ban new manufacture or new importation of that weapon.

I have a very large number og mags and rifles, multiple uppers and lowers that are not assembled. I saw this coming a long time ago!!

Already banned in California and private sales are not allowed for banned guns or mags. In fact if you own pre ban guns when you die they can't be transfered to ANYONE that lives in this state, unless they are exempt. Banned guns have to be sold out of state.

Glad i got mine when they were "cheap", great idea to resell during the ban but its hard to give up my toys. wish i had bought more

Back