Weaning the Busa to Synthetic Oil

Hayabusa Man

Registered
I know we'll get hundreds of answers on this one. I think all are in agreement that Busa's should be "broken in" with a mineral based motor oil. And I think most will agree that a synthetic or synthetic blend motor oil should ultimately be the oil of choice on "seasoned" Busas.

The question is at what point (mileage) does one go from a mineral based motor oil to a synthetic blend to a full synthetic motor oil?

I have 1000 miles on my Busa and want to ultimately "wean" my baby to synthetic oil, but I do not know when to start the transition?

Thanks all!

here is what I did and it is based upon research...

first oil change, regular oil and new filter
second change, just regular oil
third oil change, Mobil-1 5w-20 and new filter (1200 miles on her)

WOW! talk about a notice in lubrication!!!
some slowly change over, some just break her in and do complete change..... worked for me.

good luck!

welcome to the board!  
biggrin.gif

I read a Ducati post that had an article on dozens of oils at different weights. Mobil 1 synthetic for motorcycles was right up at the top with the best of them. It is the one i plan to try next change. It was similar to Redline and much better than Amsoil.

Here is the link;

http://www.cd-rom.org/faqs.cfm#q1

lots of great data and advise here.

Thanks Cache and Flyer, the oil article is quite insightful and technical! I have run Mobil 1 in all my Corvettes over the years and I am sure they produce a first class motorcycle oil.

I guess I'll follow Cache's lead and run one more stint with regular petroleum based oil and a filter and then switch to Mobil 1's synthetic motorcycle oil on my next change.

The August Sport Rider covers some oil issues, and a pretty good look and advice on riding gear for different climates.

Worthwhile and may help shed some light on the whole Synthetic VS Organic oil debate...

Here's my .02, probably not worth much. I think you need at least 10K to 12k miles to break in the busa. Once you start using synthetic, that will pretty much keep the wear down to the point that it will never get full broken in or will certainly take much longer to do so. My bike at 10k now runs much stronger than it did earlier. I'm going to start with synthetic at next oil change about 12k.

I'll check the mag as well as take my time in switching over to synthetic oil. For the amount of riding I do, 10,000 to 12,000 miles will take me well into 2004 if not 2005! However, if this is what it takes, so be it. I'll just wait.

After all, I want what's best for my Busa, don't we all?

Thanks again.

Here's my .02, probably not worth much.  I think you need at least 10K to 12k miles to break in the busa.  Once you start using synthetic, that will pretty much keep the wear down to the point that it will never get full broken in or will certainly take much longer to do so.  My bike at 10k now runs much stronger than it did earlier.  I'm going to start with synthetic at next oil change about 12k.
Ben I think you are right I have 30000 miles on mine and she runs a hell of a lot stronger now then she did when she was new.

Hello all,
 Ive had a 2000 Busa for about 2 weeks now that just hit the maintenance mark at 4000 miles...  I read my manual and after reading this synthetic/mineral oil thing I am now confused...  
 I changed the oil on my bike a few days ago.  I went to the Suzuki Dealer (asked no questions) and went ahead and bought a *Suzuki Oil Filter* and 4 quarts of *Suzuki Performance Motor Oil* only used 3.5quarts. (10w-40 API-SJ).  It might be just me and im getting more use to the power and the bike, but it seems like the bike has less power since ive changed the oil? I also cleaned the air filter with an air compressor nozzle just like the manual said.

I did exactly what Suzuki/Busa Manual reccomends right? That is the oil that it says to use in the manual...
Neway, any ideas on the loss of power or do you think that it is just me getting use to the power of the BUSA? BTW, ive already put like 500 miles on her!! Ive had alot of bikes, but this one has been my dream bike for a few years and I dont wanna mess her up.  Thanks in advance! Cya

Weening?? Don't think so, I went straight to Motul synthetic at the 500 mile mark, regular oil changes and 22k later the bike is running great. From all I've read and picked up regular changes will prolong engine life the best, it's not necessarily the brand or type (make sure it's safe for wet clutches). Reason I like the motul is that you can get it in gallon containers with a spout built in. No more mess.

Time 4 my 2 bits here as well.  I've just moved from the ST1100 to the Busa.  I had 112,000 miles on the ST when I sold it.  I ran Mobile One in it since about 80k miles.  I used the Kragen off the shelf auto 0w-40 (when I could find it) or the 15w-50 stuff.  Either way it works great.  In Pacifica, mornings are always 15 or more degrees colder than the rest of the Bay in the summer, this makes a (day total) temp swing of up to 50 degrees at times.  Having the 0w-40 stuff was great, you could tell by the way the bike starts that the oil is getting all through the engine, like NOW, and not 5 minute down the road.  It held up in the 80 to 90 degree stop and go in the Sunnyvale/San Jose traffic as well.

Here is the spec sheet from Mobile One about the auto oil:
https://dallnd6.dal.mobil.com/GIS....ocument
If the link does not work, goto http://www.mobil1.com/index.jsp
and fish around, it also has info on the Motorcycle oil there.  By there index, the only carriers of the bike oil are AutoZone stores...  

The pic is from the site....  The MX4T 10w-40  <---  Is this the stuff you're talking about?

Back