Weak (144hp) busa with full system and PCIIIr

artnshel

Registered
Heres the deal:

I bought a used 02 SE with 1500mi from a dealer two weeks ago. It came with a Micron full system and a PCIIIr, I got it for my 00' R1 and $2k.  After picking it up I found dyno sheets that that indicated a corrected 144 max hp with the mods. The runs were done at 5400 ft. There was also a stock run that showed about 5-8 hp less power. I also have an uncorrected run that shows 130 max hp with the mods.

The dyno sheets said Dynojet Research in MT. Is that normal for any of their dynos or was it really done there?  I bought it in Colorado.

I don't know what map is in use. Can I find out or save the current map in case it's custom and I try a different one?

I took a great 600 mile ride last sunday and got 49 mpg and my average speed must have been over 80. It's a great bike but I need lower pegs for sure. I wish Ron Ayers shipped faster.

I live at 9000ft and with my wife and I (310lbs combined) on the bike it doesn't feel especially fast but runs cleanly.

I don't think the bike has a tre mod, the air box looked stock and it pops a bit on decel so I need to do the pair mod.

So what should I do, I'm trying to find the previous owner to see if he can explain the low power. Should I try the Micron map from www.powercommander.com?  Should I find a dyno?

Do I need a special map for high altitude?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Art

Lots of questions, a few answers..... If you have the software and a laptop (PC will also work with the 9-volt adapter) you can view the map currently stored on your Powercommander. Naturally a custom map works better, but it should directly reflect the riding conditions your bike will be experiencing.... In your case this is the higher altitude. Not sure if there's a dyno shop where you live. You need to check the Powercommander web site to find the closest one. Also you didn't mention if the H.P. reading was peak or if it was measured at the rear wheel? Some of the other guys/gals on the site might be able to shed more light on this subject. I think some of the higher readings I've seen were measured as BHP not just HP. Still, the numbers do seem alittle low.........
One last thing if you decide to have a custom map made try and get all your MODs done prior to having the map made!

Man find another Busa and run it...If you get spanked, you've got problems...If not whoever did the dyno may not have known what they were doing...Had a micron full system on a zx9r pulled if off and threw it away, wouldn't let the exhaust flow...

Man find another Busa and run it...If you get spanked, you've got problems...If not whoever did the dyno may not have known what they were doing...Had a micron full system on a zx9r pulled if off and threw it away, wouldn't let the exhaust flow...

Yeah What STUNNAH SAID, SAID , SAID....

Hey Welcome aboard, I have an 02 SE as well. MikeyUSF has same ride in stock form that pulled 164HP out of the box.

One thing to consider is that at 5K feet you are going to be loosing about 15% of your power based on altitude. (I think the figure is 3% for every 1000 feet) So at Nine thousand feet like up in Boulder or Lefthand Canyon you are going to be loosing even more. Now The Dyno can be set to compensate for that, but chances are guy just didn't know what he was doing maybe?:super:

I would definatly check and see about a high altitude map. But I would also try removing the PCIIIr, reseting your ECU, and running the bike again. If you can reset the ECU without the PCIIIr it might help it adjust to the thin air. Worth a shot.

Here's where I am at, at Sea level lets say your ride makes 160HP. Subtract 15% for lack of oxygen at 5000'. Now we are at 136 HP. Then add the Micron system, + a few horses, then add a few for the PCIIIr. Sounds to me like your SE might be right in the ballpark at 144HP. Is the Throttle response good? Does it pull evenly through the RPMS. Idle well? Blah Blah.... If it seems like it is running OK but it's the Dyno sheets spooking you then I would Burn the Dyno Sheets and start saving for a Turbo!!!! All your Power problems solved right there...

Heh, I was born and raised in Boulder, High School in Niwot, then College at CSU. Man I miss home... Enjoy them roads man...

And Again, Welcome!

I would have to agree with the above. Bring that thing out of the clouds and down to sea level then put it on a dyno and see what happens. It does sound like a case of altitude sickness to me. The only other thing I can think of is what happened to me. I have a 2000 Busa and before I could take delivery of it they had to do the cam chain tensioner recall on it. I later found out that they had put the cam chain back on wrong. It was a tooth off. When I dynoed my bike it was only making 115hp and the best they could get was about 121hp. Once it was fixed it jumped up to 158hp. I don't think this is the case with your's because of the higher numbers. Even with the mods if the timing is that far out I don't think you would be able to see those numbers. But just so you have something to go by here is a copy of my dyno runs before and after they got it right.
dynorun.jpg

Hi Art,

I afraid I'm not going to be much help on the HP issue... however I agree though that it could be altitude related or the Dyno guy didn't know what he was doing...

Sorry to get off topic, I'm still learning about the Busa as well.... what part did you order for lower foot pegs? I've been wanting to do this as well.

Also, do you know of any Busa Groups in the Denver area? I live in Castle Rock and I just picked up an 03 Busa and looking for a group to ride with and learn a bit more about this awesome machine!

Thanks for all the replies. I'd like my hp to be in the 160's. With power, more seems to be better. I think you are right, running another Busa would be the best thing to do to see if the dyno was wrong. Now I just have to find one in this town of 2,000. I just moved from Boulder, now I live in Telluride at 9,000ft. There is a dyno a few hours away at 5,000 ft but I don't know of one higher. I'll do a search. It is my suspicion that getting dyno work done at high altitude can only help things.

The 144 number is 'corrected' which as I understand it is supposed to adjust for altitude, temp, etc. The uncorrected number was 130hp. I assume they are all rear wheel numbers.

Is 49mpg normal or does it indicate a lean set-up. At altitude you would think the bike to be too rich, not lean. The bike pulls cleanly, the throttle response is reasonable and the idle a bit lumpy.

John,
Here are the footpeg part#'s courtesy of Busaben
I ordered mine from Ron Ayers they are slow but cheap.
Part numbers are:

43520-02F11 Right footpeg
43510-02F11 Left footpeg
09180-08149 - Spacers needed to fit better - order two
08332-11063 - C-Clip - you can use originals

Here are two Colorado sportbike sites, I don't know of any local busa groups.
http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/
http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/

Back