We lost yet another one.....

Rev. 6:5

Registered
A buddy at work, who had been riding a Yamaha V-Star for several years and I'd been trying to recruit to the Busa clan, traded in for a Harley.

But get this raping he took......

2005 HD Heritage Softail with 25,000 miles..........guess the price.

$14,500!

Why this isn't illegal, I'll never know. I sure hate to see fans of Japanese engineering go over to the Harley Davidson side. Don't get me wrong, I like Harleys. They've come a long way with their dependability and are really nice bikes, but they're horribly overpriced for what they are.

When he told me what he paid for it, my jaw hit the roadway. He tried to convince me it was a very reasonable price. I still didn't buy it considering I paid $13,800 for a new VTX1800 back in 05 and it was much higher quality than the Heritage Softail.

14,500??? not bad considering he not only bought a bike but a lifestyle as well.

A buddy at work, who had been riding a Yamaha V-Star for several years and I'd been trying to recruit to the Busa clan, traded in for a Harley.

But get this raping he took......

2005 HD Heritage Softail with 25,000 miles..........guess the price.

$14,500!

Why this isn't illegal, I'll never know. I sure hate to see fans of Japanese engineering go over to the Harley Davidson side. Don't get me wrong, I like Harleys. They've come a long way with their dependability and are really nice bikes, but they're horribly overpriced for what they are.

Just adding what I've always been taught. Harley's are overpriced for just underpowered machines. But all know that you "buy" into the nastalgia, heritage, history and all that good stuff. That's why I bought a Harley. I"m getting a Busa just b/c it's a fast machine. Cheaper than trying to make the Harley fast. But nothing wrong with keeping both.

Rock, does it bother you that your Electra Glide cost more than a Goldwing, but with half the options? I have no doubt that your Harley is comfortable, but is what you got worth what you paid? I know the resale value holds very well, and I am indeed jealous of that, but are you getting the bells and whistles you could get elsewhere?

I have 2 guys at work that paid $35k for the Screamin' Eagle Electra Glides. I personally think they should be subjected to serious psychological examinations.

lifestyle?? :laugh: Yeah....I've seen that lifestyle time and time again.....

I constantly tease my co-workers who ride HD's about them considering taking the bike to the car wash and back home and considering it "taking the bike out for a ride". Seems ace hit it on the head, there's more posers buying HD products than real riders. Out of 13 HD owners at work only ONE guy actually fits the mold and that poor guy spends more time repairing his bike than actually riding it - I feel bad for him but it's his choice. 2 years ago his exhaust broke on the front cylinder spewing flames onto his downtubes and front tire, last year the engine went, and this year his tranny has already taken a dump...and it's April in IL! He didn't even get it out of the garage when he found out. :laugh: Been trying to convince him a change is in order but he's 56 yrs old and has been riding HD since he was 27....seems too late.

2005 HD springer 14,500? Aint no way I would pay that much for it.. I do a lot of buying and selling of used bikes. My TOP dollar paid for the bike would be 11K. And it would have to have LOW miles, and look like it just rolled out the factory..

Rock, does it bother you that your Electra Glide cost more than a Goldwing, but with half the options? I have no doubt that your Harley is comfortable, but is what you got worth what you paid? I know the resale value holds very well, and I am indeed jealous of that, but are you getting the bells and whistles you could get elsewhere?

I have 2 guys at work that paid $35k for the Screamin' Eagle Electra Glides. I personally think they should be subjected to serious psychological examinations.

Well...The Goldwing actually was the first big bike I love. Lots of toys and lots of power. I test rode it and then I rode the Ultra. Mind you I owned a sportster at the time. :laugh: I just didn't get the same Euphoria sitting on the goldwing. We all ride for the Euphoria right? Not for the great investement that bikes are.

I don't know what the Wing has more of that my bike does not. Perhaps a reverse gear or something. But that bike can't hold a candle to the Ultra styling. Little kids wave at the Harleys. The Goldwings...eh...not so much. :whistle:

As far as price. The base cost on my bike at the time was a high $19k number. And I think Goldwings were a low $19k number. So it's at the margins. It's really just what you like. I hope to have a speedy bike and a sex symbol bike. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

On my H-D I wave at everyone, except for moped folks. They can really cut you off in traffic. I assume most of them don't have licenses for reasons I don't want to share here. But...they can really raise the hair on your neck.

Last edited:
I wouldn't count a person going to a H-D as a lost. I think their needs just changed. That's like comparing a Corvette to a Cadillac. Something chainged there. Now if you lost a guy on a Busa to a ZX-14 or an R1. Well..now there's a reason to get the chap butt.

Seems ace hit it on the head, there's more posers buying HD products than real riders.
I dunno, a 2005 bike with 25,000 miles does not sound like it was owned by somebody who did not ride. :rofl:

I see lots of Harleys with serious miles. Most Jap bikes (except the tourers) are crashed before they get 25K miles on them.

But $14.5K is a lot for a '05 Heritage Softail with that much miles.

Back