Ways to Change A/F ratio

Fredyp33

Registered
Gonna be switching out the exhaust soon to a Coffman’s slip-on. Decided on it months ago and already purchased and have it at the house, so don’t need the “xyz exhaust is better” story.

Read Getn Off’s post a few weeks back that he was running lean after putting them on. Is a Power Commander the only way to update the air/fuel ratio? I’ve always had standard slip-on exhausts and have never had a need to change a/f.

Also I’ve never been a fan of maxing the bike out on a dyno. Can a/f be checked and updated without blasting through all the gears to redline? I’m new to the a/f ratio update thing and truly don’t know enough.

Thanks.

A Bazzaz system also regulates the AFR. Mine was fine tuned on a dyno....I suppose it can be installed without a dyno run.

Why are you against getting a dyno tune? That is hands down the best way to make sure the bike is at optimal AFR throughout the range.

Just feel it’s hard on the bike. I know once or twice isn’t gonna hurt it, but I always ride my bikes easy and don’t want to push it to the limits unnecessarily.

I get that, but I'll say two things: First, running it on a dyno isn't doing anything it wasn't designed to do. Just because you prefer to ride it gently doesn't mean it wasn't designed to be maxed out. It was, and if you're not the only person who's ever ridden it, it probably has been.
Second, the best way to achieve what you want is to put it on a dyno, so it wouldn't be running it hard unnecessarily, it would be for a specific purpose.
Just my $.02....

I get that, but I'll say two things: First, running it on a dyno isn't doing anything it wasn't designed to do. Just because you prefer to ride it gently doesn't mean it wasn't designed to be maxed out. It was, and if you're not the only person who's ever ridden it, it probably has been.
Second, the best way to achieve what you want is to put it on a dyno, so it wouldn't be running it hard unnecessarily, it would be for a specific purpose.
Just my $.02....
Hi. Yes I do not like to push my Busa to hard. That is I will set the revs to only 13500 RPM.

Just my $.02....

Is a power commander required too?

Check Kiwi's post on Teka tune it may be usefull

Check Kiwi's post on Teka tune it may be usefull

One thing about the Teka tune device, it's useful but you really need to read the mixture via road testing and then checking spark plug colour after everytime you make an adjustment.
That's very time consuming and tedious.
A dyno tune is the most efficient and accurate way of tuning via flashing the ECU fuel map ( a lot of work), or creating a fuel map for the PC5. (also a lot of work)
I've used the Teka, but it's a bit of a guessing game without knowing the actual A/F ratio using a O2 sensor feeding data to an A/F readout.

I would go with a good tuner and a PC custom map on a Dynojet dyno . . . my .02c FWIW

One thing about the Teka tune device, it's useful but you really need to read the mixture via road testing and then checking spark plug colour after everytime you make an adjustment.
That's very time consuming and tedious.
A dyno tune is the most efficient and accurate way of tuning via flashing the ECU fuel map ( a lot of work), or creating a fuel map for the PC5. (also a lot of work)
I've used the Teka, but it's a bit of a guessing game without knowing the actual A/F ratio using a O2 sensor feeding data to an A/F readout.View attachment 1598607
I would go with a good tuner and a PC custom map on a Dynojet dyno . . . my .02c FWIW
i would also..... PH for president

Back