Wavy Brake rotors

Mikey D

Registered
What is your opinion or experience with rotors that are laser cut and or have their perimeter cut? (A shape other than round.) I have seen this one and several that have more aggressive knife, saw tooth, lightning, flame job, etc... designs aound the outside.

They look cool but I am worried about braking performance and or catching something in the slots and having it jam up against the caliper.

Opinions please...

HAYABUSA_WAVE_Rotor.jpg

A wave rotor is perfectly safe. Just about any shape CUT OUT of a rotor is probably okay. There are some that look like spirals that have no outside circumfrence (sp?). Those are for show only, and the seller should inform you of those.

Do note that Cycle World put a set on their project RC51, and the 'wave' cutouts could be felt slightly in the lever. They were not alarmed, but it was noticeable.

I agree. They are probably safe, but you just need to keep in mind that braking force/smoothness is directly related to the friction between the pads and rotors. Anything that affects that friction affects the braking. If the pads ride on the wavy/cutout area, then your braking ability will be deminished accordingly.

That's my .02 worth :D

One other point...

If you increase the pressure on the lever to account for the loss in surface area, you're making the active surface work that much harder. This could lead to overheating and brake fade, or worse, a glazed pad or brake fire.

That's all I got.

Hey Mickey, don't you teach auto shop too? I preachin' to the choir here. Sorry about that.

Jim

<!--EDIT|stkr00
Reason for Edit: "Forgot who I was talking to..."|1069731599 -->

One other point...

If you increase the pressure on the lever to account for the loss in surface area, you're making the active surface work that much harder.  This could lead to overheating and brake fade, or worse, a glazed pad or brake fire.

That's all I got.

Hey Mickey, don't you teach auto shop too?  I preachin' to the choir here.  Sorry about that.

Jim
Good points!

I had been thinking along the same glazed lines, but am looking or someone that has used them to give me 1st hand info. The pulsations felt by the wavey outline is one I had not thought of.

I know that the rotors on my old 750 Kat sounded like cicada when I braked.

BTW - Preach away, I'm always learning!

Yo MIke just be carefull, someone posted here a few dayz ago that he just got hit over the head by a guy advertising these on Scam BAY.

Yo MIke just be carefull, someone posted here a few dayz ago that he just got hit over the head by a guy advertising these on Scam BAY.
Thanks Ryth!

How do you say it?

Good LQQin out!

Saw the post.  This one was found on the site flybusa posted.

http://therotorwoman.5u.com/

Don't know if this one is legit.  Certainly don't need another rear rotor.  (I've got a spare on my exploded rear rim!) But it looked pretty cool!  Maybe if the waves were a little more like an agressive saw tooth pattern...

<!--EDIT|Mikey D
Reason for Edit: "cause I got it wrong the first time!"|1069747829 -->

Wave rotors are not only safe (if properly designed) but can actually increase braking power and performance. Braking and Galfer have been making them for years and both claim that wave rotors run substantially cooler (up to like 200 degrees cooler) than standard rotors and that is the advantage. If they run cooler, they stay consistant and do not fade at all.

I have not personally tried them (Galfer or Braking that is) but I have heard that they are far superior to stock rotors. How they compare to other "racing" rotors I am not sure and whether or not these cosmetic rotors work as well, I do not know. I would say that seeing as a rear brake is almost worthless anyway I would not be concerned.

In general, I think wave rotors look cool and are super trick. In fact, I am planning on getting a set of Braking wave rotors in the spring for my Busa.

Those wavy hayabusa rotors works good on the back,I have them installed on my bike,i have heard the front rotors do not work good, i have some friends that have them installed on the front and they have complained with brake performance.

http://therotorwoman.5u.com/

Don't know if this one is legit.  
I regularly buy and sell on ebay and have had only one problem with one vendor. I got a partial refund from ebay in the end. So my ebay experiences have been very positive. As for the Rotorwoman she seems to be a nice person, good communication and fast shipping. She's been around for a while and I've ordered from her in the past without any problems.

Everything I have read about the wave rotors has been positive. The cut out portions of the wave rotor helps to disipatate (i think i spelled that wrong) heat thus creating a lower operating temp for the braking system. I thought about getting a set for the rear as well as the front. However, have you ever seen them after they have been on for a while? They look great new, but as they wear the marking from the pads cuts across the cutout leaving the lower half the writing/cutout looking new and the other half worn from use..

Esthetically, I not that pleased with the worn look, but hey all the reports have been positive on performance.

My $.02

Those wavy hayabusa rotors works good on the back,I have them installed on my bike,i have heard the front rotors do not work good, i have some friends that have them installed on the front and they have complained with brake performance.
Thanks Arey!

Could you post a pict?

Interested in the worn look Dexxy mentioned.

Thanks Eak & Dezzy. I feel more comfy now. I don't think I'd want to chance it on the fronts (boy do I love my front brakes!). but the back one may be just the ticket!

Thanks Arey!

Could you post a pict?

I am waiting to receive my digital camera I ordered last week should receive this week (i hope so) will post pics as soon as i receive it.

Thanks Arey!

Could you post a pict?

I am waiting to receive my digital camera I ordered last week should receive this week (i hope so) will post pics as soon as i receive it.
TQ!

So are you saying you have them on the front of your bike and they don't work well? Here's a few questions
1. What pads are you using?
2. What brake lines are you using?
3. Are you using wavy roters?

My .02

Brakes pads are like tires in that they need heat to work. Race pads need more heat to work and if you're running race pads with stock lines and wavy rotors, the bike's probably not going to stop all that well..

I've heard the Galfer green pads work well but are hard on the stock rotors. I'm runnin the sentured / centured? pads from
EBC with kevlar lines and stock rotors. With minimal effort and at 285 lbs, the bike will stop.

Help me out if I screwed it up but I think it's EBC centured pads.

I know they make a huge difference on mine.

Good Luck

-Banshee

So are you saying you have them on the front of your bike and they don't work well?  Here's a few questions
1. What pads are you using?
2. What brake lines are you using?
3. Are you using wavy roters?

My .02

Brakes pads are like tires in that they need heat to work. Race pads need more heat to work and if you're running race pads with stock lines and wavy rotors, the bike's probably not going to stop all that well..

I've heard the Galfer green pads work well but are hard on the stock rotors.  I'm runnin the sentured / centured? pads from
EBC with kevlar lines and stock rotors. With minimal effort and at 285 lbs, the bike will stop.

Help me out if I screwed it up but I think it's EBC centured pads.

I know they make a huge difference on mine.

Good Luck

-Banshee
I'm not familiar with the brake pads you mention but I think you are looking for the word sintered. This process is where a powder is pressed into a mold and then heated (without melting) to bond it together. Silicone carbide honing stones are made using this process. Also, it seems, brake pads.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=sintered

Dats da one! They work for me but in all honesty, I don't push that hard on a continual basis. If I decide to ride hard enough to need alot of brake, it isn't going to be for very long and I'm backin down!! Maybe someone else can offer up suggestions.

-Banshee

I put one on my Busa and, to be honest, it doesn't brake so much!!! It's simply beautiful that's all.
If you're looking for performance is not a good choose!!!
I don't care for rear brake because I do not use the rear that much.

brakedisk3.jpg

Back