Watsen Design LED blinkers.

infidel

Registered
I really needed to clean up the rear of my bike, and these things are just the ticket!!! The rear blinkers were mounted on a SW Motech rack mount to make them more visible with the Givi hard cases. It is effective, but not too nice to look at, especially with the racks off.
fc8e101e.jpg

These blinkers are made in Canada, and seem to be VERY high quality! They are cast aluminum (I think) and everything from the paint to the wire connectors are well done.
4377e3ff.jpg

The wiring includes a resistor loop to keep the blinker working at the correct rate. It works as promised.
d1e03f8d.jpg

As the wiring does not run through the stud, you'll have to drill two holes. One was 5/32 for the stud, and the other was 1/4 for the wires. I believe they are 7/16 on center.
26e719c7.jpg

They are very small! They are also considerably brighter than stock. I also like how the LED goes from ON to OFF without the "fade" of an incandescent bulb. I highly recommend these!!!
c2783d36.jpg

PS- They did cost $127 :peoples:

Wow they look nice, but they dont list anything for Suzuki, how rude!

But also look at there comment at the bottom of the page,, Please allow six weeks for delivery! Ouch!

Universal LED Signals

I've heard of folks having issues with the legality of an integrated tail-light. I believe the issue was the distance between the blinkers. That's why I went with the tiny blinkers. I couldn't tell you what the actual law states, but they are VERY visible! I'm sure that these are easier to see than the stockers.

Maybe, but I have yet to see a single LED that is as bright and visible as a standard bulb in the daylight. The problem with LEDs are that they are highly directional. If you are looking at them straight on, they are very bright...even brighter than a standard bulb. However, if you view them from off center, they loose a tremendous amount of their brightness. Reflectors don't help much. Multiple LEDs that are aimed and slightly different angles do a better job. The second issue with LEDs (unless its a laser LED) is that the light doesn't travel very far before it it diffuses. Take a regular single bulb flashlight and one of the new super bright LED flashlights. If you look at them straight on, the LED appears much brighter. However, take them both in a dark room and point them at a wall or at the floor away from you and you'll quickly realize that the LED flashlight is only useful at short distances. The single bulb flashlight will out perform the LED flashlight.

mvansomeren said:
Maybe, but I have yet to see a single LED that is as bright and visible as a standard bulb in the daylight. The problem with LEDs are that they are highly directional. If you are looking at them straight on, they are very bright...even brighter than a standard bulb. However, if you view them from off center, they loose a tremendous amount of their brightness. Reflectors don't help much. Multiple LEDs that are aimed and slightly different angles do a better job. The second issue with LEDs (unless its a laser LED) is that the light doesn't travel very far before it it diffuses. Take a regular single bulb flashlight and one of the new super bright LED flashlights. If you look at them straight on, the LED appears much brighter. However, take them both in a dark room and point them at a wall or at the floor away from you and you'll quickly realize that the LED flashlight is only useful at short distances. The single bulb flashlight will out perform the LED flashlight.

A single bulb flashlight will not out perform an led. Most incandescent bulbs produce. UP TO 17 lumen ( one lumen is equivalent to a birthday candle at one food away.) Most led lights put out 24 to 64 lumen. That's up to 3 times brighter 3 times away.

Well how about a couple crappy cell-phone pics to clear this all up??? I put a blanket over the head and tail light, so this light is all just from the LED blinker.

e10a1fd3.jpg

And another backwards from the bike to see how much light is being put out.

91280a32.jpg

A single bulb flashlight will not out perform an led. Most incandescent bulbs produce. UP TO 17 lumen ( one lumen is equivalent to a birthday candle at one food away.) Most led lights put out 24 to 64 lumen. That's up to 3 times brighter 3 times away.

That's at 1 foot. Shine that flashlight at a wall 15 feet away and see which one throws the brightest spot on the wall. It won't be the LED flashlight.

Don't get me wrong, I like LED's and they are getting better all the time. And, on paper, they are more efficient than Incandescent bulbs. However, in real world situations, such as when used in turn signals and brake lights...especially in bright sunlight, unless you are directly behind an LED at 10 feet away, or you have an array of LEDs, each pointing at a slightly different angle, the omnidirectional characteristics of an Incandescent bulb makes it more effective in this situation. And light from an LED, even with a reflector just doesn't seem to travel as far as light from an Incandescent bulb with a reflector in my experience.

mvansomeren said:
That's at 1 foot. Shine that flashlight at a wall 15 feet away and see which one throws the brightest spot on the wall. It won't be the LED flashlight.

The lumen measurements are exponential. 30 lumen is 30 candles @ 30 feet. So if a standard bulb is 17 lumen. That's 17 candles at 17 feet. An led is up to 60+ lumen. That's the equivalent to 60 candles at 60 feet...

I'll just say this and then let it drop since we are basically hijacking the OP's thread.

LEDs, being inherently directional, should not be measured in lumens. Lumens are a spherical measurement used on light sources that are omnidirectional. Stating the output of an LED in lumens can be misleading because it implies that the brightness is the same in all directions which is clearly not the case with LEDs. LEDs should be measured in footcandles. Footcandles are the measurement of light that arrives where you directed it.

My point again being that sure, an LED is bright and visible if you are directly looking into its beam. But if you move to the side, not so much. Incandescent bulbs are omnidirectional and have the same brightness from all visible angles. This is why I am hesitant to trust a turn signal using a single LED as a light source.

If those little turn signals had an array of LEDs at slightly different angles so that they would be visible at all angles in daylight, I'd be all over it (provided they are legal in California). I do think they look cool though.

My apologies to the OP for sidestepping the thread. Can you post some video of the turn signals working during both the evening and daytime?

I'm afraid that my meager internet skills do not extend to being able to post a video :(

I looked at several already on YouTube before I decided to purchase these blinkers. I do have a friend with a Go-Pro & better computer skills. Maybe I can convince him to help me make a video that would better show how these things look in different settings.

I wish I knew what type of LED is used. It doesn't appear to be the typical shape.

I'm not too worried about the thread being "jacked". It's good to hear all the opinions out there! I am happy to see that everyone is keeping it civil :)

I really like the look of those. I would love a set just to give me a bit more visibility over my integrated LED tail. Very spendy though for a couple little lights!

Back