Water Wetter

Rongotti

Registered
So I did a search and couldn't find out how much to put in. I read that just using water wetter keeps it the coolest so living in Florida I am willing to do this and leave it year round. We get about 3 or 4 subfreezing nights but it will be fine in my garage I think.

So once I drain the antifreeze just add the bottle and cap it off with water?

It has mixing instructions if you bought the concentrate. I bought the premixed. I think there's an old thread out there somewhere when Blanca did his - in his normal, extremely detailed style :beerchug:

So drain the coolant then stick a garden hose in it and let her run?

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

So drain the coolant then stick a garden hose in it and let her run?

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

That's one way to do it, but using hose/tap water can lead to corrosion....I prefer to disconnect my lower block hose, drain the system, start the bike and pour distilled water into the radiator until everything comes out clear. Run the bike dry (stop pouring water into the radiator and wait for the water to stop coming out below) then reconnect the hose and fill the system. One thing to remember is that just filling the radiator will NOT fill your cooling system. There will be air bubbles in the system. Rock the bike back and forth. If you're physically capable, lean the bike as far as you can to the left side while it's at idle. Keep adding coolant until the system is full and your bike temp is normal. It will take some time, but it's well worth it. BTW; I prefer blue ice over water wetter....but that's just me.

That's one way to do it, but using hose/tap water can lead to corrosion....I prefer to disconnect my lower block hose, drain the system, start the bike and pour distilled water into the radiator until everything comes out clear. Run the bike dry (stop pouring water into the radiator and wait for the water to stop coming out below) then reconnect the hose and fill the system. One thing to remember is that just filling the radiator will NOT fill your cooling system. There will be air bubbles in the system. Rock the bike back and forth. If you're physically capable, lean the bike as far as you can to the left side while it's at idle. Keep adding coolant until the system is full and your bike temp is normal. It will take some time, but it's well worth it. BTW; I prefer blue ice over water wetter....but that's just me.

How much distilled water should I buy?
and what am I doing with this as it is flushed out?

How much distilled water should I buy?
and what am I doing with this as it is flushed out?

I buy four gallons when I do it. I use two gallons to flush, and use the rest for mixing. If I have any left over I use it for my humidor. You certainly can use a garden hose to flush, but i highly recommend performing a final flush with at least one gallon of distilled water before filling the system. As for what to do with the old coolant....you're in florida...feed it to a gator, or a gator fan! :rofl:
J/K. You can buy a large radiator drain container at any autozone/pepboys fairly inexpensive, or just use a bucket from the house. I don't recommend pouring the old stuff into a storm drain, as that will just lead to the ocean. I pour it in the toilet, as this leads to a treatment plant.....I don't know of any company that collects old coolant; perhaps someone else does? That would be the best place to take it.

BTW...make sure your bike is completely cool before you disconnect any of the hoses, or remove the cap. When you are draining the system you will need to allow the bike to warm up enough to open the thermostat. Otherwise you will leave coolant trapped in the block. Keep a close eye on your temp gauge. The temp sensor doesn't indicate correctly without coolant/water flowing over it.

It just healed my overheating problem, so I recommend it. I did use about 2 gallons of distilled just to flush though, then another gallon of mix with water wetter to flush, then the final fill up.

Back