Water Bottle Freezes - Weird Question as to Why

i'm sure there is a physics professor around who can explain this with math that requires numbers, letters, and a bunch of symbols that i may or may not understand..........but it's a lot faster to just Google it :thumbsup: read Fred's answer, he seems to make a lot of sense

Why-Do-Water-Bottles-Flash-Freeze

i'm sure there is a physics professor around who can explain this with math that requires numbers, letters, and a bunch of symbols that i may or may not understand..........but it's a lot faster to just Google it :thumbsup: read Fred's answer, he seems to make a lot of sense

Why-Do-Water-Bottles-Flash-Freeze

I was going to say the same thing that Fred said! :whistle:

All I see is same video showing demo on my phone?

Fred's answer: "The water in the bottle, taken all as a unit/system, has not released all of its latent heat of fusion (see Enthalpy of fusion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) and needs to release just a tiny amount so that all of it becomes a solid. As you can see in the video the water in the bottle remains as a mixture of water in liquid and solid/crystal form. That's because most of the latent heat of fusion had been lost, but not all. The vibration on the bottle caused most water molecules (which were ready to enter into the solid phase), to release the tiny amount of heat that wold allow them to join other water molecules into crystals. Therefore, most of the water turned to ice and the small amount of water remaining took the heat released from the crystal forming molecules and stayed liquid, still at 0 Celsius. If the bottle had been left alone long enough it would have solidified eventually when all of the liquid water had released its latent heat of fusion. The fact that the water is filtered helps delay the onset of crystallization by removing potential nucleation centers."

Fred's answer: "The water in the bottle, taken all as a unit/system, has not released all of its latent heat of fusion (see Enthalpy of fusion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) and needs to release just a tiny amount so that all of it becomes a solid. As you can see in the video the water in the bottle remains as a mixture of water in liquid and solid/crystal form. That's because most of the latent heat of fusion had been lost, but not all. The vibration on the bottle caused most water molecules (which were ready to enter into the solid phase), to release the tiny amount of heat that wold allow them to join other water molecules into crystals. Therefore, most of the water turned to ice and the small amount of water remaining took the heat released from the crystal forming molecules and stayed liquid, still at 0 Celsius. If the bottle had been left alone long enough it would have solidified eventually when all of the liquid water had released its latent heat of fusion. The fact that the water is filtered helps delay the onset of crystallization by removing potential nucleation centers."

ok, way to much time on your hands, PUFF,PUFF,PASS...:laugh:

its the same as why you can have supercooled beer that is in stasis and soon as you depresurize it by opening the beer can...volia....frozen slushy beer

Nuke some water in a pyrex cup for 2.5min then toss a fork in it and stand back, seriously, stand back, it'll be explode,,and probly burn you. :laugh:

Smellphone via Forum Runner

Fastfrog007 said:
Nuke some water in a pyrex cup for 2.5min then toss a fork in it and stand back, seriously, stand back, it'll be explode,,and probly burn you. :laugh:

Smellphone via Forum Runner

I'm almost scared to ask, what made you try this the first time?

its the same as the flash freeze corona that mythbusters did, you can have it just below freezing temp without the phase change because it is still and acting as a single body, disturbing it causes a few crystals to form and that causes the phase change in the rest of it

Back