Watching Assen GP: Why do they do this?

captainraymond

Registered
When approaching some turns they all stick their foot out. Is it some gesture or something? I cant see it helping with anything, besides ripping a foot off.

Several of the riders put their foot out during hard braking in case things go wrong, they also use it as a counter balance. I've noticed more to the left than right???

Several of the riders put their foot out during hard braking in case things go wrong, they also use it as a counter balance. I've noticed more to the left than right???

Yeah, right handers they just go in normal, but the left handers is when they would do it. I started noticing it this year only. I was taught never to put your foot down.

I often wondered this too,almost like dirtbike racing? guess they are using the rear brake more,thats why only left turns? when they do this you can see the turn is much tighter though?

I also just started to notice that this year. Maybe a good place to give the old leg a stretch? :laugh:

I only noticed this year as well. The comentators said it was for balance or some dookie like that. Honestly, I think they're trying to block each other. During the Rossi/Lorenzo battle from a couple of weeks ago, at one point, Lorenzo tried to sneak inside, and Rossi through his leg out. Lorenzo ended up canceling that pass.

Rossi did it more in the right turns. He also was still doing it after he had a very comfortable lead, so I don't know if it is for blocking. I think he may be stretching to prevent lactic acid build up. I know i sometimes get a cramp and I stand up on the pegs. Never thought about just kicking out my leg.

Last edited:
I think Rossi was the first guy to start this but I may be wrong.....I thought maybe he was throwing the anchor out there to help in the slowing process, kind of like a sail? I can't see it working as a blocking technique as these little buggers will gladly take your leg right off to make a pass!

It's just instinct. They come into the turns so fast, that they have the rear of these bikes slidin in silly. And in some cases feels like its going to come around. The foot does act like a counterbalance. But I'd say more like a rudder. It's an instinctual act for reassurance.

I was just watchig the 6/16/09 race in Catalunya last night, the race where Lorenzo and Rossi were swapping the lead every other turn in the final lap with Rossi pulling the win out of thin air, taking everybody by surprise. According to the MotoGP commentators for that race:

1) Rossi started the whole thing of sticking out the leg approaching corners.
2) He claims that he's not sure if there's any real benefit to it but that he simply "feels" as if he's able to break harder when his leg is out.
3) Other riders have adopted the technique after Rossi - if it works for a champion...

2) He claims that he's not sure if there's any real benefit to it but that he simply "feels" as if he's able to break harder when his leg is out.
3) Other riders have adopted the technique after Rossi - if it works for a champion...

Correct :thumbsup: , and if it works for you (and your Rossi) , then everyone will try :laugh:

I was just watchig the 6/16/09 race in Catalunya last night, the race where Lorenzo and Rossi were swapping the lead every other turn in the final lap with Rossi pulling the win out of thin air, taking everybody by surprise. According to the MotoGP commentators for that race:

This is correct, there is an article in this months Roadracing World magazine about it. They say it aids in braking, not sure why or how, but seems to allow them to brake harder.

the experts have been started debating this a few weeks ago .. they came to the conclusion, no reason at all...

Rossi is just laughing at everyone imitating his move... I vote for the practical joke side myself :laugh:

Last edited:
Back