Washing the liner of your helmet...

Postal

Donating Member
Registered
In all the years I've owned bikes and helmets I have never washed the liner of a helmet. I always just squirted Febreze in there. Can you wash the liner of an Icon Mainframe helmet, and if so, what is the best way to wash it?

Thanks.

???

I take my shoei and put it in the bathtub. Wash inside with shampoo and warm water, then towel dry and use a hair dryer to finish it up. Been doing that for years. Not sure about other makes.

I do with my Icon Alliance, should be same process to pop out the liner in a mainframe. Clean in baby shampoo, rinse in clean water, let it dry for a while.

I use a little of oxyclean, small amount of tide and I'll hand wash and let air dry. You'll be surprised at the amount of dirt and oils that's trapped in the liner.

I started taking my helmets in the shower with me back in Tampa, been doing it ever since. Had a product line briefing with an Arai rep in 2006 and he recommended the same thing. Helmet in the shower, soak inside of lid, add whatever shampoo you normally use rinse and repeat. Let helmet dry overnight on a towel, upside down with vent hole working as drain. Works great, no additional chemicals added to your lid. There is no way I'm adding a bunch of mystery chemicals to a device I end up breathing in, wearing close to my skull for hours on end.

FWIW, shower and shampoo works great.

I started taking my helmets in the shower with me back in Tampa, been doing it ever since. Had a product line briefing with an Arai rep in 2006 and he recommended the same thing. Helmet in the shower, soak inside of lid, add whatever shampoo you normally use rinse and repeat. Let helmet dry overnight on a towel, upside down with vent hole working as drain. Works great, no additional chemicals added to your lid. There is no way I'm adding a bunch of mystery chemicals to a device I end up breathing in, wearing close to my skull for hours on end.

FWIW, shower and shampoo works great.

holy crap you are alive! How the hell have ya been Revlis :beerchug:

oh and on the subject, I have an x11 now, the liner comes out for washing :thumbsup:

I take my shoei and put it in the bathtub. Wash inside with shampoo and warm water, then towel dry and use a hair dryer to finish it up. Been doing that for years. Not sure about other makes.

I do the same thing minus the hair dryer. I heard its not a good idea but if you've been doing it for years and nothing's happening to it, I guess it's okay to do it.

Ditto my Scorpion; 'cept I use sink, and let it drip dry over night. It's easy for any helmet w/ a removable liner. Not so much if liner is not snap in/out.

I'm still trying to figure out how to pull mine out to wash em, i changed out the cheek pads to a smaller size, did it once cant figure it out now:banghead:

I've washed the liner in my Arai's many times, and like many, using shampoo and the sprayer in the tub. Make sure you have all the vents open so you flush the bugs out.

I then towel dry, set over a floor vent with a small desk fan blowing thru the shield opening. I usually do it in the evening, and it is ready to wear the next morning.

And Zuk, how the heck have you been? Remember when we railed our Busas in Richmond?

heck yeah, that was fun, we need to do it again... soon! that entire trip down around Williamsburg needs a repeat, it was way fun :thumbsup:

I'm doing good, just working more than playing :banghead: How in the world are you doing?

Back