Was this a Racial Slur?

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
You all hear about Kyle Lason using the N-word on an Esport NASCAR Race? NASCAR driver fired after using racial slur during online quarantine video game event

Lol! My wife and I take a ride every other night just to get away from the house and this was our debate topic. She says he should be fired (he actually already has been) and it was racial. I say it was stupid but actually not a racial slur. The guy he was talking to was his buddy and he is white. I think he was using the word like a lot of us do when messing around with friends, he just forgot he was on a national link. I say it's no harm no foul.

It's actually funny because he was the lead rookie in NASCAR's program to integrate the sport. I am LOL thinking of some NASCAR big wig listening and hearing their poster boy saying that. I know many of you here use this word in the racial context often (lol) , but what do you think?

The way he said it sounded pretty bad. It gets used at work but not like that and doesnt sound the same. I'm sure many would be offended because it's a caucasian person saying it and some just because it was used. I'd imagine the backlash would be high if they didnt let him go.

Politics, race...man we opening all the cans of worms around here. LGBTQ anybody lol. Yeah I watched the video, it was racial. The way he said it sounds like they use it around each other in a condescending way. As ignorant as it may sound to some and is (if Im being real about it) he said it with an "er" not an "a". Where I'm from that could be the difference between a handshake and a slap. I didn't make the rules so don't shoot the messenger. In my older, "wiser" years I see things differently but its hard to break years of conditioning. Won't really get into all that here. That well runs deep...

All love for red, yellow, black and white.

Yes, the N word is a racial slur. Everyone who speaks English knows this. It indicates assignment to a category which has very real, and overwhelmingly negative political, economic, and social consequences. It stands alone in its power to denigrate, dehumanize, and harm. It carries a history of hatred, violence, and killing. It is a word which is permanently attached to some of the ugliest parts of American history: Slavery, Jim Crow, lynch mobs, riots.
Whether or not it's acceptable to use, and in what way is a matter of opinion. I don't think it's acceptable so I don't use it, and I choose not to associate with people who do. It's a matter of respect, I'm sure some people I associate with use the word, but not in my presence.
Should this cat have been fired for saying what he said? Evidently those who pay his salary think so...

Yes, the N word is a racial slur. Everyone who speaks English knows this. It indicates assignment to a category which has very real, and overwhelmingly negative political, economic, and social consequences. It stands alone in its power to denigrate, dehumanize, and harm. It carries a history of hatred, violence, and killing. It is a word which is permanently attached to some of the ugliest parts of American history: Slavery, Jim Crow, lynch mobs, riots.
Whether or not it's acceptable to use, and in what way is a matter of opinion. I don't think it's acceptable so I don't use it, and I choose not to associate with people who do. It's a matter of respect, I'm sure some people I associate with use the word, but not in my presence.
Should this cat have been fired for saying what he said? Evidently those who pay his salary think so...
I agree. Because of the words history I don't think anyone should say it anymore. Let the word die. I keep hearing it in movies and music. I think some races beside AA hear it and think it's cool to go around calling each other it. Using it in music and movies just keeps the word alive.

I agree. Because of the words history I don't think anyone should say it anymore. Let the word die. I keep hearing it in movies and music. I think some races beside AA hear it and think it's cool to go around calling each other it. Using it in music and movies just keeps the word alive.

It definitely doesn't help when the persons of color use it towards each other as it makes other races think it's ok to say it...their thoughts are probably "if they are saying it, it must be an ok word."

There are many derogatory names out there which are pointed towards all races... and should be eliminated from languages as well

Pears soap.jpeg

#IdealToiletSoap ~ #PearsSoap ~ #TheWhiteMansBurden ~ #THEoRg *

Any thoughts on using the N-word in an academic context?

cheers
ken

Thinking of this while watching "The Jeffersons" as this was an off shoot from "Archie Bunker" they made it the polar opposite in racism...

Hard to believe they were even allowed to be aired especially in the age and times they were made.

Any thoughts on using the N-word in an academic context?

cheers
ken
Sooooooo many....
You gain nothing by using the word in an academic context that couldn't be covered by using the phrase "the N word". It has no legitimate use, academic or otherwise.

#ChangeTheNames ~ #DoesItChangeHistory ~ #NwordJim ~ #THEoRg *

Last edited:
So you would rewrite Huck Finn?
No, nothing to be gained from rewriting literature either. I certainly would not use something like Huck Finn as a teaching tool without providing historical context regarding the language.
For example, I was very disappointed to see Laura Ingalls Wilder lose her award, and the Dukes of hazard taken off the air, doing those things accomplished nothing.

Back