was rear ended, need exhaust GEN1

easportz

Registered
I was recently rear ended by a geriatric patient, good news, I am fine. Bad news Akropovic doesn't make Gen1 exhausts anymore. Anyone have any suggestions for an exhaust.... please help with the frustration and general P*SS3D the F OFF mood this has me in.

pretty minor damage can was folded up sub-frame looks good, rear tail light busted, shift foot control broke, frame sliders did their job. rear wheel was pushed in suggesting the axle is bent. rim appears to be straight tho.

If anyone has any other suggested items to problem check I am all ears.

incident details. was stopped at a right on red, the handicap behind me decided he wanted to shoot a gap in cars in his POS civic. lucky for me he remembered i was there... after he hit me of course. I hate cagers.

20220509_172017.jpg

I was recently rear ended by a geriatric patient, good news, I am fine. Bad news Akropovic doesn't make Gen1 exhausts anymore. Anyone have any suggestions for an exhaust.... please help with the frustration and general P*SS3D the F OFF mood this has me in.

pretty minor damage can was folded up sub-frame looks good, rear tail light busted, shift foot control broke, frame sliders did their job. rear wheel was pushed in suggesting the axle is bent. rim appears to be straight tho.

If anyone has any other suggested items to problem check I am all ears.

incident details. was stopped at a right on red, the handicap behind me decided he wanted to shoot a gap in cars in his POS civic. lucky for me he remembered i was there... after he hit me of course. I hate cagers.

View attachment 1651376
Whew, that sucks large donkey genitals.....

I wouldn't insult your intelligence to tell you what to look for as you've been around long enough to know.

Is it just the Yosh can that is wrecked...looks like maybe you can get another brand of slip on for it?

Sorry this happened man, that really sucks, but it's great that you and most of the bike are ok.
I would measure the swingarm, make sure it's not bent.
I would also measure the o.d of your midpipe and post it.
Others can compare what size gen1 or 2 muffler pipe diameters they have, in terms of what will fit. Gen1 stock pipes are slightly smaller in diameter than gen2, but I think you're gonna have more muffler options than you think, as the aftermarket pipes are usually a larger diameter.
You can also cut that muffler shorter.
Even if you don't like it short, I think someone would buy it as is to cut it short, or if it already was.
At least you could make a few bucks off of it.
Post more details as you look the bike over. I'm sure some of us may have a few things in our parts bin you could use.

Sorry to hear about your bike getting messed up, but glad you are ok. I would think the wheel bearing, chain tension adjusting bolts/nuts, axle and brake rotor need a at least a good inspection to make sure they are ok. Hope you can get her back to looking good soon.

Terrible that this happened, but glad you survived. I was rear ended on my '03 and it was extremely costly to repair even without frame, subframe or swingarm damage.

Thanks guys, If anyone else can think of anything I should inspect, please feel free to shout out. bike has a lot of sentimental value as it was bought with a gf 2 months before she passed away.
I have a feeling the other insurance Co. may wanna total the bike but F that, she stays with me and gets put back on the road... all 87k miles of her lol

anyone care to share thoughts on putting on a slip-on exhaust that may not be made for a hayabusa but shares similar specs? makes me a bit nervous, would it work? would it stifle the engine? dammit why can't you find new exhausts still made for the gen1!

NEW! Akrapovic Replacement Canister Muffler - Carbon Fiber (M-TCDE5/35 / LP # 425-3082) for Full Evolution II Exhaust
Contains:
  • Oval Titanium with Carbon fiber outer sleeve
  • 350mm / 13.75" Length
  • 60mm Inlet
  • 53-55mm Outlet

As long as the muffler fits...it works.
It's not going to choke out the engine.
Especially an Akropovic, they are high quality.
Sure, you can lose or gain a hp or 2 based on muffler design, shape, and length, but nothing you'de really notice, or that would or could harm anything.
Basically, you need a muffler that fits the midpipe, that You like the looks and sound of, and that's it.
No worries, your engine will be fine.

Back