Warranty and the 600 miles service

Tiresmoke

Registered
So once and for all... does anyone have any hard evidence that suggests doing the 600 mile initial service yourself will void your factory warranty? I'm guessing this is one of the most popular bike urban myths out there... but I could be wrong. Opinions?

do you know how to do a 600 mile service?
rock.gif

My dealer told me that servicing your own bike is fine (insert the fact that I'm sure there's some small print somewhere and Suzuki will lean on that fact if you ever need something covered under warranty)...keep your receipts and very good notes in your owner manual about what you did, how many miles you had, dates, etc...

I've done all of my own service since I bought the bike...there's not much to it...I did have a performance shop look over everything after my 600 mile maintenance, but I'm the only one that's serviced the bike aside from a lowering mod...

I do have to add, though, that I'm sure I'd catch sh*t if I ever needed something fixed under warranty unless I went back to my original dealer...I fall back on that fact, so if I am ever in a bind, I'll just head back to NC and have him take care of the bike...

I'm from the school of thought that if something's going to go wrong, I'll have a hard time getting Suzuki to fix it no matter what I've done or not done...I count on paying for things out of pocket, and won't be getting the extended warranty after my first year is up...so, it really depends on what you're willing to cough up in a crisis...
cool.gif

I had my dealer do the 600 mile warranty work just to have it in their computer. I kept the bike stock till then, but have since done some modification, that is where I am wondering about the warranty.
It will be a word game if it evey comes to grt them to do some warranty work. I have only replaced the D&D cans and removed the pair valve, removed the truck mudder fender, put on some after market rear blinkers. These are the only changes that they might say that that voided the warranty, all others were cosmetic.
I guess I will argue the point when the time comes, if it comes.

Ride safe.

If you are capable of doing the service yourself and keep your own records then do so. if not take it to the dealer. The fact of the matter is if you can change the oil and filter, adjust the idle, fast idle, and chain, and check all the bolts for proper tightness etc, you will save yourself some money and learn about your bike at the same time. Plus there is pride of ownership in the care of your motorcycle. The manual specifically states what needs to be done so do it yourself.

The 600 mile service is not BS per se' but what most dealers charge for doing it is BS and most do nothing more than change the oil and filter and a quick once over - not near what you would put into it knowing that it is YOUR bike. Do it yourself unless you are not capable or willing.

<!--EDIT|EAKbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1079732328 -->

its better to have the shop do the 600 miler that way its on thier computer, you can do your own but you want to get the checklist from the dealership, do the checklist and keep good records and keep all reciepts for filters etc, and do everything by the book!

Doing it yourself will NOT void the warranty.
What it will do however is void any shot you ever had of getting
Suzuki to "good will" you. This means that if there is any grey to your claim... they will not help you. Something
real expensive break on day 366 of ownership... too bad. Even if it was something that would have been
covered on day 360. When your service writer/advisor etc calls Suzuki to
get something covered one of the 1st things Suzuki asks...
"Was the 1st service done???" "If no... yer screwed. I was a service
advisor, seen it happen both ways.

<!--EDIT|RaiderDm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1079746745 -->

Your 1st service should be done by the dealer only to keep your records straight even though it's a bunch of B.S. If you decide to do the service yourself,keep all your records and checklists complete.There is no reason a good dealership would not warranty your bike if you support their business as a good customer. Bringing your bike to a dealership for the first time under a warranty issue and them knowing you did the first service yourself isn't a real good idea. They will probably tell you to pound salt.
                         Joe

I let the local dealer do mine cuz I wanted to do a 300+ mi trip the nextday but I have serviced it ever since.

let the dealer do the first service and get the thing in printed form to keep with your records so if some warranty work comes along and Suzuki askes you about the initial service info you can give it to them ,It cost me 150 .

Back