Warning: Keyless ignition

UncleSteve

Gear good - roadrash bad
Donating Member
Registered
Today show just ran a story on people with keyless ignition cars. They drive home into the garage and forget to turn off the car and gas themselves with carbon monoxide.
Is this the car companies fault or is this just natural selection? I tend to think something is wrong with people who do not have the simple awareness to turn off their car after they park in the garage. Really ... is it so different pushing a button or turning a key. I am amazed that they have the gall to sue the car company. Is this just me or is common sense a thing of the past? We have the push button start and never forget to turn the car off. And if you think it is just the elderly, it is not. Should these people take a test before they can purchase a keyless ignition vehicle. Get ready for another lawyer warning label on the cars with keyless ignition. It should read, hey stupid, turn the car off after you close the garage door!!! :banghead:

I deal with this everyday because about half the vehicles I sell are push button start/stop.
People say 'oh I don't want that because you can kill yourself !'
I look at them and simply ask 'how many times they have forgotten to turn off current car?'
They always reply 'never?' and I ask them why a push button would be any different?

Your right. Either they forget to turn off a regular car and are stupid or don't but configuration of ignition I dont think influences anything.

homer.jpg

homer.jpg

So I have a serious question about this...
Scenario: keyless ignition on a hybrid car

You drive home, 25mph in your neighborhood. Car goes into electric mode i.e. engine off
You pull into garage, close garage door, get out, get groceries, kids are screaming, dogs are barking.
You go into house, drop off groceries, start doing your normal routine.
Car is left ON.

Battery is running electronics/dashboard etc. Battery gets a little low and engine kicks on to charge things up.

Could it happen? What's the worse that could happen?

if your house is built properly the house should be sealed from the garage so no gases get n the house.

This is not a problem for owners of Old Harleys. We have been putting little notes on our bikes stating: "Turn ON the GAS stupid!" for years!"

So maybe a little sticker on he dash....:whistle:

People will sue for anything! Kind of like that woman the sued McDonald cause she burnt herself with the hot coffee. Common sense would tell you it's hot.

The problem may lay in the fact that perhaps these peepul no longer have their house keys attached to their car keys now. In the old days(before hybrids) you had to remove yer keys from the ignition cause you need them to unlock the house.

When you stop a hybrid and open the door,does it not send out a warning chime like every other car? Key in ignition,lights left on,etc.???

RSD.

LOL, this reminds me of a funny story that my mother told me. So she goes on vacation with her boyfriend and they rent a prius....she tells me the prius "stalled" while sitting in traffic lol. I said, "you sure it didnt just go into electric mode?" She replies, "let me finish my story" So her bf keeps pushing the start/stop button (inadvertently turning the car off) so they get out and start pushing the car out of traffic. LMFAO!!! :rofl: Then relize the car had just gone into electric mode and while trying to restart, they actually turned the car off. (Sorry mom, had to share that with the org :laugh:)

??? lol here my 2 cent again here we go with people not want to take personal responsibility for they action really with people been so sue happy now and days im not suprize :cheerleader:

my monsta in law has this feature on her genesis. really? is it so difficult to put key in ignition and turn to start. another useless feature.:whistle:

The problem may lay in the fact that perhaps these peepul no longer have their house keys attached to their car keys now. In the old days(before hybrids) you had to remove yer keys from the ignition cause you need them to unlock the house.

When you stop a hybrid and open the door,does it not send out a warning chime like every other car? Key in ignition,lights left on,etc.???

RSD.

who locks the door from the inside garage to the house. Seems redundant if the garage door is closed. Inless you lock your inside door, and leave the garage door up all the time and let people have access to your stuff in the garage.

i could see this happening with todays life styles we have, but to sue over it would be stupid, but it will happen just like u said unclesteve

Back