Warning!: Digital Cameras and airport security don’t mix!

BUBBA

Foghoon Leghoon
Donating Member
Registered
Okay, I know there will be naysayers that do not believe this, and to you I say, Pffffffffffffttt!

I just got back from a weekend in Show Low, AZ and the weather conditions were spectacular. I took many shots of the Big sky and the wonderfully diverse cloud coverage, and even managed a hand held lightening shot.

You are probably wondering where they are, well so am I, dad gum it!.

When I tried to download the images, they were junk! Only two pictures survived and, those were the ones I took, AFTER we passed through the security X-Ray machine in Phoonix.

I am so mad at myself I can’t see straight and just wanted to remind people to be careful this vacation season, and take the camera out of your bag and hand it to an attendant.
Ask them to do a visual only and not pass through the X-Ray machine.
I have never had this happen in the past, but this time the bag was held in the machine longer than usual, while they were looking at something else. I know this is what caused the malfunction.

Be careful of your photos, peeps, you never know when the best will get away from you.

Sorry for not having a photo to share with the Org.,

I am currently running some Image recovery software that came with the CF card. Intially it did not work, but I am trying another trick and I think it is working.

Bubba, down in the Hoondocks. :down:

That's messed up! I'm always hesitant about those machines, but what choice do we really have? Maybe you could take the card out when you put it through and keep it in your pocket? I doubt it would set off the metal detector... But who knows right? ???

That's messed up! I'm always hesitant about those machines, but what choice do we really have? Maybe you could take the card out when you put it through and keep it in your pocket? I doubt it would set off the metal detector... But who knows right? ???

That's why you're supposed to ride to your destination. :laugh:

I suspect that security may be OK if you hand them the mem card and ask them to keep it out of the scanners. It's small enough that they s/b able to do a visual check to ensure that it doesn't contain military grade explosives or an air-to-air missile and launch system. :whistle:

That's why you're supposed to ride to your destination. :laugh:

I suspect that security may be OK if you hand them the mem card and ask them to keep it out of the scanners. It's small enough that they s/b able to do a visual check to ensure that it doesn't contain military grade explosives or an air-to-air missile and launch system. :whistle:

:rofl: That'd be quite a technology leap... :laugh:

This is something I've always wondered about happening. Now my suspicions have been confirmed. My only question is why it affects some film (i.e. yours) and not all travelers who go thru security. Maybe something to do what its kept in???

My toothbrush has made several trips thru and my teeth have never been brighter.:laugh: All jokes aside sorry about your pics.

that sucks but because i work with x-ray and gamma radiation i dont really see them putting out enough energy to damage a camera. not saying it doesnt happen but i carry a digital camera from time to time at work with a memory card, my cell phone has an mini sd card, our trucks electronics get exposed and our xray machines are pretty complex and x-ray radiation wont harm them in the slightest. personally bubba i would invest in a lead bag if you were concerned with this, and line it with some aluminum foil type material to shield from a magnetic field.

that sucks but because i work with x-ray and gamma radiation i dont really see them putting out enough energy to damage a camera. not saying it doesnt happen but i carry a digital camera from time to time at work with a memory card, my cell phone has an mini sd card, our trucks electronics get exposed and our xray machines are pretty complex and x-ray radiation wont harm them in the slightest. personally bubba i would invest in a lead bag if you were concerned with this, and line it with some aluminum foil type material to shield from a magnetic field.

I have never had a problem in the past, but as I said, it was held under the machine for an extended period.

Now I have heard that you can give it to the tech and he will place it in some kind of plastic. A co-worker was telling me about it, I have not heard of this, but I will not risk it again. I am sure they would have no problem doing an eye only on such a small item.

Thanks,
Bubba

Some times the NDT guys would tell me to grab my camera if they were getting any shots near my truck if they had a really hot pill. But that was the old school film.

Some times the NDT guys would tell me to grab my camera if they were getting any shots near my truck if they had a really hot pill. But that was the old school film.

yea radiation will smoke any type of film, but every film has an "R" factor, a point at which it will become exposed. faster speed of film "faster" lower the R factor. ive had a few of those shoot and turn in jobs, never smoked one and always left it in the truck. which is inside my restricted area, but not in any high radiation areas.

but digital media, i think it would take more energy than even that machine can generate. a fluoroscope like they use is really sensitive and doesn't take much energy to operate with what they are shooting through. now granted if they used a scope on steel parts varied thicknesses etc etc they would require more to a level that MAY damage a piece of electronics, but i think it would be more due to the energy level not the radiation.

also this is just my experience based opinion, im no expert in this, but i do work in the ndt field.

Last edited:
Me thinks simple coincidence and another problem happened ?
I travel alot and have never lost images from any data card going thru X-ray machine .
But it can't hurt to take it out and keep it in your pocket .
Then only thing will happen if it's found is you will be accused of being and Intl spy smuggling digital data :)

Sidenote I thought you meant by title you took a pic or two of security which I er uh Adam found out hard way last trip they don't like .
I had GoPro strapped around him filming and one of the TSA guys got just a lil upset , just a lil :)

Back