Wanting to get a better camera

theskaz

I am all that is BACON!
Donating Member
Registered
I have always used those 100 buck point n shoot type cameras and wanted something a little better.

So been looking around and it looks like a Nikon D40 would be a good start. some refurbished ones are about 200 bucks with all the acc.

Thoughts?

I have always used those 100 buck point n shoot type cameras and wanted something a little better.

So been looking around and it looks like a Nikon D40 would be a good start. some refurbished ones are about 200 bucks with all the acc.

Thoughts?

That's a great starter camera and the price is right. Most never really outgrow this type of camera. And if you want to step it up, save your money and buy good glass, lenses are the thing you want to not cheapen up on.

I like the Canon series myself, but Nikon is probably somewhat better. I like the variety of lenses that Canon has to offer.
Just my 2 pennies,
Bubba

Thanks!

so umm.. looking at cheap accessories and saw a 2x telephoto lense and a wide angle lense... what do those do?

That's a great starter camera and the price is right. Most never really outgrow this type of camera. And if you want to step it up, save your money and buy good glass, lenses are the thing you want to not cheapen up on.

I like the Canon series myself, but Nikon is probably somewhat better. I like the variety of lenses that Canon has to offer.
Just my 2 pennies,
Bubba

Thanks!

so umm.. looking at cheap accessories and saw a 2x telephoto lense and a wide angle lense... what do those do?

The wide angle lens is great for portrait and large landscape views.

The telephotos are for bringing the object close,

The trick is in the fstop No. this is a No. that represents the aperture opening to focal length ratio.
This No. is on the front of the lens and will look like this 2.8 or 3.2, 4.0 and so on.
The cheaper telephotos and Zoom lens will have a No. higher than 3.2 (which is a smaller dia, but I wont get into that here)

A really good lens will have a single fstop No. such as 2.8 or lower. I will try to take some shots and show you what to look for.

There are much better shutterbugs on this board and they will pipe up I am sure.

If you are not in a rush I will get with you later,
Gotta run,
Bubba

Cool. what about taking shots of fast action stuff?

You mean like this?
This is my fav lens - 70 - 200mm 2.8L Canon
shutter =1/800
fstop =7.1
focal length =120mm

IMG_7724.jpg

yeah. how many pics can you take while he goes through the corner?

yeah. how many pics can you take while he goes through the corner?

6.5 frames per second will get you a boatload!
That's with the Canon 40D, I don't know the fps of the Nikon.

Last edited:
Here's my setup... It's Nikon D40 with a Nikon 18-200mm VR lens. Very nice combo... :beerchug:
IMG_7728-d40-18-200mm.jpg

The price on that D40 is very good. I was just recently in the same boat as you are as I was looking for a new camera and decided on stepping up to the SLR ranks. My personal choice was the D5000 in the Nikon lineup. This camera is comparable to the D60 and the new D3000 is comparable to the D40. There are quite a few people here that helped me tremendously in my decision. You might send F=MA a pm. Just make sure to look at all the features that come with the camera that you will end up getting. The better glass that you get will get you better pics as Bubba stated earlier.

The price on that D40 is very good. I was just recently in the same boat as you are as I was looking for a new camera and decided on stepping up to the SLR ranks. My personal choice was the D5000 in the Nikon lineup. This camera is comparable to the D60 and the new D3000 is comparable to the D40. There are quite a few people here that helped me tremendously in my decision. You might send F=MA a pm. Just make sure to look at all the features that come with the camera that you will end up getting. The better glass that you get will get you better pics as Bubba stated earlier.

One thing I have to consider is price. I dont want to invest in a lot of upfront money, in case i drop the hobby... The wif wont be so mad.

One thing I have to consider is price. I dont want to invest in a lot of upfront money, in case i drop the hobby... The wif wont be so mad.
That's the nice part about getting a d40.. Its pretty cheap for the body and very reliable. Plus it can take some killer photos if you put some nice glass on it... My lens cost more than my body... :whistle:

That's the nice part about getting a d40.. Its pretty cheap for the body and very reliable. Plus it can take some killer photos if you put some nice glass on it... My lens cost more than my body... :whistle:

yes i saw the going prices for that lense....sheesh....

yes i saw the going prices for that lense....sheesh....

But it was worth every penny! I love it! :thumbsup:

If you're really worried about it, just start out with a d40 and a kit lens. Be warned though that it will get addictive and you'll be wanting to upgrade very quickly... :laugh:

Well i was bidding on ebay for the D40 and seeing how far it went up and actually ended up winning it....

Guess i will have the D40.

Consider a Panasonic Lumix G1. It's smaller and lighter than other DSLRs and has no internal moving parts. The viewfinder is outstanding. The 400mm zone it can use easily fits into a pocket.

The G1 doesn't compete with the higher end DLSRs, but it holds it's own very well. It can capture upto 3.5 frames per second.

If I didn't already have all Canon lenses I would get one.

Well congrats on the Nikon. Enjoy and post some test shots when you get it. Invest in a good zoom lens that supports macro mode and a 28mm or smaller wide angle.

You want an 28-135mm or 18-200mm range zoom lens that supports macro mode. It will be the mist flexible lens and you will get great use out of it. I have a 28-135mm zoom that is my primary lens. I love it. Takes outstanding close-ups and macro shots too.

Back