Wanted to give my feedback (good and bad) for fixing second gear

cbibb

Registered
First I have no idea why it started slightly jumping in second with only 7900 miles.But it is what it is. First I have to thank the guys on this board for their help (in particular 1bondoman/gixxerhp and a few more that I cannot remember the screen names). I would have to say the biggest "mistake" I made as this was my first time, is that I wish I would have bought an additional transmission to be sent out for undercutting. Even though Robinson Industries got it done very quickly, I was still without the transmission for 2 weeks. With work/kids/life etc, you would be amazed at how much you forget in 2 weeks. Another extremely important thing that I learned is that you are taking numerous parts of the bike apart. There is a certain way that EACH part "area" goes back together. You really have to take your time with each "area". For example the clutch area has a certain way its assembled. As well as the oil pan/counter balancer/starter assembly etc. You absolutely MUST have a manual, and use that manual for EVERY area you are putting back together. TAKE YOUR TIME in assembling everything to ensure it is done correctly. Its crazy how every single piece/washer/spacer etc has their specific spot. BUT on a very good note, the engine is back together, in the bike and running great!!! Oh and that suzuki bond is some nasty stuff!!

Ha sounds like you need a pat on the back!
Glad you got it done, you saved your self soooo much money, and a big ole hell yeh to you!
Now as far as your little mishap, with the spring, you did the right thing, stepped back, and
remembered what it was!
Now for as far why it happened,, second gear has been a problem on Suzuki's for a long time.
No rime nor reason, some bikes fail and others dont!

Glad you got it handled and all is good!!
Yeah I normally already have a trans ready to go in when I tear one down.
That would suck having to wait 2 weeks. You did replace 2nd gear shift for to I hope!

I ended up replacing all the shift forks. Those little suckers are expensive!! Im going to sell the bike (2 back surgeries and 4 knee surgeries, just cant do it anymore) so I wanted to make sure everything was fixed correctly. I dont want the new owner to have any issues at all.

Digital cameras are awesome when doing repair work. I bought a Microsoft Surface and have my shop manual downloaded on it. I take picks as I go and sometimes they are invaluable. Just have to be careful with greasy hands and dropping things.

Back