Want to know why your Stressed, overweight

Revlis

Re-Recycled, Busa-Less...
Donating Member
Registered
This should be fairly obvious stuff, if not read it and try to be honest with yourself. As someone who has spent the last 10 years myself also pimping for the Man? There is a lot of truth to it. The more you think you are immune to the ads and the marketing, the more you swear you cannot be manipulated the more you probably are.

Check this out. Good Read. The one reason you are Stressed, overweight.... By Brian Vaszily

The one reason you are Stressed, overweight.... By Brian Vaszily

I came across this looking at car colors. Interesting reading.

People who drive Silver or Blue cars Should NOT read this.

People Who Drive Blue or Silver Cars should not read this.

He has a very Good Point, this is something that Americans are especially guilty of, Thinking that the owning of or the wearing of a label or brand makes you somehow... More like the Hype and Advertising around that Brand.

Worshiping the labels.

...You are not the brand of car you drive. You are not the label on your shirt. You are not the political party you vote for, the stores you shop at, nor the type of house you live in. You can adore sports and hate Gatorade, you can love God and not be a member of their church, and choosy mothers don't necessarily choose Jif.

You are the stuff of your deeply held beliefs, the stuff of the accomplishments you worked hard for, the stuff of whatever you and you alone define as truly important. ...[/Quote]

Dunno who this guy is, but there are some pretty good insights to be had.

Interesting point and true to a degree. Luckily "That doesn't apply to me" hahahahaha no seriously. I avoid TV, ADs, Coupons, News, Magazine and internet Ads for a very long time. If I need or want something *I* decide to look for it and determine which one to get after I look into it. And the marketers never tell me I need it, or I'm not listening because I am never in sync with the society norm --- by my own choice and hard work to stay disconnected. It takes work -- it's LESS work to just fall over and get buried in the world's marketing pile of steaming dung, than it is to STAND UP and make decisions on your own not based on how OTHERS will end up seeing you. Work.

I'm no longer stressed - got out of that stressful job and have a new one...
I've lived debt free since highschool by design.
*I* think I'm overweight - because my last job had no exercise in it and put on a few pounds, but others think I'm thin, and doctors say i'm just fine...
I'm not depressed, and never get angry anymore, thanks to my belief in God which helped me see how the world REALLY works. I'm ok, you're ok!
biggrin.gif

I feel most of our problems are self induced by following a path we THINK leads somewhere, but just goes up a steeper hill with every step. This is NOT how we were meant to live, but yes, media manipulation tells us every day that we should be that way. Here's a book I think sums it up nicely if you read the reviews - I have not read it yet. Saw a PBS special that was pretty cool
http://www.amazon.com/Status-Anxiety-Alain-Botton/dp/0375420835

It was interesting to me that he states HE is part of the problem. Very nobel and true. I feel that way too just by having a job and buying toys I dont HAVE TO HAVE to live, but it's our lives here today, 2007, and some of the toys are kinda fun. Yet, I feed the problem myself -- I have cooler toys than others and they get envious, etc etc etc
sad.gif

Yer takin' the words right out of my mouth, Rev. Except for the weight part. I could stand to lose some tonnage.

I despise commercial T.V. I'll watch DVD's and read books till my eyeballs fall out. If it weren't for my DVR, I probably wouldn't watch ANY T.V. shows and as it is, I only watch a very few and FF through the commercials. Mandatory for me.

When I'm making a large purchase, I always give myself an extra day to think about it. I've walked out of more auto showrooms than I can count and then, the next day, decided I didn't need that new car THAT bad.

Keep up the great posting, bud.

--Wag--

WWJD, Avoiding marketing ploys by avoiding the MASS market media venues is a fine idea, it will open your eyes, but I don't think it makes you immune. You're being marketed too every minute of every day. As we go down the Highway, at work, you name it. Look around right now, wherever you're at, I bet you can find 3-4 name brands, Labels, etc... Each with their own insidious little pull on our psyches.

well I see names of things on labels of things I bought due to price, feature, or taste:

Harvest Bounty - raisons and mixed nuts [cheap snack]
Dell - this laptop, did what I needed [gaming] and price was right thanks to Pand from here
HP printer - borrowed from folks for resumes since I never print
Capri-Sun Punch - convenient and tastey
Qwest DSL Modem
Welches white grape peach juice - nummy drink
Stuff I picked or choose off a shelf when I didn't HAVE to, but wanted it. None of this was ever advertised to me - it was just there on the shelf with all the other brands when I went shopping
smile.gif

I'm not totally cut off from it, but work to avoid it all the time. I watch my parents surf the web and they see and AD and go "wonder what this is?" and I wanna slap them! hahahhaha

It IS aweful scarey once your eyes are opened to the suggestive manipulations -- some eyes will never be able to see it or accept it, even when presented directly to them in black and white.

Taken a step further - get around ALL the canned laughter in most sitcoms [telling you when to laugh] and you will find many of them not that funny at all. and you will find "roles" and stereotypes being programmed into wives, husbands, kids.... is that art immatating life, or Life immating ART now? ? ?

(Revlis @ Mar. 03 2007,15:flamethrowing:) WWJD, Avoiding marketing ploys by avoiding the MASS market media venues is a fine idea, it will open your eyes, but I don't think it makes you immune.  You're being marketed too every minute of every day.  As we go down the Highway, at work, you name it.  Look around right now, wherever you're at, I bet you can find 3-4 name brands, Labels, etc...  Each with their own insidious little pull on our psyches.
I feel like I'm in the same boat at WWJD, (except the overweight part) but know that at times in the past I was caught up like the majority of Americans. For me, it dwindled down about the time I found out who I really am and stopped caring what others think of me.

I turned off the TV for the most part in 1991, I'm just now getting back to watching some TV.

Kevin

Um, wife, three kids under the age of 6, a teenage nephew living with me, two dogs that eat my house, two jobs, a mortgage, two car payments, the price of a concert, not having my paint job done yet, .....

Is that enough reasons for me being stressed and overweight?

WOW Revlis thanks for telling me im Fat and Lazy now i know why....
jump9.gif

I'm with WWJD. I'm sure it may apply to a large part of the population (US in particular) but it doesn't apply to everybody. A lot of what he says, especially the crap about colors is nothing but lame psychobabble. The vehicles I own are simply colors that I like. If I had a choice between an AMC Pacer or a new Camry I'd have to choose the Pacer over the lemming-mobile.
When it comes to TV the MUTE button is my best friend. I would wear rags and go barefoot before owning any Nike product. I don't need a Shoei or Arai helmet when a less expensive SNELL approved helmet provides the same protection. I laugh my ass off at lemmings who buy worthless crap like IPODS when there are hundreds of better choices out there for a fraction of the cost.

When I buy a product I do research before going to the stores. I don't deal with places like Circuit City because I don't need a sales droid's help. When I bought my Busa I went directly to the sales manager because I despise the droids on the floor. I chose blue/silver because I simply liked the color combo over the others offered that year...no underlying issues.
I don't own a cell phone. My company supplies me with a nextel for work and it's shut off at the end of the day and usually left in the dash console.

Do I have name brand items in my house? Uh yeah, no shid. Every damn thing you buy has a name brand attached to it. If I didn't I'd be living naked in an empty cave.

Do I listen to El Rushbo? Yep. I sure as all hell aint a "ditto head" though. Listening to that fat slob is the equivalent of staring at a bad train accident. The comedy is great like when he goes on a tirade about compact fluorescent light bulbs and how he doesn't care about them saving energy then cuts to a fuggin' commercial with HIM pimping a tankless hot water heater and how everyone should buy one because it saves energy. Sad part is I bet there are shid for brains ditto head fans of his that will go out and buy that brand of tankless hot water heater and scorn those evil compact fluorescent bulbs.

Do I have a credit card? Hell yes I do! Capital One pays ME $300+ a month in interest. It's a nice trickle down process. Those who buy overpriced overhyped crap like Nike, Ipods the latest cell phone, ect. are typically up to their ass in debt. They pay interest to the credit card company for the rest of their life which trickles back to me for having a high yield money market with them. Pretty sweet deal actually!

As an added bonus I actually like my job and I'm not overweight!
smile.gif

It's good to know there are others out there that know about the hidden marketing and avoid it! I felt so lonely! GROUP HUG!
smile.gif

But yeah, on the whole, I do believe the vast majority are directionless until a direction is SUGGESTED to them via TV "Programming". As long as that majority does not impede my free thiking, no one has to get hurt
biggrin.gif

I'm stressed out all the time cause i have 3 kids my daughter,son and husband and i'm not over weight

Back