want to build a lowering kit

TommyGunn1300

Registered
i want to lower my bike but i dont want to spend any money doing it. i work in a machine shop and can build anything i need, i just dont know what it consist of to do it. from what i understand i just need some bar risers so i can lower the front that way, and come kind of linkage for the rear. where would i get the hole to hole measurments to make one? anybody got one laying around they would measure for me?

thanks,
Tommy

mines not lowered. you mean just measure the stock linkage then shorten it by 2inchs? can i lower the front that much without buying a triple?

Last edited:
You can make the parts necessary fairly easily.

Lowering the front, you can make spacers to let the forks slide up. I believe (Correct me if im wrong) that anything more than 1"-1'1/4" will begin to cause throttle/electrical cable issues. So if you want to go lower than that, it would probably be better to buy a triple tree.

As far as the back is concerned, take the stock links off and measure the length, measure from the center of each bolt hole etc... In order to make the links, you will actually make them longer than the stock links(Shorter links raise the bike). So you will need to measure and make the new links 2" or whatever you decide to go with, longer than the stock links. You can even make 1" increment adjustments by drilling multiple holes for multiple adjustments, or use aircraft rod ends, to make them adjustable with a wrench, similar to Soupy's Links.

Lastly, obviously the links are not something you want breaking at high speeds. They need to be made out of Billet, Steel etc.. or something equally strong that can take the stress. I would not go with cheaper aluminum just to save some weight, make them out of some quality metal.

Just my .02

B

Last edited:
Just buy the things you need to do it right. Why waste the time and end up killing yourself due to a mistake due to inexperiance on the subject. Hell your looking at around 200 bucks. If your that bad off then sell the bike.

Sorry dont mean to rant.

Just buy the things you need to do it right. Why waste the time and end up killing yourself due to a mistake due to inexperiance on the subject. Hell your looking at around 200 bucks. If your that bad off then sell the bike.

Sorry dont mean to rant.

it would be out of 316 stainless. im not paying somebody 200bux for something i can do in 20min for free out of some scrap at work. they trust me to build parts for the nuclear plant and airplane motors. i think i can handle a lowering kit :D

316 S.S is nice chit! To lower the front, dont you need a tree with thru holes to let the fork tubes slide upward? :whistle:

ok center to center is 4 3/4 for stock, 5 1/4 for a 2" drop and 5 3/4 for a 4" drop. Hope this helps

thanks a ton man! just what i needed. think im going to go with the 2inch drop so theres no messing with cables and wires with doing a 2inch spacer.

thanks again
TOmmy

thanks a ton man! just what i needed. think im going to go with the 2inch drop so theres no messing with cables and wires with doing a 2inch spacer.

thanks again
TOmmy

If you go lower than 1" 1/4, than you will hear your front fender tap up against your nose fairing pan if you hit a bump real hard. Mine is lowered 1" in the front and I hear the tap when I go down my driveway which is on a hill. You could probably remove the pan, however I would not recommend doing that unless you have some way of covering the back of your headlight and all those goodies that your bike needs to run.???

Here are some pics of my front end lowered. The spacers are one inch and the bolts are longer.

The front fender as you can see is not far from the nose fairing pan thingy.:whistle:

SD530137.JPG

SD530138.JPG

SD530139.JPG

SD530140.JPG

could i drop 2 in the rear and 1 in the front? or should i drop 1 in rear too? 1 inch doesn't seem like it would make a diffrence?

Unless you plan on drag racing I wouldn't drop rear lower then front. You can drop more in rear then in front though,but I'm not sure how much. 1 1/4" in front max with spacers.

pm"me i can give you specs for making a 5 hole dog bone on a mill and also explain on how to lower your forks internally with only a few tools.

Back