Wanna go NASCAR racing?

WuzzaCBXRider

Donating Member
Registered
How about this bumper sandwich @ 194 mph? With two laps to go and after a dozen+ car crash earlier.

These guys couldn’t race one lap in open wheel cars.

Yea, yesterday was a chit show. I was there early, couldnt get to my parking lot. After 2 hours I parked my car. Stood in line to enter the speedway for an hour. Then found out by the info desk rep that I was in the wrong line. Moved to “correct” line and after another hour a rep walked by and told us all that another line is quicker. I asked if we need to enter the gate that is on out ticket. He says no. Fork me. Stood in the “short” line for another hour before we got in. Ran to the seats just in time to see Trump lead the pace car.
pace car pulls into pit row to start the race and barely sprinkles...shut down the race for :45 to “dry” the track. Finally start the race. Get 20 laps in and stopped for rain. Again just a tiny shower. After an hour of waiting the wife and I call it a wash. walk back to the car and get caught in a monsoon. Now completely soaked through and wait in traffic trying to get away. Nearly every road is closed! Took about an hour to get away from the speedway and another hour home.
I have never been a Nascar fan, but thought I would take the wife for her first event. I go to a few races there but usually imsa, Rolex, and hpde stuff. This was a horrible experience. Never again.
So much for the cost of new Busa tires!
Troy
oh, and btw, my buddy was racing in Road Atlanta last weekend while is was FN snowing! Cant believe the wusses in Nascar wont drive in and rain.

483CFFC1-B7CB-408B-A5BE-9235A5E5F9E3.jpeg

In today’s race continuation after the huge multi car crashes, there was a two lap run to the checker, with another crash and then a one lapper that had yet another crash, a serious one for the car that got flipped upside down and hit by another car as he toched down, upside down, and skidded on his top all the way. The car that initially ‘pushed’ him finished second by a couple of feet. It’s quite obvious to me why they don’t allow rain tires on these 3,400 pound 190+ mph out of control bumper cars.

In today’s race continuation after the huge multi car crashes, there was a two lap run to the checker, with another crash and then a one lapper that had yet another crash, a serious one for the car that got flipped upside down and hit by another car as he toched down, upside down, and skidded on his top all the way. The car that initially ‘pushed’ him finished second by a couple of feet. It’s quite obvious to me why they don’t allow rain tires on these 3,400 pound 190+ mph out of control bumper cars.
So what you're saying is that these guys couldn't drive two laps without crashing, and then couldn't make it around one time without crashing? I so don't understand this sport.

So what you're saying is that these guys couldn't drive two laps without crashing, and then couldn't make it around one time without crashing? I so don't understand this sport.

Well they did run a lot of laps w/o crashing, sort of drafting each other, 10-20 cars in a row in two lines, hi and lo, approaching 200 mph inches (or less) from the car in front like so many train cars hooked together, but changing positions off and on when the draft is just right. Daytona is a 2.5 mile track so they run 200 laps in stages, however that’s calculated? The helmet restraints built into their seats seems to eliminate any chance at peripheral vision so there’s that...:confused: And they’ve figured over the years (and after hundreds of crashed cars) that they needed to build in aero flaps all over the outer shell of the bodies that pop up for sideways and backwards running also, for speeds nearing 200 mph. Hopefully the driver taken to the hospital will be all right. They put up black partitions to keep the fans and the press from watching them remove the driver from his upside down car.

I don't think going 200 mph and only turning left is any more mindless than going as fast as you can in a straight line for a quarter mile. I was a racing snob too at one time. The only real racing was road racing (bikes or cars). Then I went to see a NASCAR race in Richmond and several drag racing events. These guys are amazing and the technology is so off the hook you have to be interested in it. While drag racing is just awe inspiring to watch especially at a high level, NASCAR is a fascinating technology lesson every telecast. Finally, the NASCAR guy drive like football players. They don't worry about a little (or a lot) contact.

I get what you're saying, both of you, it's not about snobbery, I just don't understand why they crash so much. In every other form of racing (except demolition derby) the object is to avoid crashing at almost all costs. Seems to me like in Nascar the crashes are the spectacle. To each their own...

In re: “NASCAR is a fascinating technology lesson every telecast.“

Can you elaborate on this?

and,
“Finally, the NASCAR guy drive like football players. They don't worry about a little (or a lot) contact.“

But it’s a car race, not football.

I get what you're saying, both of you, it's not about snobbery, I just don't understand why they crash so much. In every other form of racing (except demolition derby) the object is to avoid crashing at almost all costs. Seems to me like in Nascar the crashes are the spectacle. To each their own...

At 200mph you cover 293ft/sec. Above average reaction time of half a second would still mean you hit a dozen cars before you can lift off the throttle. I’m not a Nascar fan but Daytona is the one race I watch. It’s a combination of strategy, luck, speed, and February boredom. And everyone is waiting for the big one that always happens. With the reaction from announcers and the actions taken at the track I didn’t think the news was gonna be good about Ryan Newman.

At 200mph you cover 293ft/sec. Above average reaction time of half a second would still mean you hit a dozen cars before you can lift off the throttle. I’m not a Nascar fan but Daytona is the one race I watch. It’s a combination of strategy, luck, speed, and February boredom. And everyone is waiting for the big one that always happens. With the reaction from announcers and the actions taken at the track I didn’t think the news was gonna be good about Ryan Newman.
But F1 cars, LMR cars, GP and WSB bikes all manage those speeds while crashing far less. I understand that danger is inherent to motorsports, but they seem to do it more often than anyone else.

Back