Wacked busa

bajaboy169

Registered
:banghead: My 02 canada busa won't start no power to to starter but I have 12.86 volts at the battery.. the kill switch is in the run pos, the key is on, the tip switch works, and the kick stand switch works. I have intermitent power to the fuel pump but the starter relay sounds like an electric chair (buzzzzzz) when I hit the start button. also my speedo and tach gages move tach at 5000 and speedo at 90mph with no function codes listed on the lcd screen.
Please someone HELP me???

First thing Id check is the battery terminals. Make sure there clean. Then follow the leads to the starter/ relay and check there too. Might be silly but do you have the clutch engaged?

Moin moin,

the battery voltage of 12.86 Volt makes no conclusion when measured without load.
Your "electric chair (buzzzzzz)" tells me your battery is gone.
Try the following:
1) Measure the battery's voltage while the electric chair is on :-), you'll see the voltage drops down below 9 Volts.
2) Jumper cable and a car and your bike will start...

Ciao
D1

Don't use a car to jump start your bike. If you absolutely need to attempt something like it, make sure the car is NOT running. It's better to jump start a bike with another bike if at all possible.

I'd check the battery terminals first as well. From there, starter lead, and the ground cables.

It probably is the battery, though.

Also worth mentioning, there was a starter recall on 1999-2002 bikes. The starter can be damaged if the engine kicks back on hot restarts, and can potentially damage items beyond the starter as well. Most of the 2003 starter parts fit, with the exception of the clutches themselves.

I did have a hot start kick back that shatered both starter drive gears I replaced them with the 03 gears I just put a new battery in the bike to no avail stil will not start.

Don't use a car to jump start your bike. If you absolutely need to attempt something like it, make sure the car is NOT running. It's better to jump start a bike with another bike if at all possible.

I'd check the battery terminals first as well. From there, starter lead, and the ground cables.

It probably is the battery, though.

Also worth mentioning, there was a starter recall on 1999-2002 bikes. The starter can be damaged if the engine kicks back on hot restarts, and can potentially damage items beyond the starter as well. Most of the 2003 starter parts fit, with the exception of the clutches themselves.

true u shouldnt jump any motorcycle with a car while its running but if its not running u take a very high chance of killing ur car battery cause it wont charge it enough and u would keep draining ur car battery, and the amount of damage u do to bike with useing a car to jump it while its running isnt that much, i had a r6 that i jumped off with my car everyday cause it wouldnt maintain a charge, and have no problems with my battery, it just may take a year off its life in the long run or so.

but many people still dont get all out of a battery, should last atleast 7 years if properly started. as in the people put the right amount of distilled water and electrolytes and slow charge it for about 14-24 hour

Did you just replace the starter drive gears, and now the problem is happening? Or was it fine after upgrading to the 03 parts, and just acted up now?

Edit: some people can get away with it, but I know I fried electronics in my LTD650 by starting it with a car on numerous occasions. It's not worth the risk to me.

Last edited:
ya It just started happening I am going to bring the battery to advance auto and have them load test it.

If it started happening after you replaced the starter gears, the starter may be getting in a bind when trying to start. Remove the starter but leave it wired and see if it turns when attempting to crank. If so, something is binding the starter and you may need to look at your install again to make sure everything is correct.

Back