W Speed Rated Tires ???

V-Max 2 Busa

Registered
Just reading over some rules/regulations for an upcoming event, what in the world is a W rated tire? Which ones are W rated? How can I determine if they are W rated? Any help here?

Still confused, what little documentation regarding W speed rating I can find it would appear that those tires still are labled with a Z rating on the sidewall, for example the Shinko 003 claims to be W speed rated but the tire is labled 190/50ZR 17. I just don't get it, isn't that a Z rated tire? or shouldn't it read 190/50WR 17 instead if it is W rated?

example - Shinko Tires

Still confused, what little documentation regarding W speed rating I can find it would appear that those tires still are labled with a Z rating on the sidewall, for example the Shinko 003 claims to be W speed rated but the tire is labled 190/50ZR 17. I just don't get it, isn't that a Z rated tire? or shouldn't it read 190/50WR 17 instead if it is W rated?

example - Shinko Tires

I have no idea what the Z in the tire size identification (190/50ZR 17) stands for but the R stands for "Radial".

You'll find the W stamped into the sidewall seperately from the identification numbers. I just went to the garage and looked at a Bridgestone BT016 and it is stamped with (73W) The 73 is the weight rating. 73 means this tire has a safe load carrying capacity of 805 lbs and the W means it has a safe speed rating of 168mph.

I have no idea what the Z in the tire size identification (190/50ZR 17) stands for but the R stands for "Radial".

You'll find the W stamped into the sidewall seperately from the identification numbers. I just went to the garage and looked at a Bridgestone BT016 and it is stamped with (73W) The 73 is the weight rating. 73 means this tire has a safe load carrying capacity of 805 lbs and the W means it has a safe speed rating of 168mph.

Thanks Tuf, I believe my confusion derived from assuming that Z in the tire size identification was the speed rating of the tire.

It is but its left over from the old rating system. Z was 149+ dunno why its lasted other than to denote a performace tire with the manufacturer lines.
Posted via Mobile Device

If you go to "dunlopmotorcycle.com" and ask for their 2010 motorcycle tire pamplet, they will send one to you via snail mail. I have one here and it's full of good tire info. Has charts of how to read the ratings etc. Good Info!

:beerchug:

Back