W Speed Rated Tires ???

V-Max 2 Busa

Registered
Just reading over some rules/regulations for an upcoming event, what in the world is a W rated tire? Which ones are W rated? How can I determine if they are W rated? Any help here?

V-Max 2 Busa

Registered
Still confused, what little documentation regarding W speed rating I can find it would appear that those tires still are labled with a Z rating on the sidewall, for example the Shinko 003 claims to be W speed rated but the tire is labled 190/50ZR 17. I just don't get it, isn't that a Z rated tire? or shouldn't it read 190/50WR 17 instead if it is W rated?

example - Shinko Tires

Tufbusa

Track Coach / TufPoodle Coach
Registered
Still confused, what little documentation regarding W speed rating I can find it would appear that those tires still are labled with a Z rating on the sidewall, for example the Shinko 003 claims to be W speed rated but the tire is labled 190/50ZR 17. I just don't get it, isn't that a Z rated tire? or shouldn't it read 190/50WR 17 instead if it is W rated?

example - Shinko Tires
I have no idea what the Z in the tire size identification (190/50ZR 17) stands for but the R stands for "Radial".

You'll find the W stamped into the sidewall seperately from the identification numbers. I just went to the garage and looked at a Bridgestone BT016 and it is stamped with (73W) The 73 is the weight rating. 73 means this tire has a safe load carrying capacity of 805 lbs and the W means it has a safe speed rating of 168mph.

V-Max 2 Busa

Registered
I have no idea what the Z in the tire size identification (190/50ZR 17) stands for but the R stands for "Radial".

You'll find the W stamped into the sidewall seperately from the identification numbers. I just went to the garage and looked at a Bridgestone BT016 and it is stamped with (73W) The 73 is the weight rating. 73 means this tire has a safe load carrying capacity of 805 lbs and the W means it has a safe speed rating of 168mph.
Thanks Tuf, I believe my confusion derived from assuming that Z in the tire size identification was the speed rating of the tire.

m_ridgeway

pipeline trash
Donating Member
Registered
It is but its left over from the old rating system. Z was 149+ dunno why its lasted other than to denote a performace tire with the manufacturer lines.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tufbusa

Track Coach / TufPoodle Coach
Registered
If you go to "dunlopmotorcycle.com" and ask for their 2010 motorcycle tire pamplet, they will send one to you via snail mail. I have one here and it's full of good tire info. Has charts of how to read the ratings etc. Good Info!

:beerchug:

Latest Bikes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grahammer