Vortex V3 fuel cap review. ( video included )

c10

Registered
This cap saved about 7 ounces over the stock unit , and its build is very nice . However for touring in cold climates its not the best choice when you have to fill up 5 times a day . This video explains its short comings , and how to get around them . I have since moved onto a different cap starting today , and its a breeze to open.
It is 2 ounces heavier than the V3 Vortex , but still much lighter than OEM cap . Bonus is that it won't break the bank .
@MillertheFitter has the USA made Driven unit on his hayabusa . I was impressed with it , and decided to get one . Except base $79 , and cap was $75 :(
Between my banker ( wife ) , and paying wheels off I opted for the Chines clone . A darn good one at that . $39 shipped to be in two weeks with a cap included .
Had Driven been $ 90 to 100 with a cap I would of bought US probably .

In case anyone wants to buy the Vortex from me just let me know. $60 shipped , but won't blame you for buying the $39 dollar Arashi ;)

DSC_4884.JPG

DSC_4886.JPG

DSC_4890.JPG

DSC_4887.JPG

A good alternative that is priced well and very light is the TWM cap @fallenarch and @mabupa and I run . Pretty straight forward to use , just got to watch where you put the cap itself down , while you fill .
Reckon you can get it cheaper if you have a good look around .

A good alternative that is priced well and very light is the TWM cap @fallenarch and @mabupa and I run . Pretty straight forward to use , just got to watch where you put the cap itself down , while you fill .
The interesting thing is that, the arashi @c10 just posted, has the exact same locking mechanism and even the gasket and o-ring are the same color (green) as the TWM. You are right @ROADTOAD1340 on the watching were you place the cap. I got a little routine down by the 3rd or 4th fill up and now my tank bag comes off and goes on the passenger seat and remove the cap and put it on top of the tank bag, so it can’t just “slide” off the seat.

One of my previous bikes had a removeable fuel cap and I really liked getting a bike with a hinged cap for some reason...

I find the hinged cap on the Busa constantly falling closed due to the angle and when fuelling, I get lots of splashing...maybe a trick cap is in the works and I'll just suck up having a separate fuel cap...

Between my banker ( wife ) , and paying wheels off I opted for the Chines clone . A darn good one at that . $39

Thanks for the video. I've been looking for a replacement cap for my 04. The Arashi looks like a well made peice for the price. Only finding a couple for Kaws on eBay. I did find a few on Amazon. $48. free shipping. Does Arashi have a web site? If they do I'm having trouble finding it.

Last edited:
Between my banker ( wife ) , and paying wheels off I opted for the Chines clone . A darn good one at that . $39

Thanks for the video. I've been looking for a replacement cap for my 04. The Arashi looks like a well made peice for the price. Only finding a couple for Kaws on eBay. I did find a few on Amazon. $48. free shipping. Does Arashi have a web site? If they do I'm having trouble finding it.

:)

Thanks c10. I put the work "Arashi" in the search on eBay. Thought for sure they'd have that in their header.

Hi. This made me want to check the weight of the cap that came with my carbon fiber tank. It was 100.4 grams or 3.5857142857oz. I think that is about correct.???

Way light Mike! Sweet :)

Fyi my V3 Cap is on its way to a good home for a tryout in Canada. @Yellow09 aka Bill receiving the light weight addiction ;)
Tip of the day don't drop your cap, and bung up the thread's. Upside-down on the seat works well.

What a lucky guy I am to be the caretaker of the V3.

Before I know it I will be Ti this and Ti that, wallet will be empty but I'll be a happy cat...

I stay on the bike while fuelling so I'll stick the cap in a pocket.

Recieved and installed the Arashi fuel cap on my Busa yesterday. That is a well made peice for the price. Mine was $31.99 and a couple bucks tax. Took only 2 weeks to get here. Pretty fast considering the trip it made. I have a fair amount of arthritis in my hands. This is pretty easy to open and shut. Just about to order one for my Gixxer. Thanks for letting us know about it...

OK... Said that backwards. Installed the cap on my GSXR 1000. And am looking for the same cap to fit my Gen 1 Busa. No luck yet. Still searching. Hope they make one. Anyway, again thanks for letting us know about it.

Reactions: c10
Back