Vortex Sprocket Wearing FAST and uneven! WTF?

San Diego Busa

Registered
Hey Guys

Took my wheel off to replace the tire and noticed my Vortex 46tooth sprocket is wearing quickly, and uneven.

Only has about 5k on it and the chain is tightened to spec and properly lubed.

Any ideas what would cause this? I do ride hard and wheelie often

sprocket.jpg

Thanks

Well, I checked the wheel alignment with calipers, not just the notches and the bike/chain only have a total of 6k on them.

Anything else?

Thanks

Aluminum, switch to a steel sprocket. Busa being heavy for one with loads of torque with eat up aluminum sprockets.

Any ideas what would cause this? I do ride hard and wheelie often

Then you should not have gone with an aluminum rear sprocket. This is simply ill-advised on a bike like the Hayabusa, if you truly "ride hard and wheelie often"

A plain 'ol JT or SunStar steel sprocket is considerably less $$$ and will withstand the rigors of the riding style you describe.

Ok thanks guys.

I tried to order a Supersprox instead of this but they were on backorder so I settled.

I'll just go back to stock and wait for the Superprox to be available.

Thanks

is the back side of the sprocket worn in a similar pattern? the only way your going to have that type of side pattern is a chain thats got worn o rings, or an alignment issue causing the chain to drag acrossed the side of the sprocket.

your issue is not because its an aluminum sprocket. an aluminum sprocket will last very long with proper lube and chain adustment intervals.

the people that blame the sprockets are the guys who want to run their chains way to tight and never clean them.

but then again........ i'm no "expert"

I looks like the chain you have been running with that sprocket is worn. It should be riding below where the wear pattern is showing.
Does the chain only have 5K on it?
What chain is it?
Have you checked the service length of the chain? (pulled taunt, 21 pins <12.570")

Sorry, Aluminum just doesn't pass the logic test for any motorcycle. I have a supersprox on my dirt bike and it's already worn. I t came on the bike and the chain was replaced at the same time it was installed. Looks good but just doesnt wear well.

i must be the exception. 270hp turbo street bike with aluminum sprockets, and i'm on my third rear sprocket in 5 years....

1507 nitrous bike 70'' with a slick and a slider and i replace the rear sprocket once a year whether it needs it or not.

i must just get magical sprockets from vortex huh.

I used vortex sprockets twice, both were the front sprockets. New chain used each time and I clean my chain ever 500 miles because I commute with me bike 7 days a week. The most I got out of them was about 6-7k miles on them.

i must be the exception. 270hp turbo street bike with aluminum sprockets, and i'm on my third rear sprocket in 5 years....

1507 nitrous bike 70'' with a slick and a slider and i replace the rear sprocket once a year whether it needs it or not.

i must just get magical sprockets from vortex huh.

Comparing a drag bike to a street bike that gets a ton of miles put on it are 2 totally different comparisons when it comes to chain/sprocket wear

You know you are trading wear (steel) for weight/looks (aluminum); just have to be aware and be ready to replace the blingy one more often. It's why I just went with steel (thanks TwoBrothersBusa for the advice!) on the new sprockets on my trackbike.

Sorry, Aluminum just doesn't pass the logic test for any motorcycle. I have a supersprox on my dirt bike and it's already worn. I t came on the bike and the chain was replaced at the same time it was installed. Looks good but just doesnt wear well.

Sorry, I meant to say Vortex. I will probably replace with a supersprox or stock steel when it's time.

Easy - aluminum sprocket + 200 HP = :(

Not true at all!!!!! Alum sprocket - 230hp, 8.6 @ 160 mph , over 8000 miles looks brand new. Aluminum sprockets work fine on busas. But if you dont take care of chain and such, i guess you better go steel. But dont blame the sprocket.

Comparing a drag bike to a street bike that gets a ton of miles put on it are 2 totally different comparisons when it comes to chain/sprocket wear

And you sell parts ?? Thats funny! Better do some more reading. Like I said above. Aluminum works fine on streetbikes. Now a turbo bike, little different.

Back