Vortex Rear Sprocket Question

Skywalker

Donating Member
Registered
I was detailing my Gen II after riding yesterday. I happened to notice that the 5 bolt in the rear sprocket / hub assembly are all turnable with my fingers. Now, I have had these on there for approx 2.5 years and I doubt each has backed off and I'm sure I followed directed and torque specs. However, I can't find my paperwork and I'm searching the web. Anyone know the torque and there is an allen head deep in the back that runs to the outside of sprocket with the five nuts. I'm thinking I'm good as there is no play with the sproket and I'm betting the do turn on the BST Carbon Wheels ?

I was detailing my Gen II after riding yesterday. I happened to notice that the 5 bolt in the rear sprocket / hub assembly are all turnable with my fingers. Now, I have had these on there for approx 2.5 years and I doubt each has backed off and I'm sure I followed directed and torque specs. However, I can't find my paperwork and I'm searching the web. Anyone know the torque and there is an allen head deep in the back that runs to the outside of sprocket with the five nuts. I'm thinking I'm good as there is no play with the sproket and I'm betting the do turn on the BST Carbon Wheels ?
I do my BST sprocket carrier ti bolts and nuts at stock torque of 60nm / 43.5 ft lb . I have never had any loosen , I use ti nuts with a thread flange lock tab , and when I did run a vortex sprocket , I machined down M10 aluminum washers to bring the deep recess for the nuts out slightly so I can access the nut easier . I t sounds like to me you either used the stock nuts that had worn the lock tabs or an aftermarket nut with no lock measure at all . which should still not have loosened if tightened to stock torque ....you would think .
Here is a pic of my current metal tabbed M10 ti nuts with aluminum washer , on a 530 aluminum sprocket , can't find a pic of older setup running vortex .

Ok guys, thanks for this info. I'm now quite sure that I torqued them with all parts that Brocks sent and I just never remembered being able to turn each of the 5 nuts and bolts. Nice setup you have that Roadtoad. Looks great!

Ok guys, thanks for this info. I'm now quite sure that I torqued them with all parts that Brocks sent and I just never remembered being able to turn each of the 5 nuts and bolts. Nice setup you have that Roadtoad. Looks great!
@Skywalker , I do not think you are supposed to be able to turn the bolts once they are tightened bro , I got 2 sets of BST and both don't turn once tightened .
When I first fit those M10 ti bolts to the carrier , they were a tight snug fit , I had to use CRC to work them in place , and for each carrier . Then torqued up with allen key holding the carrier bolt from turning while I torqued the nut .
I remember the grade 8.8 steel bolts that BST supply with the wheel being real easy to slide into place in carrier in comparison . But once torqued , regardless of bolt type , to spin / turn like that would be scarring the aluminum carrier wouldn't it ?
I was thinking , you racing this bike with BST 's , your track bike is it ? I am wondering if you have somehow hammered the already loose BST supplied bolt tolerance , so it now allows movement sideways , like an elongated locating hole , but sprocket not actually able to move along the bolt length because of nut holding in place , so probably fine still for chain alignment .
You can buy replacement sprocket carriers from Brocks , anyway good luck bro , it has been puzzling me since you first posted this !! :)

Last edited:
That swingarm makes my nips hard.

I do my BST sprocket carrier ti bolts and nuts at stock torque of 60nm / 43.5 ft lb . I have never had any loosen , I use ti nuts with a thread flange lock tab , and when I did run a vortex sprocket , I machined down M10 aluminum washers to bring the deep recess for the nuts out slightly so I can access the nut easier . I t sounds like to me you either used the stock nuts that had worn the lock tabs or an aftermarket nut with no lock measure at all . which should still not have loosened if tightened to stock torque ....you would think .
Here is a pic of my current metal tabbed M10 ti nuts with aluminum washer , on a 530 aluminum sprocket , can't find a pic of older setup running vortex .
View attachment 1598588

Two things.
one
Damn Toad. That is a swing arm and a half!!!
two.
Have you taken the ti bolts out and checked the diameter? looked at the threads for wear? Could they have worn against the sprocket and then worn Just Enough to spin
Hi Johnnie , Skywalker isn't running the ti bolts there , I believe he is running the 8.8 steel bolts , supplied standard with the BST wheel package .
I however , am running ti there , with no detected problems of any description to report , and definitely not rotating after torqued up . Mine are checked fairly regularly up until quite recently , mainly because swapping out sprockets for gearing changes , which obviously requires each bolt and nut to be loosened , and available for examination and replacement if required , and once again re torqued to stock Busa spec. .
If anyone is interested , the cush drive grade 5 ti pins / bolt sets are available from Brocks or any US BST stockist , also Corse Dynamics and I see LighTech now offer a set . I run a set of each of the first 2 mentioned in my BST wheel sets .

@Skywalker , I do not think you are supposed to be able to turn the bolts once they are tightened bro , I got 2 sets of BST and both don't turn once tightened .
When I first fit those M10 ti bolts to the carrier , they were a tight snug fit , I had to use CRC to work them in place , and for each carrier . Then torqued up with allen key holding the carrier bolt from turning while I torqued the nut .
I remember the grade 8.8 steel bolts that BST supply with the wheel being real easy to slide into place in carrier in comparison . But once torqued , regardless of bolt type , to spin / turn like that would be scarring the aluminum carrier wouldn't it ?
I was thinking , you racing this bike with BST 's , your track bike is it ? I am wondering if you have somehow hammered the already loose BST supplied bolt tolerance , so it now allows movement sideways , like an elongated locating hole , but sprocket not actually able to move along the bolt length because of nut holding in place , so probably fine still for chain alignment .
You can buy replacement sprocket carriers from Brocks , anyway good luck bro , it has been puzzling me since you first posted this !! :)View attachment 1598610

View attachment 1598611
Ok, I'm up and had my coffee and going to check all the torque specs on each this morning. I do not race my bike and only have 1200 mile on her. I have had the front end up just once but it has always seemed solid and never felt anything wrong. I appreciate all the inputs and its just one of those things that my memory is bad and when I seen that my first instinct was... they are all backed off. I'll check it all today.

Ok, JPhatt was exactly right as I now remember. They were all backed off and as you all know, that is not right and I just wasn't sure. They are torqued to the specs that Brocks said to use in the factory BST info in above link. I'll now do what we all read right here on the ORG... check my bolts often for issues like these. I appreciate all you peeps on the ORG do for everyone. Hope all had a great weekend. Just finished a cruse in the Terminator and detailed it. Had to burn the old E85 out from Winter storage and ready for a fresh tank. Good to go! Night ORGSTERS!

Ok, JPhatt was exactly right as I now remember. They were all backed off and as you all know, that is not right and I just wasn't sure. They are torqued to the specs that Brocks said to use in the factory BST info in above link. I'll now do what we all read right here on the ORG... check my bolts often for issues like these. I appreciate all you peeps on the ORG do for everyone. Hope all had a great weekend. Just finished a cruse in the Terminator and detailed it. Had to burn the old E85 out from Winter storage and ready for a fresh tank. Good to go! Night ORGSTERS!

Terminator?
As in an 03/04 Cobra??
Pics please!

Six,
one of 515 Mystichrome ever built which means hard tops not counting verts! Just has 14,000 on it. I drove to Montgomery Texas and bought her 31 Dec 2014 and pulled her home arriving on 1 Jan 2015. She is a beautiful ride that I'm so proud of own. 751HP, 682 TQ to the ground. 2.8 KB on E85. IMG_2041.mp4

Terminator?
As in an 03/04 Cobra??
Pics please!

Last edited:
Six,
one of 515 Mystichrome ever built which means hard tops not counting verts! Just has 14,000 on it. I drove to Montgomery Texas and bought her 31 Dec 2014 and pulled her home arriving on 1 Jan 2015. She is a beautiful ride that I'm so proud of own. 751HP, 682 TQ to the ground. 2.8 KB on E85. View attachment 1598664

View attachment 1598665

View attachment 1598666

View attachment 1598667

View attachment 1598668

Wow, amazing car sir!
Thanks for the pics.
And those numbers are a little high for a typical "Terminator" lol...talk about a sleeper, it only makes double stock power(which was impressive enough).
If I ever happen through your neck of the woods, I'de love a ride.

Thanks and no problem. If you are in Colorado Springs... just give me a shout! Those numbers are impressive to me but its not all that as there is so many cagers with 1000 - 2000 HP on the roads. I have only punched her with a Viper and when I was about to go into 3rd he was long gone so I eased on in to 3rd and my son said.. you just lost your first race dad! Ha It was not even close! Who ever has the most money invested usually wins!

Wow, amazing car sir!
Thanks for the pics.
And those numbers are a little high for a typical "Terminator" lol...talk about a sleeper, it only makes double stock power(which was impressive enough).
If I ever happen through your neck of the woods, I'de love a ride.

Thanks and no problem. If you are in Colorado Springs... just give me a shout! Those numbers are impressive to me but its not all that as there is so many cagers with 1000 - 2000 HP on the roads. I have only punched her with a Viper and when I was about to go into 3rd he was long gone so I eased on in to 3rd and my son said.. you just lost your first race dad! Ha It was not even close! Who ever has the most money invested usually wins!

How far is that from Denver?
The plan is being there next summer to visit friends.
I love free rides in fast cars

Back