Vman's "shocking" sunday

vman1300

Never Forgotten
There were some major storms that moved through Western North Carolina on Sunday afternoon. Large hail, high winds and yes lightning.

The wifey and I arrived home from church around 6:30pm to our street with no power. We decided to go eat. While we were eating, I kept trying to call home to see if the answering machine would pick up...no go....

When we got home our neighbor was outside and ran over to tell us that the corner of our house was hit with lightning.

I walked down to survey the damage.........the corner of our home was split open like a sardine can.

Once inside, there was a stench of something burning. I called 911 and 3 minuites later, fire trucks of all sorts are around my house.

After letting the Fire dept in, they checked the wall with thermal cameras(really neat BTW) they found no hot spots.

The insulation was charred black and one of the crew said it was a miracle that the house was still standing. He asked me if I believed in God and I told him yes....and that I had already said a word of thanks for our house still here and not burnt to a crisp.

Now for the damage report....so far.

structural damage-outside and inside, it basically looks like a small stick of dynamite went off inside our walls. Sheetrock blow away from the walls.

Major wiring damage on that side of the house. No power making way to the garage....grrrrrr!

So far, we are blessed with all working appliances.

My desktop and laptop are shot, playstation gone and possible a TV and a surround system.

Cable modem fried and a router. I did borrow a PC from the shop since I work from home alot.

And yes we do have insurance and everything will be covered, less a deductiable.

But with all the damage I am thankful we were not home as we spend alot of time on that end of the house. There is no telling what could have happened......

<!--EDIT|vman1300
Reason for Edit: None given...|1150211444 -->

But with all the damage I am thankful we were not home as we spend alot of time on that end of the house. There is no telling what could have happened......
I second this thought! Sorry for the damage, but glad you and your wife are okay. Let us know if you need anything!

been there...done that......make sure your agent understands clearly that some damage to anything electrical can take a few weeks or longer to manafest itself!

Glad to hear it wasnt worse than what it was!
wow.gif
I hope your house gets repaired quickly!

Glad it was only your home and not you and/or your wife!

There was a story 2 weeks ago here about a woman standing in her kitchen that got struck by lighting. It hit across the street and traveled through the water lines and came up through the floor where she was standing. Knocked her out and out of her shoes. That's just some crazy stuff!

Good grief!
sad.gif

And I'm with BlondeOnaBusa here; thank goodness you and your wife weren't there at the time...

Glad it wasn't worse for you and the wife. Definately had luck and the lord on your side. Motors and capacitors will all absorb some extra, but the ymay start burning out in next few weeks. Tell agent to keep file open!

I'm thinking maybe you should be a bit nicer to Michelle now that we know she has a bigger Zapper
wink.gif

laugh.gif

Wow - Kevin! Glad you're OK!
smile.gif

Oh, like PD sez - watch out for VB - I knew she was plotting something, but dayum!!
wink.gif

Hey Kev, glad to hear you and the missus are ok. As a lineman I know just what high voltage can do. Lightning now is a whole different ballgame.

Michelle, are you working with the military on a secret weapon again? For shame girl. Aim that thing somewhere else.

Dan

wow....

Glad you and the fam are alright, Vmann. Hope that everything with the house turns out ok, too.

Thanks for all the kind words guys and gals.

Now I know it wasant lightning it was Va's zapper.......

Update:

We have power to 90% of the house and the rest should be online tomorrow. I got the internet working, just in case Michelle could not figure that out.

The structural should be fixed early next week, but who cares, I am going to the Gap!

*UPDATE*

Using computer generated mapping to determine the angle of the strike, they have concluded, the origin is some where in Virginia.........

*UPDATE*

Using computer generated mapping to determine the angle of the strike, they have concluded, the origin is some where in Virginia.........
I KNEW IT. Maybe we are all lucky and she was aiming at the pole we have installed in the corner! We'd have all been "grounded"...

*News flash*
There has been a terrible electrical accident at an undisclosed corner location in a forum at the H.Org. The only information we have now is that there are a group of babbling idiots running around with fried $1.00 bills and singed fingers. There is also an unconfirmed report of burnt ceasar stlye chicken planks and boiling fresca. More later...

<!--EDIT|PDBusa
Reason for Edit: "pole lounger"|1150400823 -->

Back