vinyl removal

KanjiBusa

Seizures Suck!
Donating Member
Registered
I know this has been discussed before on just removing them, but i cant find it, how do you remove the vinyls from the bike. i want to get it ready for paint but do not know the quickest way to get them off. thank you

heat gun or hair dryer.

Do not get it to hot.just enough to peel. Several products to remove adhesive. I use rubbing alcohol.

runeight...

once you have them off try Goo Gone to remove the adhesive
beerchug.gif

you may have to wax the spot after you remove the glue.

Has anyone, pulled the decals off of an 05 tank?

It seems like they are cleared over
rock.gif

(heavybusa @ Dec. 06 2006,17:01) you may have to wax the spot after you remove the glue.

Has anyone, pulled the decals off of an 05 tank?

It seems like they are cleared over
rock.gif
Mine definately are cleard over
pissed.gif

I'd be real careful using anything with GOO in the name. At least try it in a hidden area first.

I picked some stuff up at Wally World called Goof Off. Same claims as all the other stuff on the market for taking off decals. I found it does a killer job at removing old dried up latex paint from door trim and baseboards. It also claimed to take off marker and crayon easily.

I have an ancient Amstrad laptop computer from the early 80's I was going to sell on ebay. Thing was in great shape and worth a few $$$ for its collector value. Only problem was someone wrote a big $2.50 on it in black marker. Goof Off removed that marker no problem and left a nice clean spot so I wiped down the whole case to even things out. A few minutes later the plastic turned to mush! You could push your fingers right into it and leave dents. It left the plastic housing cratered and sticky. It's now worthless and will probably head to the landfill.

For sticky residue WD40 is the ultimate and it doesn't harm anything.

If you're going to re-paint right away you shouldn't have any real worries about causing scratches, overheating, etc. should you?

Aren't you going to ave to sand and prime before painting anyway?

yes, i have to sand off the clear coat to apply the primer, and the tank i will have to sand blast, since yes the vinyls are clear coated on, i am thinking though about clear coating over the new vinyls that thundercustoms made me

Here's my .02,

I used heat to remove vinyl, as it peels right up. I then used a plastic scraper with a nice square edge to scrape the adhesive using a nice continuous coating of 409. As each small layer of adhesive gets scraped off, the 409 suspends the shaved adhesive and creates a nice slippery surface for the plastic scraper. You can actually get pretty tough with the scraper, providing you use plenty of 409. The end result is a no-scratch finished surface. Clean off the 409 residue, surface area, with a nice mild paint thinner or mineral spirits, and it's a done deal.
super.gif
Apply wax and call it a day.

Just thought I'd throw this on with an afterthought:

If you are applying a new vinyl decal, make sure the surface has been cleaned of any and all 409 residue. I just ordered a replacement "replacement" as I didn't clean the surface of the leftover 409, and after trying to reposition the new decal, stretched it just enough that it doesn't want to play anymore........
bowdown.gif
"Hello Mr. Cycles
rock.gif
?".

Not sure about the side fairing decals, but on the tank stickers you can use the lighter fluid that comes in the plastic yellow bottle to remove the sticky stuff. You can find it at most any drug or grocery store. The lighter fluid removes the sticky stuff almost instantly and will not harm the paint. Just put some on a clean rag and gently wipe. I've been using this stuff for years on everything that had a sticky residue and it's never failed yet to clean the mess up.

And yes - I used it to remove the "aftermath" of my tank sticker. Took all of 2 minutes if that. Far less time to remove the goo than it took to get the sticker off, that's for sure!

Back