VIN Check

TheWheelman

Registered
Hello all, i am a new member, and not yet an owner of the bike of my dreams, however i have one in my sights, but i need to verify some information about the bike, as i dont want to get scammed. If someone could tell me how to check the VIN and verify that the bike exists (not local) etc etc, that would be great, I have the VIN in hand, i just need to know how to check it out. thanks
-WHEELMAN

<!--EDIT|TheWheelman
Reason for Edit: None given...|1126146073 -->

I think someone said before that you can do it through Carfax, but I can't remember for sure.

Only other way I can think is to call the local DMV where it's registered.

Hey Wheelman, for real, call the County Sheriff's Dept for the county where the bike is registered, assumedly from where you are buying, during regular working hours, generally 7:30 AM to 4:30 PM and tell them you are looking into buying a bike from a "Mr/Mrs. so and so" and you just want to make sure the VIN doesn't match up with any bikes reported stolen. They might be grumpy about running it for you, but that's all public info, they can't tell ya' it's confidential, that they can't disclose that info, et cetera...well, actually, that might vary by State law, but I really don't think so. Then, having established that your prospective seller isn't a felon/completely retarded and trying unload a hot item with an unaltered VIN/hx, you can go to www.kellybluebook.com and there will be a service on there for a damage history, et cetera...that is a pay service also, but well worth the few bucks. Also, you can have your potential seller disclose to you who their insurance company is, and you can check if a claim has ever been filed. If your potential seller is not willing to do that, I would run...Believe me, I was recently screwed by a group of guys I really trusted. Trust fuggin no one and do the little bit of leg work, especially for the amount of money you'll be investing in an item that might require alot more to repair and so forth.

J

<!--EDIT|Busa_05
Reason for Edit: None given...|1126154493 -->

Or if you have any friends at a dealership...they can check the vin for you there...They always do that stuff on trade in's and stuff

Try www.DMV.org look for the vin search I just did a search and they have that posted under free motorcycle vin number search hope that helps but their are several that do it just run the search your insurance co. prolly can do it as well if not easier

Ok update: i was able to decode the VIN number, and it checks out as the model it should be 2004 Hayabusa GSX1300R. so that is partially reassuring, but i still want verification of the registration and owner blah blah, so i try the california DMV, where its registered, and get no where very slowly. so i try the state police out there, and i get some total biatch who says they cant check the VIN of a vehicle because of a stalker law that was implemented in the 1980s, im just like what the heck, im trying to buy the bike, not kill the guy, have some common sense. i also tried my insurance company all they could do is decode the VIN just like i did, they called back with the information i already had. I do have a friend at a local dealer here, i will try him when he is on shift, but he wasnt there today, i hope he can get me some decent info....

-WHEELMAN

I tried carfax, but they give you no information whatsoever until you give them their lousy 19 99, there has to be a free way to check into this
anyone?

-WHEELMAN
Yes...ask the person selling to provide you with a Carfax report....Some people who want to convince buyers that they have a good deal will give you a carfax report on the vehicle for free, before you buy it.

Good way to check for accident history etc.

so i try the state police out there, and i get some total biatch who says they cant check the VIN of a vehicle because of a stalker law that was implemented in the 1980s, im just like what the heck, im trying to buy the bike, not kill the guy, have some common sense.  
Bullsh!t.

Good luck with your hunt for info, bro.

some one posted a link to an online VIN checker to see if its been reported stolen or not. Dont have a link handy but its on the site here somewhere
cool.gif

so i called the local DMV, because they have access to databases and all that blah blah right, I tell the lady i am trying to verify information on the VIN of a bike that i am contemplating purchasing, and she is like OK we can do that, so Im like YES!! finally, but then she says she has to take the VIN off of the bike in person, im like ARE YOU KIDDING ME, i dont own it yet.... so next i try the county sheriff and the lady is super nice and says well i cant do it but the state police will do a VIN check for you, so i call teh state pigs and the lady is like yeah, we can do it to check to see if it is stolen or whatever, just bring it in... lets think people, if the bike was stolen, and i am trying to buy it, would i really be able to bring it in, i dont think so, maybe im livin on the wrong freakin planet though...

-WHEELMAN

call the local police and ask them to check it for you
rock.gif

I dont know beyond that, seems folks could at least say yeah its hot or no its not over the phone
rock.gif

rock.gif

Back