Videos Of What Not To Do

Jbaby1969

Registered
As a newer rider than probably 99% of you, It would be nice to have a thread started that has videos of people screwing up while riding and paying the price for it. There are thousands of crash compilation videos on YouTube I can watch but without an explanation on what the rider did wrong, they are kind of useless. The comments are usually full of people whose cousins boyfriend owned a bike in high school so that makes them qualified to comment. I would rather have good information from you all. Any thoughts?

To simplify the whole concept of counter steering remember this
To go right push right
To go left push left
And with regards to target fixation
You will indeed go where you look almost all the time
One last thing Chances are very good the bike will safely turn more tightly than you think it is if you need to avoid something.

Ride like everyone is out to run you over and every road is covered in pea gravel...I never get "jiggy with it" on any road I don't know and even then I watch the road closely as things change quickly.

Biggest improvement bang for the buck is a rider improvement course. There are verisus kinds from Better than average new rider/ to Racing licence aquisition.
The best part they have experts there who will coach you and tell you how to improve your riding skills. Braking and cornering are usually covered in great detail

It is hard to learn from videos because to much happens and unlike this one you added very little is explained
Keith Code has some excellent books called Twist of the Wrist (and there are many others)

They can be a bit complex but if you read them slowly and practise what Keith says by going for a ride after very chapter you can learn quite a bit
one last thing
as you can see the bike in the video was drifting a bit to the outside but was a VERY LONG way from crashing. Had the rider pushed on the right hand bar the bike would have tightened up in that turn and avoided the truck. The rider panicked Did not push right to go right looked at the truck and crossed the line
Most of us have done soothing similar. gotten into a turn a bit over our head and panicked in our early days
The difference is while we may have crossed the line there wan no truck
no harm no foul but it was Good luck not good riding that prevented injury or death

Last edited:
Back