videos from work. gear swings

JIM thanks,now that was very interesting,its amazing how something that large can get off the ground,and without the help of three eighty ton jacks:laugh:

Yeah it still amazes me every time I watch them take off. I guess now more then ever because now I know how much this thing weigh. :lol:

Our 777s weigh just over 308,000 pounds and that is completely empt. Add people, fuel and cargo to that and WOW.

1800 hour hot section inspection of Pratt & Whittney PT6-60A.

20-Jan.12 Kaf 062.jpg

20-Jan.12 Kaf 064.jpg

20-Jan.12 Kaf 063.jpg

I'm an amateur physics geek and every time I get to watch a plane take off it simply amazes me. Just a simple pressure differential, caused simply by the plane moving forward, powered by an engine that compresses air by blowing it through an orifice alone then ignites it which spins the compressor wheels in the first place. Absolutely amazing.

And all finally figured out, save the turbine engine, by a couple of guys that fixed bicycles for a living. If anyone hasn't done it look into the history of the Wright flyer. They figured out the wings overcoming problems that had plagued other inventors, figured out that a propeller can't just be a fan blade but shaping it like a wing actually generated lift instead of just pushing backwards and achieved 82% efficiency when modern wood props are at 85%. With Charlie Taylor they designed, cast, machined and built their own engine because every other engine was too heavy and didn't make enough power. Oh and the engine was put on paper to running in six(!) weeks.

There also were several others that were going for the first powered flight at the same time. Very interesting to see the approaches others were taking. The Wrights were textbook KISS. Some of the others, well weren't.

To bad they weren't around to see what they did. :bowdown:

Canadian AME here, currently working for the federal flight research laboratory.

We have an eclectic fleet of old and new, being slightly mad, I prefer the old. :laugh:

Our T-33 split to replace a combustion can on the Rolls Royce Nene 10 engine:

Posing with my favourite oldie, our Harvard Mk.IV:

aviateur.gif

Canadian AME here, currently working for the federal flight research laboratory.

We have an eclectic fleet of old and new, being slightly mad, I prefer the old. :laugh:

Our T-33 split to replace a combustion can on the Rolls Royce Nene 10 engine:

Posing with my favourite oldie, our Harvard Mk.IV:

very nice. I like the Harvard. :thumbsup:

Back