Video security experts, need your help

IG.

Registered
Looking to setup a simple (i.e. cheap) webcam at my PC which will only record video when motion is detected, i.e. the video capturing software analyzes the video coming from the camera and records it only if there is a movement. Running date/time should be shown on the screen. Also, it should be reasonably small, so I can hide the whole webcam within like a small box, or something unconspicious.

I've had someone going through my desk at work, and want to nail them. So, when I leave I would turn this ON, and when I come back, I would be able to view only those times when someone was at my desk.

Looked online, but didn't find a quick solution. I learned that Creative makes such webcams, but I feel it's more a software which would probably work with any webcam.

Don't want to spend more than $30 - $50 on that.

I dont know your work situation but you may wanna go over this idea with your boss first... my best friend did this at the garage he was working at when tools were winding up missing almost daily... well long story short he caught the new guy "borrowing" tools and went to the boss with the video... needless to say the boss was pissed off at him for taping stuff in the shop without permission... so he then went to court... and believe it or not the judge said he was in the wrong taping illegally in someone elses business without their permission.... now if your looking to do it just for your own knowledge tape away without asking but if your planning on doing something about it you might wanna go over the idea with your boss... unless you are the boss then tape tape tape away lol

Last edited:
Well, I sit in a cubicle - that's the office environment, and the camera would show only my cubicle. I probably would ask HR first.

So, any technical suggestions?

Motion detection is kinda hit and miss sometimes. I'd just buy and external hard drive or what ever and roll tape then when something comes up missing review.

My brother in law owns a security camera business ill ask him if I can remember next time I see him.
Posted via Mobile Device

I have a "logitek" setup that works really pretty well (have never got the audio to work).. it senses motion and records for a set period to a hard drive.. if the room has a window, it will pick up clouds or other things that might make the room go dim for a moment.. Was most interesting to find who was snooping my desk when I was not around... :laugh:

Well, I sit in a cubicle - that's the office environment, and the camera would show only my cubicle. I probably would ask HR first.

So, any technical suggestions?

If is just your cubicle you are good to go, but DO NOT record sound since that is the illegal part.
There are many webcams that comes with the "motion activated" option, just make sure you have enough space in your hard drive, or bring your own external hard drive. Set it up to record and lock the computer, dont log off.

There are many hidden camera applications but it'll definitely cost you more than $50....:whistle:

would be easier to put your go pro somewhere and leave the computer alone....set it to take a photo every 5 seconds

:laugh:

thegag_2069_94274120.jpg

Back