Victory vs Harley

As someone who's currently shopping the touring bike market, I thank you for posting this. :thumbsup:

As someone who's currently shopping the touring bike market, I thank you for posting this. :thumbsup:

I thought you had already chosen a Goldwing? Am I thinking of someone else.

Nothing against Victory owners,but I keep thinking that company will go teet's up one day. I am personally done with Harleys. There are alot of touring options to choose from these days,but I'd go for the wing.

Rubb.

I thought you had already chosen a Goldwing? Am I thinking of someone else.

Nothing against Victory owners,but I keep thinking that company will go teet's up one day. I am personally done with Harleys. There are alot of touring options to choose from these days,but I'd go for the wing.

Rubb.

Nothing is a done deal either way at this point. I'm going to wait for the deals this fall, and maybe do something then. Maybe not, but I'm doing a good bit of research just in case.

i have riden a vision and dig the batmobile. big floorboards are awesome. they seem to me a little better mechine than the Harley.
hard to beat a goldwing though. havent ridden a 1800, but i wore out a couple 1100's; i can only immagine that they just got better. the factory farkels sure are neato freato. :thumbs:

ya gotta have some "Want To" to tour on a Busa. :moon:

I own a 2004 Victory Kingpin. Perfect for the lazy days when the turbo busa needs a break. I rode the Kingpin to the top of Pikes Peak, CO...MO,AR,TX,OK,NE,NM and , of course, all over KS where I live. It's been a darn good bike.

The thing is the average consumer buys on marketing effort, not technical details. If folks bought for technical specifications, no one would buy either a Harley or a Victory.

It's the same with Amsoil, everyone thinks it is great due to their advertising, reporting comparison tests with other oils and of course coming out right on top.

Just saying, but in the gear drive to chain drive comparison, there are other considerations. The reason almost no one uses gear drives to drive valve train, is due to vibration and the following harmonics which would damage valve train. So in Harley's case, the chain drive is not for valve train, but it will dampen vibration and be slightly more efficient than using a set of three gears.

The thing is the average consumer buys on marketing effort, not technical details. If folks bought for technical specifications, no one would buy either a Harley or a Victory.

It's the same with Amsoil, everyone thinks it is great due to their advertising, reporting comparison tests with other oils and of course coming out right on top.

The thing is the average consumer buys on marketing effort, not technical details. Sad,but true. I also believe the economy plays a role aswell. If Harley is offering low/no interest for 7 years,and the Honda dealership across the street cant match that...then a Harley gets sold.

I just think that its time for air cooled bikes to die. That technology is so antiquated. Placing one cylinder behind the other? How is the rear cylinder supposed to stay in the same temp range as the front. Richer mixture? Helps a tiny bit. Shutting that cylinder down a idle speed? Might help a bit,but its still metal on metal moving parts. All the rear jug gets is the hot air that just past over the front jug. The horsepower to weight ratio is a joke aswell.Putting a 65 HP motor in a bike that weighs like 900 pounds.:cookoo:

Jelly is so spot on here. Harley tried different approaches...but the "tried and true" Hog owners wouldn't go for it.

I fail to realize why the old biker regime just wont allow even the tinyiest of radiators to be hidden somewhere.:pullhair:

Is Rubb now a Harley Hater? Yes. I feel thru mine own stupity I was ripped off. In my little corner of the world a used Goldwing with 100,000 miles can sell quite easily...a Harley with 50,000 miles wont even get looked at. Why? Because people(even harley people) feel its motor life is over. :banghead:

Do they even make air-cooled dirt bikes anymore? My last toy for the dirt was water cooled.You could idle it all day. You could pin it all day from a stand still.Sure trials bikes are purpose built,but if you can tuck a radiator into a bike that weighs 145 pounds,why cant you hide one a bike that weighs 900 pounds.???

:rant:

Peace to the harley folks. No disrespect aimed at you personally. I was a Hot Rod Harley/Bagger guy for years.

Now...I wouldn't walk across the street to pi55 on one if it were on fire. :laugh:

RSD.

300_raga.jpg

Before I bought my Victory I looked at Hardley Ablesons. I just couldn't see myself dressing up like a pirate to ride one.

LOL I enjoy my Harley, but every time I take wifey with she says she is just waiting for the thing to explode due to the vibration.

I can see a RT1200 in my future.

Back