Vibration help...

MeltDownZ

Registered
I recently put on heli bars and did a thorough bike/chain cleaning/lubing. These activities may not be related but since thin, I have a nasty vibration that I'm having trouble finding. It's not the visor as I have that thing tight as a drum with friction tape. This is more like a high-rpm buzz like if you sat a thin piece of metal on a vibrating surface. Seems like it's coming from the left front lower part of the bike. If I just have the bike sitting at neutral and rev it, no buzz. Any suggestions on how to isolate this sucker? It only seems to occur at 3,500-4,300 rpms while driving, not while in neutral.

I vibrate and buzz all the time
tounge.gif
With all the plastic, these bikes make plenty of noise, but maybe your talking about an extra loud vibration/buzz??

Your talking a buzz you can hear or a vibe u feel like in the frame or in the tank with your knee's
rock.gif
?

All the Busa's seem to have a vibe around the 4k mark, its just a harmonic. many people have mentioned it. Might be you've just noticed it.

Cheers
Ross

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

smile.gif

smile.gif

smile.gif

smile.gif

All the Busa's seem to have a vibe around the 4k mark, its just a harmonic. many people have mentioned it. Might be you've just noticed it.

Cheers
Ross

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
No. I'm pretty aware of the bikes noises. This is more like a 'somthin's a little loose' buzz. It's new for sure.

I'm looking for a device or something that can be used to help id the location or source of the buzz.

smile.gif

smile.gif

smile.gif

smile.gif

Have you tried securing it on a stand, putting it in gear and running the rpms up a little? If that works, you should be able to put your hand on the bike and track it down. Have someone help make sure that the bike does not come off of the stand while you search.

<!--EDIT|mctrull
Reason for Edit: None given...|1090949193 -->

Have you tried securing it on a stand, putting it in gear and running the rpms up a little? If that works, you should be able to put your hand on the bike and track it down. Have someone help make sure that the bike does not come off of the stand while you search.
This usually works for noises that you can't locate while riding. Also if the noise isn't duplicated while on the stand then check your brakes on the front and sometimes your rotors can cause the pads to vibrate. If it's not your pads try clocking your rotors.
Check all attach points on the front. Ex; brake line mounts.
Just some feedback, good luck.

You could also ride at a speed where it is obvious, pull in the clutch and let the revs die, you will then know if it is engine/trans related or is caused by wheels, brakes chain etc

Could it be the switch assemblie on the left side (high/low switch & high idle cable) weren't tightened enough? You shouldn't be able to see a gap where the upper and lower half meet. Maybe the high idle (choke) cable became detached when the original bars were removed?
rock.gif

Hey everyone, thanks for the tips. Following a number of your suggestions I found it. I noticed that pulling in the clutch when driving made the buzz go away - even with the engine reving. So, essentially, the buzz was only occuring when the engine was under a load. Then, I popped it up on a rear stand and started it up. No buss until I put it in gear. I was able to detect that it was coming from the front sprocket area. Then I noticed that the new chain had about 3/4" too much play and the guy at the shop never tightened the torque bar bolts. After adjusting the chain and tightening everything up, the buzz from the front sprocket was more consistant rather than dependant on a load. It occured to me that the dealer had recommended some spray chain lube when I got my new chain (although I believe the dealer used white lithium grease when he installed the chain.) So, with the bike in gear and on a rear stand, I started pouring on some good old heavy motor oil. The buzz cleared up 90% immediately. Now, I just hope the cleaner/lube that the dealer recommended hasn't messed up the chain o-rings. I'm hoping white lithium grease will make the chain/sprocket set as quite as it was when I first got it last month.

Thanks for the tips everyone!

Back