VHT Nite-shades How do?

GNBRETT

Registered
Can someone please walk me thru painting turn signal lens with VHT night-shades. I tried watchn a video on utube and it still came out like chit!:banghead:

dont remember exactly. but I followed all the steps in the video I watched and it just came out poor. must hav screwed up along the way somehow.

I have a buddy that did this for a couple headlights and tail lights on cars. Will ask him tomorrow and let you know what he says

I used it and several other brands.. Weather has a big impact on how it turns out sometimes..the more u put on the dark it will be...plus it all needs to be cleaned really well if not u get where the stuff dont want to stick ..use nice even coats ..the best was i found is to spray a really thin i mean thin coat first and let it dry good then u can see where the bad spots are going to be..then when u get a good looking thin coat thats dry then your pretty much set to darken it up much as u like too..the darker u go the easier it is to get a consistent shade..its really hard to get a lite smoke color thats consistent..

Ok I have done this a couple times and have been very happy with the results of the job. This is how I've done it. First thing I always do is sand the lens down with1000 grit or finer sandpaper depending on the condition of the lens. This ensures any imperfections and defects and any other crap that's on the lens to be removed. Once this is all done your lens will be scratched all up and you should not be able to see into it or it should have a cloudy finish. Depending on what grit I start with I usually end up going over at last with 2500 or 3000 grit. Once the sanding is done, clean the lens thoroughly. Next I buff out the lens. I'll use a rougher compound and go over the lens a couple times and then I'll progress to a fine polishing compound. Once I am done the lens should look brand new perfectly clean and perfectly crystal clear. This is where it gets crucial. Clean all the compound and everything else off the lens very thoroughly. When thats done I'll use a degreaser/wax remover to wipe off the lens extremely well. Now because I'm a painter and have this stuff laying around it's easy for me to come by, although it's not hard to find a any auto store. This is where the spraying begins. The VhS tint goes on dark as a warning. Within 3 coats the lens will be extremely dark and hard to see through unless you have a very bright light bulb. Apply the first coat very thin and as evenly as possible. The spray will actually dry fairly quick but it will not be too it's completed darkness right away it will darken more. I learned tje hard way. I usually let each coat sit at least a half an hour or more before applying the next coat. That usually gives me a good idea how dark the lens will be at this point. Then from here on out it is usually apply another coat letting it sit for at least a half an hour between each coat until you get your desired darkness. Once desire darkness is achieve let it dry and completely set up before messing around with it. Now depending on what look you want the VHT tint is actually a matte black finish or a flat black finish. If you want a gloss finish there is are additional steps, if you want the matte or flat finish you are done. For the gloss finish what I usually do is after you apply your last coat of tint and let it sit for a half an hour I will then apply a clear coat over the black to the desired gloss finish and let fully dry. Only, and only if you use a clear go finish, from this point if there's any imperfections or dirt or anything that got into the paint you can sand and buff again to get out the imperfections. That's about it your lenses are now done. The crucial thing here in all of this is making sure that lenses absolutely clean of any oils, wax, grease, solvents...etc. of any kind to make sure that the VHT tint sticks to the lens. If it is not you will have fish eye, peeling, and cracking up in the finish of the lens and it will not turn out very good. I hope this helps.

i use automotive paint. ive done lots of lens. vht is ok from a distance but up close itll never look great. just ok. i dont even like the black aftermarket lens as they look cheap. this is the best way to do it. costs a little more but worth it and will last.

556329_4255487840047_1521552761_n_zps391a6ced.jpg
480105_472629619464024_313970672_n_zps59cc1ef1.jpg

hmmmmm.... ok. I will giv that a shot. thanx. I think im not prepping it correctly or allowing it to dry properly b4 applying another coat. maybe I will give the auto paint a shot cause that came out great.

Gnbrett, camo busa is my buddy I said I would ask. I have seen the ones he has done and they all look great. I know when I do mine I am giving them to him because I will screw it up one way or another :laugh:

Gnbrett, camo busa is my buddy I said I would ask. I have seen the ones he has done and they all look great. I know when I do mine I am giving them to him because I will screw it up one way or another :laugh:
im gonna give it one more shot then if i screw it up again ill just hav to bring them to a paint shop or mail them out to someone who actually knows wat their doin.:laugh:

automotive paint is the only way to go. you can use a black candy over a red candy on the brake light and give it a deeper look. and it will be far more visible than vht. they make some "tint" from japan on ebay, that i seen turn out pretty well. but after seeing the kandy lights i will never use on rattle can tint crap.

i mix a black clear coat. i tried doing overreduced black basecoat but it was blotchy just like a rattle can would be. with only using a black clearcoat it looks like the lens is molded in black but a deep dark look. not the cheap look a aftermarket black lens kit would be like.

yes but it dont take much. add some and check the stir stick. add more if u feel its too light. u can add extra coats to darken if needed.

Cool, thanks! I have always just used 2-4 coats of Nite shades and then covered it with a good poly clear. I will experiment with this a little and see what I end up with:thumbsup:

Back