Veterans Day 2008: A mention of thanks to all our Armed Forces

pashnit

Donating Member
Site Sponsor
Registered
Today is Veterans Day.

Wanted to take a moment to just say thanks to all our Armed Forces serving. There are many who are serving, and many who have served. I'm curious if any of you would be willing to share with us about your experience in the service or possibly what role you held.

I never did anything too exciting, just one of many. My time was during a peroid of relative quiet as I joined the Marine Corps in Dec '91 only months after the 1st Gulf War ended. It was an overnight decision and just 10 days later, I was standing on the yellow footprints saying What the FCK was I thinking? :laugh: Many of my fellow marines were combat veterans, and 3 of my 5 drill instructions fought in combat in the gulf back then.

I eventually became a mechanic and just worked on trucks. Hummers, 5-tons, big dragon wagons. The latter part of my 6x2 yr contract was spent as a driving instructor teaching Marines how to drive the big 5-Tons & also the Humvee's. That was a fun job.

One of my oddest memories of that time was during a month of Combat Training, we were instructed that we had to keep our M16A2 rifle on us 24hrs a day and it never left your person. Even at night, we had to sleep with it. So there I was in my sleeping bag, snoozin' away on the ground in my little shelter-half, just me cozied up to that rifle all night long. :laugh:

My contract ended in '99 finally and I was asked to re-enlist but opted not to as I was engaged and starting a family. It was prophetic decision as just 24 months later, the world changed, and I would have surely been sent off to fight this war had I reenlisted. To all of our fellow armed forces past and present, we thank you.

Semper Fi :bowdown:

Wikipedia Veterans Day

MarineM60_400.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to all! :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Now can an admin fix the year in the title? I'm not ready for 09' yet! :laugh:

To all those who have served or are serving. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for everything you have done to make this the best place on earth to live.

Semper Fidelis- yes to the Army, Navy, Air Force and Coast Guard folks. It may be our motto, but it is also held true by you the other services.

Thank you again from me and my family.

Went in the Corps in 86' and got out in 92'. I also was a Grease Monkey. Thing that puzzles me, Everyone but most Vet's have the day off....
I Owe, I Owe, Off to work I go...

thanks to all vets
currently 22 years active in United States Air Force/MSgt
C130 crew dog, so I've seen just about every campaign
Proud to serve :thumbsup:

:beerchug::thumbsup::bowdown:Thank you all who serve and have served, we love you all...:bowdown:

I served on a submarine, USS SHARK (SSN-591), for my first three years in the Navy. After that, I served on an Admiral's personal staff (as his "Writer") for three years.

The places I went, the things I saw...well; I could go on for days.

Most noteable items:

Met the Sultan of Brunei (State Function)
Met (the late) President Zia ul Haq (State Function)
Circumnavigated the globe
Ice Surface at the North Pole​

Fair winds and following seas...

To all my brothers and sisters who served...thank you, too; to all who haven't served but have enjoyed our basest luxury, freedom: You're welcome!

:beerchug:

USAF from 94-02...
My fondest memory was the time spent on the Kelly AFB Honor Guard. Lots of hot days spent at Ft.Sam Houston and elsewhere in South Texas rendering honors to deceased Veterans. Lots of folded flags. Lots of Colorguards. Lots of "21 Gun Salutes"

My thanks to all, past and present...I do this because I want to, not because I have to...:beerchug:

Google got it right...USAF Captain...hey, that's me...:thumbsup:

v08.gif

US Navy from 99-2007. Not as eventful as Scar's! Holy crap man, I envy you now :moon:

Saw many places. Lost some good people. Glad I did it.

Thanks to those past and present. :thumbsup:

Back