Very upsetting day.

07busa07

Registered
So I'm stretched about 10.5 bought new master link have a 150 link chain only removed 2 links when I originally installed my extensions and new chain last year. Tire rubbed through the tail light so I thought today would be a good day to remove a couple links and not be as far back as I am. Start my work on the bike. Well I remove 5 links (7 total links off a 150 link chain) and now the chain is too short and I'm not riding for a cpl weeks. Either buy a new chain or buy new links (I have 9-12" links) which will allow me to pull the tire (so get 6-9" links). Very depressing day and very angry at what happen. :banghead::banghead:

Buy another master link. The chain will be fine with two riveted master links in it.

My gf asked why I couldn't just put a cpl links back in from what I took out but I don't feel comfortable running 2 master links 3 links apart. These bikes put enough power out stock and (granted I'm not turboed or putting out craaazy power) I'm putting out 186 ponies for what I have just very sketched about 2 master links that close together. More of a comfort feeling.

You will have zero issues with a riveted link.

Your far more likely to have issues with your bolt on extensions than a riveted master link.

As far as bolt on links I hear ya but (knock on wood no issues in the last 4 years with 2 differ bikes) but 2 master links that close (I have the right tools to rivet them as I did today with the one I installed) but 2 of em that close together.

Wow! If you're upset over that I should show you pics of my bike after my little spill two weeks ago. Just can't bring myself to take them. Point is it could be way worse. Listen to the advice you've been given, chill and put that other link in. :exclamation:

I dont know if i would run a stretched with two master links.. a buddy did this on his gsxr1000 and the chain broke at one of them taking out the left side of his motor.. maybe a short term thing with new chain ordered would be ok... just my opinion..

Wow! If you're upset over that I should show you pics of my bike after my little spill two weeks ago. Just can't bring myself to take them. Point is it could be way worse. Listen to the advice you've been given, chill and put that other link in. :exclamation:

I hear ya. I am sorry to hear about what happen to u as I read it cpl weeks ago and def glad ur ok. But yea def frustrating when I realized I was out of room hahaha. As always everything could be way worse and I appreciate everyone's input.

I dont know if i would run a stretched with two master links.. a buddy did this on his gsxr1000 and the chain broke at one of them taking out the left side of his motor.. maybe a short term thing with new chain ordered would be ok... just my opinion..

That may have happened but it didn't because of two "correct" riveted master links that were "properly installed".

A cheap POS chain, a chain worn beyound limits, the wrong extra links or master links. There is more going on here.

That may have happened but it didn't because of two "correct" riveted master links that were "properly installed".

A cheap POS chain, a chain worn beyound limits, the wrong extra links or master links. There is more going on here.

I've been wondering that myself. I have a zzz that I had a good shop rivet because I've never done one. And been looking at swing arms but holding back because of the chain. Only about 2000 miles on the new set up.

It was not correctly riveted! A chain could be built out of master links and never come apart if correctly done, doesn't matter if there is one master in a chain or ten...:deadhorse:

I'm out...

Back