Very intermittent Temp gauge + Check

danballa

Registered
05 Busa, 62k miles, PC3 is only performance type mod.

So, I was out riding this morning, and all was well. Stopped for gas, met up with some other riders, and then we left. 10 minutes later, my temp gauge spikes to max (the actual light didn't come on) and the clock changed to "Check" started pulling over, and the Check went away, and the gauge read normal. The gauge didn't go down slowly, but very rapidly (split second). I pulled off from the group, waved them on, and started home. It did this another 10 or so times, over the next 30ish minutes. (No funny smells/sounds that I could tell) It did this at all speeds, accelerating, and decelerating. It is extremely intermittent, I can't reproduce it, and the last 45 minutes, it didn't do it any. The overheating Light never came on, and as cool as it was, going 70 down the freeway, it wasn't overheating, even though the gauge briefly said it was.

I'm at a loss. I have a trip coming up in under a week, so any advice would be great. Worst case, and I can't figure it out, since it isn't actually overheating, is it safe to ride like this on my trip? Or is a sensor? about to go out on me, and leave me stranded?

Thanks

Coolant level is normal. I'm not leaking, or losing any coolant, and it doesn't bubble up. It just randomly reads hot (without the overheating light coming on) then in a split second, drops back to normal temp.

I have a new thermostat ordered, but not sure that's the actual problem.

Did you check the level in the radiator also?
Or just the over flow bottle? A bad radiator
cap could cause the level to be low.

This happens every time on my bike, it is meaningless ( I have a 1999). All I have to do is go for a ride and then turn ignition on and off rapidly and I get the same check light and coolant needle to the max. Start the bike and it resets....

it s a Suzuki glitch, other models do it as well. I learned the hard way by replacing everything related to cooling for nothing.

BB

Coolant temp sensor maybe? One on the back of the head?
I've seen that on cars quite a bit. Don't see why a bike can't have the same issue.

I would look for wires that are frayed or melted or ????

Sounds like and electrical problem of some sort.
Could be the sensor too.

Back