Very interesting article about a human

MC MUSTANG

Peace Keeper or Ban Hammer-it's up to you; IDMBT#9
Staff member
Administrator
Registered
I just finished reading an amazing article about a man who was reported to have broken the speed of sound without the use of external power or an engine of any kind.

several of us talk about use of a TRE, turbo, NOS, etc. to try and break 190MPH - but this guy did much more than that.  

Taken from the website:
Speed of a Skydiver (terminal velocity)

"On 16 August 1960, US Air Force Captain Joseph Kittinger entered the record books when he stepped from the gondola of a helium balloon floating at an altitude of 31,330 m (102,800 feet) and took the longest skydive in history. As of the writing of this supplement 39 years later, his record remains unbroken."

"According to Captain Kittinger's 1960 report in National Geographic, he was in free fall from 102,800 to 96,000 feet and then experienced no noticeable change in acceleration for an additional 6,000 feet despite having deployed his stabilization chute. This gave him an unprecedented 3900 m (12,800 feet) over which to accelerate."

"At nine-tenths the speed of sound, Captain Kittinger  holds the record for the greatest speed attained by a human without the use of an engine. The standard value of the speed of sound in air at 31,000 m is 670 mph.

or <span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'> 300 </span></span>m/s.

sad.gif

Ah come on - it was a little educational
smile.gif
I know, I know -
guns.gif

Between Omslaw and his marsupials and MC's terminal velocity, I think I could get my GED with the learnin' that's goin' on here!

With all the hype here I finally broke down & saw the movie - It was good, but cheesy.

I remember in Halo (High Alitude Low Opening) school in the late 60's when we thought jumping from 31,000 + was high. An Air Force Col. informed us our jumps should be called a LALO (Low Altitude Low Opening) and proceeded to tell us about how the AIR FORCE had a Real HALO jumper
laugh.gif

He did this out of a Balloon, and as I recall he actually triped when he went out of the door and started tumbling. NOW, that would fill you pants  
wow.gif

Never heard he broke the Sound Barrier though ! Bet his re-entry was a real BANG  
SHOCKED.gif

Back